M-60 for MUTT

Here is where you can post items wanted for reenacting/living history uses.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery, moose53

eaglevets
Private First Class
Private First Class

M-60 for MUTT

Unread post by eaglevets » December 10th, 2015, 4:42 pm

I'm looking for a replica M-60 for my M151A2. No resin. Need something with some metal that will not only have the look, but the feel. Any good leads?

Thanks!

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Re: M-60 for MUTT

Unread post by m3a1 » March 10th, 2017, 2:58 pm

There are plenty of sources for non-guns made with many real parts. Quite expensive though. If you want to save significant money and still get a great value I'd suggest you look at the higher end airsoft M60s. Warning: If you are not familiar with airsoft, they are often promoted as "all metal" or "full metal" which is a reference to the gearboxes inside the gun, rather than the actual chassis of the weapon. That said, there are some terrific models out there that are well suited for the hobby and the obvious side benefit is you get to plink with it, which is great fun. I have an M249 and a 240B that are absolutely indistinguishable from the real thing until you pick them up.

Cheers,
TJ

eaglevets
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: M-60 for MUTT

Unread post by eaglevets » March 10th, 2017, 4:46 pm

I purchased an M-60 from Airsoft during a sale for about $300. It weights 23 pounds and is all metal, inside and out. You can even feed a belt of 7.62 into it for effect. Of course, it won't fire. It came with an orange plastic suppressor; I swapped it our for a real one, which screwed in perfectly. The carry handle was not as stable as it should be (I think the metal was a bit soft and I anticipated it wouldn't take much to break), so I replaced it with a carry handle from a real M-60. It fit just fine. My M-60 is not mounted on the MUTT. I let kids hold it for picture-taking. It's the popular thing about the vehicle!