CMD Body Panels

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Eddie Holland
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Re: CMD Body Panels

Unread post by Eddie Holland » September 22nd, 2013, 9:38 pm

I dont know if the rear member is the same or not. This picture was listed as for a M151A1 on a Danish website.
It looks the same as the one on my early M151. On the side angle pieces I was hoping to but weld it, but Im not an experienced welder, it may need to be lapped.

other part i need

Eddie
Last edited by Eddie Holland on September 24th, 2013, 8:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

RCA827
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by RCA827 » September 22nd, 2013, 10:14 pm

Guy the parts are for both the A1 and A 2, I remember him emailing me a year or so back telling me that all his parts are universal for both models unless specified to a particular model,If I remember correctly he has two models for the rear panels one for A1 and one for the A2. I hope that helps out. :D

Eddie Holland
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by Eddie Holland » September 22nd, 2013, 10:46 pm

i think that rear cross member is probably the same but if you are talking about the rear body panel the M151 is different than the A1 . I have M151 M151A1 and M151A2

RCA827
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by RCA827 » September 22nd, 2013, 11:18 pm

Eddie Holland wrote:i think that rear cross member is probably the same but if you are talking about the rear body panel the M151 is different than the A1 . I have M151 M151A1 and M151A2
Yes you are right the rear panels are different and Kurt Wehlast offers the A1 and A2 full rear panels you can check out his parts on his site .$$$$$ :D

RCA827
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by RCA827 » September 22nd, 2013, 11:58 pm

Guy do you plan to make up any of the supports that go under the rear fender to rear panel in the future ? :)

Francis Marion
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread post by Francis Marion » September 23rd, 2013, 1:31 pm

lpcoating wrote:At this time I have 8 tool box lids...

Guy
Make that 7.
1968 M151A1
1967 M416

RCA827
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by RCA827 » September 23rd, 2013, 8:06 pm

That s great Francis I took a set of rear fender tops with more parts to order, so good to finally have a source for well made and accurate body panels.thanks Guy and CDM. :D :D

lpcoating
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by lpcoating » September 23rd, 2013, 8:59 pm

Eddie Holland wrote:hi,
Are you familar familar with the rear crossmember behind the rear panel of an early M151. I am in need of one. If you are not making them I could come up with a cad drawing. I have done 3d cad and animation in Engineering and architecture the last 20 years. I have Autocad 2013. I also could you some pieces of the angled metal arounf the bottom of the body and the whell wells. also the fender tops.
Thanks Eddie
eddie_holland@bellsouth.net
If you can draw the parts that will help me out as I do not have a good part to work from. AutoCAD or a 3D model file - what ever is easier for you. Where are you located?
M151 Body Panels - http://www.m151bodypanels.com/

'68 A1 - Under full resto

lpcoating
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by lpcoating » September 23rd, 2013, 9:09 pm

The first batch of parts were primed with an Imron epoxy primer. As you all know, paint is not cheap. In order to keep cost down I would rather spray the finished parts with an anti-rust product. This would also be better when it comes time to weld parts on - you would not have to remove primer and you would not have to worry about paint adhesion between the primer coat and whatever paint top coat that you use. I'm looking for input. What say you?? :?: :?:

lpcoating
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by lpcoating » September 23rd, 2013, 9:27 pm

RCA827 wrote:Guy do you plan to make up any of the supports that go under the rear fender to rear panel in the future ? :)
I will take a look at them. I'm going to work on the rear floor and front floor panels. One of the advantages of modern equipment is that we do not have a make a special punch and die for every new part. The progressive rib tool will run right off the sheet if you let it! This is for everyone: Please keep in mind that I'm doing the design on my time and I will not be able to turn out a new part every week. Once parts are made and proven out re-making them is not an issue. We plan to run parts with a set lot size and will re-run as part inventory is sold. I look forward to getting more parts on the market for people but want to make sure that everyone has realistic expectations of progress.

Guy

Eddie Holland
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by Eddie Holland » September 23rd, 2013, 10:08 pm

lpcoating wrote:The first batch of parts were primed with an Imron epoxy primer. As you all know, paint is not cheap. In order to keep cost down I would rather spray the finished parts with an anti-rust product. This would also be better when it comes time to weld parts on - you would not have to remove primer and you would not have to worry about paint adhesion between the primer coat and whatever paint top coat that you use. I'm looking for input. What say you?? :?: :?:
I started a drawing of the rear crossmember a few weeks ago. I will check it again tomorrow. I have the rear panel off of my M151 and can get to the ate up from rust member easily. I live in Western Kentucky. One thing I dont understand in this type drawing is how to measure a radius of a 90 degree bend in the metal? do you just fake a radius size and let the machine just bend it to the angle you need? does that make sense?

lpcoating
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by lpcoating » September 23rd, 2013, 10:24 pm

When I make a part drawing I use the over-all dimensions. I do not worry about the bend radius at this point. For example: When I made my dash I drew up each surface as it's own part. I have a program that once you input the bend lengths, bend radius and material thickness it figures the overall length and where the bend lines are. After I have that information I merge the individual surfaces into one part. I think this is what you are asking me. While someone with better training (or an engineer) might not do it this way, it works for me!

Eddie Holland
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by Eddie Holland » September 24th, 2013, 8:22 am

Ok . I am going to double check the dimensions and get you a 3d model along with 2d drawings of each side with dimensions. Send me an email address to send the files to. I have Autocad 2013. Do you need it saved as a different version? I did a search on how to measure small radius. There are tools for this called radius gauge but they are very expensive.

RCA827
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by RCA827 » September 24th, 2013, 8:58 am

Guy as far as a primed panel is concerned I for one would not care if it was primed or not just the bare metal panel would suit me. :D

lpcoating
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by lpcoating » September 26th, 2013, 10:06 pm

When I was at the Gilbert show someone made the comment that the A2 tool box lid does not have the 4 stiffeners on the bottom side. Can someone with an A2 check your lid and let me know. Thank you...