A place to post pics and descriptions of ongoing restoration projects

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Re: Waking up a Texas M151A2

Unread post by m3a1 » September 18th, 2016, 10:42 pm

Ex Post Facto

Thank you for the info Horst. I was just looking at some of your pics from 2014. Very, very nice!
Last edited by m3a1 on May 17th, 2018, 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » September 20th, 2016, 9:48 am

Too hot to work today. Texas must be closer to the sun than the rest of the planet. 108 degree heat index! But the new horn button switch came in the mail today which is some small cause for celebration.
Last edited by m3a1 on August 23rd, 2017, 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Txjeeper81
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by Txjeeper81 » September 20th, 2016, 10:47 am

Yeah I tried to do some more welding and body work on my A2 on Sunday and it was a killer after doing a couple hours of work I call it a day.
CSM In the Texas State Guard
National United States Armed Forces Museum
1943 MB W/Trailer "Puddle Jumper II"
1968 m274A5 "Little S.N.A.F.U"
1976 M151a2 "Kermit"

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » September 20th, 2016, 11:27 am

I'm lucky enough to have a shade tree to work under but that kinda works against me because I'm not really aware of the heat when I'm focused on the wrenching. I'm getting baked, more than seared and pan-fried. :lol:

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » September 29th, 2016, 9:36 pm

Fell out of bed today and decided it was high time to replace the horn button my my truck.

I've been working on getting the place ready for Halloween (though Walmart already has Christmas up! :roll: ) so not much has been happening A2-wise.

This tale should start with examining the steering wheel but, alas, it did not....not that it would have made much difference. The hub of the steering wheel has succumbed to the years of Texas heat....so when I pulled the circular retaining clip, off came the whole hub cover!! :shock: It is safe to say that is not mentioned in the TM. Suddenly I saw myself buying a new steering wheel, etc. etc...and you know how I hate clean spots....and what the heck has been nesting in there?!!

Well, I said to hell with it and forged ahead, popping the horn switch (button) out of the mount. Hmmm...that copper collar is shiny....therefor it is important.

So I moved that over to the new switch and then looked over the route the wire takes. Isn't that LOVELY? That's why we do it, guys.

I wish I had started the job with an extra one of these cone-shaped seal thingies because this one pretty much came apart....at least the outside bit. Getting the sleeve out was another matter.

So I MacGyvered it out. One large safety pin sacrificed to the Gods...
....and that's all she wrote..

Saved and reused the electrical connector collar from the old wire because the external diameter of the insulation on this wire is much larger than most other wires in the truck. It was still a close fit requiring a little silicone to get it on the new switch's wire.

I reinstalled the steering wheel's center hub cover to the steering wheel, securing it with black RTV and that seemed to do the trick for now.

The horn sounds much better now that it's getting full voltage.
Last edited by m3a1 on May 17th, 2018, 8:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » September 29th, 2016, 9:49 pm

Oh, and I finally got my jerry can put on. As it turns out, the jerry can does a terrific job of distracting the eye from the large rust spot and concealing the fact that the left rear bumperette is somewhat pushed in.. Unfortunately, that NOS strap system is way to nice for my truck as it violates the "Thou Shalt Not Make A Clean Spot Rule."

Here are some pics for you to enjoy.

And finally, to bare my soul, I put the transmission cover back on today with new boots and seals.....and afterward, remembered that I hadn't topped off the fluids under there! Will someone please just shoot me?
Last edited by m3a1 on May 17th, 2018, 8:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Jay Mallari
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread post by Jay Mallari » September 30th, 2016, 1:39 am

Comparing the size of your left hand to the brake drum, you must be at least 100ft tall :lol:

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » September 30th, 2016, 1:50 am

Let me tell ya, that bit came off a lot easier than the brake drums! :lol: :lol: :lol:

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » October 25th, 2016, 9:54 pm

Well, here's what has been going on. I'm sure some of you noticed the deplorable condition of my TEMPER tent. THAT has been resolved and with it, comes quite a story. I found a source in Austin Texas that claimed to have a large number of panels for very reasonable prices (mine requires three) so after an hour's drive we arrived to find one lousy panel that was still serviceable. Everything else he had had all the attributes of potato chips, except the flavor. So, my guy called another guy who he had donated a large number of tent panels to and that fellow arrived just as I was getting ready to leave and I was anxious to leave because Austin rush hour is a disaster writ large, two times a day, 365 days a year.

