Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Snapper
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Tootallmike signing out :(

Unread post by Snapper » September 1st, 2008, 4:26 pm

Hi there,

I should pass on more detail.

My name is Mark Barnes and I live in Westcliff On Sea, a town forty odd miles east of London in the UK. I am a photographer and writer for Classic Military Vehicle magazine and am also supplying odd bits and pieces for the new US title Armor Journal. I'm not advertising but I also post under the same username on the military vehicle website HMVF, which I moderate. I'm in the slow process of writing a book on the practicalities of military vehicle ownership. It's part type guide and part user manual. God knows when it will get finished...I'm some way off. Not fussed.Military history and vehicles have been a life long interest of mine. I was a soldier for a short time in the late 1970s and have worked in the newspaper business for the rest of the time. Twenty two years for Rupert Murdoch and eight for the old music paper Melody Maker which bit the dust some years ago. I spend a lot of time working on reviewing military books and have a big interest in battlefield touring. My gang of mates spend happy times visiting the Great War battlefields of Flanders and the Somme and we also get round Normandy every now and again.

I attend several military vehicle and living history shows each year - the biggest is as Beltring, where I do my share of the event photography for the show website. My son James and I usually camp for the week and spend all our cash on junk. It's brilliant! I was supposed to take the MUTT to an event this past weekend, but some family business got in the way.

I first saw a MUTT at the War & Peace show in 1998 and I wanted one straight away. The small problem was £££ - not enough of them. I've known Mike via HMVF for a couple of years or so and when he mentioned he'd sell the MUTT I was in like flint. I used to have a Volkswagen Iltis, which was fun; but lacked something I can't define and I didn't look after it very well. I'm hoping to get the MUTT to look something close to a Marine Corps vehicle from the 1991 Gulf War, all help on look and unit markings appreciated.

I think I've waffled enough. Apologies for any repeats.

Mark

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » September 1st, 2008, 6:39 pm

You mentioned an oil leak. I wouldn't worry about that as they all "weep" at least to some degree, especially when the differential gets hot. It is when they don't leak that you must be worrried.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

k8icu
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by k8icu » September 1st, 2008, 9:24 pm

Yeah all Mutts like to mark thier territory.... :D
There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove.....

Snapper
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by Snapper » October 3rd, 2008, 12:30 pm

raymond wrote:You mentioned an oil leak. I wouldn't worry about that as they all "weep" at least to some degree, especially when the differential gets hot. It is when they don't leak that you must be worrried.
So it isn't a real problem? I have noticed how hot the thing gets, and I suppose I had my Iltis hat on and though it was a nightmare because I had gear box problems within hours of buying the VW and I suppose there was an element of deja vu. So, I posted a similar question on this in technical issues which makes it sound a little more dramatic. But I'll be interested in the answers. It's all education. A forty year old motor should leak a bit...like a 49 year old bloke!
This makes me feel a lot better. I did not want to hassle Mike over it. I would never doubt his skills or integrity. I haven't driven the old girl for a month and have to recharge the batteries. I could do with recharging my own!

Cheers,

Mark

Grasshopper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by Grasshopper » May 3rd, 2017, 7:01 am

I've been having a nose around the forum, and this is the M151-A2 I now own having purchased it from Mark Barnes last year. It seems the leaks I've just cured have been there all the while! I assisted TootallMike with the restoration, and am still great friends with him (and he only lives about 4 miles from my house). He's currently employed restoring an ex-Israeli Super Sherman, and still has a Ward LaFrance M151-A1, just not the same one!

Vince

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » May 3rd, 2017, 9:05 am

What goes around, comes around. Glad to hear Mike is well and still at it. Tell him we all say hi. Did Mark replace the mutt or just get out of it?
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Grasshopper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by Grasshopper » May 3rd, 2017, 9:49 am

Mark was for various reasons unable to use the M151 as much as he envisaged, although he did take it on a tour of French battlefields. He's still active on the MV scene as a photographer, and I understand recently published a book of unseen WW2 photographs. The truck had sat in a garage for a good while, and having had it's MOT (UK road worthiness test) and service I'm undertaking some remedial work (from having sat for a while) and a thorough clean up. She's still done minimal mileage since Mikes restoration, and Mark was keen to see it kept "in the family" as we all have an affection for this little truck. It still had my wife's lipstick mark on the dash from when Mike sold it! The truck is actually sat in Mikes workshop at the moment, how things have changed since he restored it 10 years ago! It's nice to have the restorer and previous owner still interested in the well being of the vehicle, and I give Mark updates on it as I think he didn't really want to part with it. In fact I think it was Mike who persuaded Mark to sell it to me, as I was thinking of getting a WW2 jeep at the time. Kind of glad I got this truck instead as I have history with it to the extent that Mike would lend it to me on occasions, and I used to drive it to work before heading to a show he was driving his other vehicles to. Hopefully I'll have some pictures next week when the power pack is back in and she's all up and together.

WC Matt
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by WC Matt » May 13th, 2017, 7:48 pm

I've been without a G838 for several years now (sold my last one to krink762) but I'm still here.......

Matt