stoves and lanterns

This is the place to discuss Reenacting/Living History topics

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery, moose53

whiterabbit
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

stoves and lanterns

Unread post by whiterabbit » September 12th, 2014, 11:07 am

Picked this stove up for a few bucks a few months back. I had to solder a fitting that was leaking but runs like a champ now! I also drug out the old lanterns and cleaned them up. I had to sandblast the tops and repaint them. This paint is a perfect match so if you need to touch up your gear get a can. I found the paint at the same surplus store as the stove.
http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h33 ... 2893-1.jpg
"It’s the unconquerable soul of man, not the nature of the weapon he uses, that insures victory." Gen. George Patton

1986-2014 Ordnance Corps RETIRED!
XVIII Airborne Corps Combat Affiliation
Go Ordnance!
1972 M151A2
1978 exMOD 109 Land Rover S3 (sold)
1942 WLA
M274 (sold) Big mistake. Sigh....

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Re: stoves and lanterns

Unread post by m3a1 » January 17th, 2019, 10:52 pm

These double burner stoves go way back. I have a stack of these. It's been a while but I think my earliest goes back to early 1940s.

Generally, they were to be used for medical purposes (in-the-field sterilization). But, as you might imagine anyone with the means of carrying one (privileges of rank) might have one to make life just a bit more bearable. BTW, you should have the tri-fold wind cheater with your kit to make it complete. Early two-piece cases for these were constructed of aluminum. Lids started to show up in stainless steel at a later date as the aluminum lids were being used as frying pans and would eventually warp. Some lids will be found to be plainly marked with a caduceus (probably owing their being pilfered).

The general design of these has really not changed all that radically over the years. The fuel tanks are different and the central frame has changed several times (some even had a porcelain coating) but the fundamentals remain the same.

Cheers,
TJ