Ever hear the saying, "Keep Austin Weird"? Well the fella that showed up looked like a homeless person but he was very clean and I figured maybe he was just another one of the endless number of people devoted to keeping Austin weird. We threw his bicycle up on the roof of my Yukon and I took him and my one good panel to the place where he kept his stash of panels and so we ended up in rush hour traffic anyway and crept to the edge of Austin, where we ended up winding down a lane cut through a heavily overgrown piece of land and popped out in a clearing that was a homeless encampment or possibly a movie set left over from The Walking Dead. My first thought was, terrific, we're going to be hit over the head and eaten by cannibals, but I was happy to see the entire population of the place was nowhere to be seen as they were undoubtedly out panhandling or carried away and murdered by another group of homeless...but we were getting to the end of the day and I didn't want to stay for dinner and a show, if you get my drift. This guy spent half an hour pointing out various tents and telling us who lived there. After the second time around finding out who lived where, I cut him off and suggested we get down to it. Long story short, I bought two serviceable panels that were strung up and being used to cover a converted horse trailer (because after all, all you have to do to convert a horse trailer to a house trailer is change the 'r' to a 'u') and the whole magilla was undoubtedly someone's abode. All his other panels were gone or in tatters in great decaying ribbons of desert tan canvas.

So, I have officially sunk to a new low when it comes to surplus hunting....but I do have a complete tent to work under again.

Cheers,
TJ

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » October 27th, 2016, 5:49 pm

There are so many things going on around here it's been hard to focus. It's nearly time to start working on the half track which means I have to settle the dust on some other projects.

Along with other misc. things to be accomplished on the A2, I wanted to be able to put the pioneer tools on it and I found a lightly used shovel at a yard sale for $5.00 and it looked like it had a pretty good angle at the neck like the mil spec ones but, once I got it home, it was clear it wasn't a very good fit at all. I have seen lots of pictures of these trucks with shovels that aren't USGI and in my humble opinion, they look horrible hanging out and away from the side of the truck. They also look like a good way to create yet another rattle so today, I modified my $5 investment to get it tucked in better. I started with making a template of the business end of the shovel. Once that was cut out, I traced cut lines on the shovel head at 1/2" intervals and then eyeballed it until I was satisfied I was going to be cutting it as far back as possible without making the shovel head look too short. The effect of cutting the shovel head back is that it brings the shovel closer to the side of the body. I think I left it with pretty good proportions and still have a shovel that works well.

It's not perfectly flat against the sidewall, but still, it's tucked in nicely.

Not bad for $5 and a little paint!

Cheers,
TJ
Last edited by m3a1 on May 17th, 2018, 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » November 13th, 2016, 1:28 pm

I went to fire up the A2 today and it did so immediately...but then it crapped out. Several attempts ended the same way and I suspect a fuel supply issue. I know it sounds crazy but, frankly, I'm excited. It's time to roll up my sleeves and get back to work on the little truck!

Maybe a new fuel pump is needed but we'll be starting with checking the fuel filter.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » November 13th, 2016, 7:05 pm

I replaced the fuel filter first. I selected a clear one mainly for troubleshooting purposes. I don't like this kind of filter as I never get the feeling they are robust enough as compared to metal. Noo joy. Replaced the fuel pump and BAM!! ...we are back in business!

Fil Bonica
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Fil Bonica » November 13th, 2016, 7:36 pm

Check the oil sump for sjgns of gasoline in the oil.
Very common.

)fil Bonica
K1ABW

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » November 13th, 2016, 8:58 pm

Also check the air cleaner since the gas will come out of the fuel pump vent and right up to the air cleaner. Then you be wondering why it is running rich.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » November 15th, 2016, 11:44 pm

I think I REALLY lucked out. The pump probably went out when I drove it around the house and parked it in the back...with probably just enough fuel in the bowl to get me there. When I returned a week later it wouldn't start. No stray gas detectible in either area. All the oils smell good with no noticeable odor of gasoline. I will probably change the oil as a purely precautionary measure. Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity so "luckily" I had a spare fuel pump in the Great Big Box Of Everything. No muss. No fuss....other than having to procure another pump to replace the one I just installed.

Out of curiosity, are these pumps rebuildable? Kits?