Waking up a Texas M151A2

A place to post pics and descriptions of ongoing restoration projects

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Waking up a Texas M151A2

Unread post by m3a1 » August 28th, 2016, 10:43 pm

Well, fellas, it's been nearly TWO years! When I last posted was sometime around Sept 2014. At that time, I was (and still am) working on an Alley Cat project.

I imagine many of you have a reputation in your community as being "the guy with all the military vehicles" which means you probably have also had knocks on the door from someone who wants to pick your brain about a former military vehicle they found, or wants to tell you about one they want to sell. Such was the case with this particular M151A2.

I began by telling this guy that I had enough projects (is that even possible?) to last me until Kingdom come but I did offer to look it over and see if I could help him sell it. To make a long story short, I ended up buying it from him.

So, at that time, I took delivery of a barely running (but it was running) little truck with very few redeeming qualities. It was a nasty, flakey mess. I think what really struck me as being most important was, that despite its patently weary appearance, it was almost completely intact having received no scythe-like modifications from its previous or original owner which, in my experience, is a rare thing indeed. So, we came to that place and time where ownership changed hands once again and the little truck found a new home and so having made it mine, I blasted off as much of the peeling paint as I could manage with a power washer, and there it sat, and sat, and sat.

So many things happen in life that can derail us from our fun projects. In my case, my one remaining parent passed in October 2014 and with that began all the things that take place when disposing of an estate with a far-flung family. Then holidays, a daughter joining the Army and a strange series of events where not one, but TWO of our vehicles were totaled by drunk drivers in two separate incidents two weeks apart and both were rear ended as they sat, legally parked at the curb, on a broad, straight city street! Then MORE holidays and finally, fast forward to about May 2016.

Frankly, I had no real cause to think that this A2 would have the slightest inclination to run for me but as Dad always said, "Live in hope and die in prosperity.."
So, I cleaned up the battery box and then ignored the truck. I rounded up two used 12v batteries and put them in the truck then ignored it some more. As you can see, my standard tactic is ninja like stealth. I prefer to sneak up on these projects. Then one morning when I was feeling lucky I went out and it STARTED! When I say it started, I mean it started like it wanted to run and it hadn't run in a year and a half. The gauges came to life, it was charging, making good oil pressure....the works. Well, I can take a hint. So, I sorted out a few fuel leaks and installed an in-line fuel filter because the gas looked bad (like weak tea) and smelled more like oil than gas but oddly, it didn't smell like bad gas....just different; a strange brew of who knows what.

As you can well imagine, not everything is perfect on a truck such as this. It only runs at almost full choke, yet has no detectible vacuum leaks. There is no response at the idle-mixture screw so I'm reasonably sure we have a gunked-up carb but it runs well enough to only barely creep out of its parking place next to the driveway. The throttle response is immediate but then it kills the engine. I have a fresh carb for it so clearly, that will have to go on. Meanwhile, I'm changing fluids and seeking a replacement oil pan drain plug (anyone?)

I have a major issue to hurdle at the moment. I have all new foundation brake components, but despite all reasonable efforts, the brake drums won't release themselves from the hubs. I've backed off the shoes, removed the rust accumulation at the hub, used PB Blaster penetrant and applied heat and they show no signs of any movement at the hub...rust-welded, I suppose. Any techniques you may have successfully used would be most welcome. I'd rather finesse these off than bring out the big guns.

Meanwhile, I've installed a new master cylinder, cleaned out the brake lines (which seem no worse for wear) and got a good pedal with DOT5 but, alas, the left front wheel cylinder is leaking and that nasty wet spot on the tire makes me want to get those drums off even more.
Last edited by m3a1 on September 11th, 2016, 10:38 pm, edited 6 times in total.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Re: Waking up a Texas M151A2

Unread post by m3a1 » August 28th, 2016, 10:47 pm

And here it is...

Last edited by m3a1 on May 17th, 2018, 8:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » August 28th, 2016, 10:51 pm

I'm going to need some help figuring out this vehicle's credentials. I found a very good post on this forum regarding rounding up the necessary clues for year of manufacture so tomorrow, time and weather permitting, I'll be looking this over carefully and posting the results. Do we have a go-to guy on the g838 who can do the necessary sleuthing?

fergrn37
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by fergrn37 » August 28th, 2016, 11:12 pm

Looks like a good data plate on the dash and a good hood number. Contact muttguru, he knows stuff about numbers. Brake drums, do they have keeper screws holding them on? No? Penetrating oil around hub and studs, let sit over night, whack with dead blow hammer.

(P.S. I are jealous)
Some people are too busy knowing it all to ever learn anything

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » August 28th, 2016, 11:37 pm

Since I have you all nice and jealous, I'll do a bit more bragging on this. First, there's not a straight panel ANYWHERE on this truck! That, coupled with the rather unique "Random Camo" paint scheme, means I can hide this in the bushes and no one will recognize it as a a military vehicle. If they do see me they'll probably assume I'm a homeless beggar living in a derelict automobile, but I dare say it will likely disappear completely. And by the way, I think I may be the first to coin the phrase "Random Camo." :roll:

And now, back to bragging. I now have ALL the lights working....every ding-danged one of 'em!
Last edited by m3a1 on September 11th, 2016, 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » August 29th, 2016, 12:12 am

More pics from when I received this...way back in 2014

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx9/ ... G_3529.jpg

Unstamped data plate

I scavenged some old serviceable seat pads for this...

A little rust and a bumperette that has taken a good hit.

"Random Camo"

Tastefully applied, refined stenciling....yet delightfully tacky!

It's SO much fun doing the master cylinder with the ROPS in the way!

Head to head challenge.....Alley Cat vs. M151A2

In rust we trust!

Front transverse cross member. Frankly, I think his was a bad idea that was poorly executed.

Still reasonably intact back here!

*sigh* :roll:

When they are taken off, parts such as this wiring guard, get blasted and recoated before they are reinstalled. Note that the inner diagonal panel were cut away in order to install the ROPS. Would the military have done it this way...or was this more likely done by a civilian?

Not too bad.....yet.

Was this crossmember actually designed to purposefully self-destruct?!

Happily, if you can't stand to look at the transverse member up front, all you have to do is look away, towards the rear.

Oh, I bet those bushings are gonna SQUEEK!

Yes, that IS a boat plug where the oil pan drain plug should be. There was no extra charge for that, by the way.

Last edited by m3a1 on August 23rd, 2017, 11:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Horst
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Horst » August 29th, 2016, 12:51 am

cutting that rib is the proper way of installing it, so very likely a military installation of the ROPS
Horst

1972 USMC M151A2 w/ROPS (ex Barstow) and M416
1962 M201 and trailer
1966 GTO,1982 E350 Skoolie, 1987 SJ413, 1987 911
Gone: 2xM35A2c, Unimog 404S, Hanomag AL28, DKW Munga

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by muttguru » August 29th, 2016, 6:15 am

m3a1 wrote:I'm going to need some help figuring out this vehicle's credentials. I found a very good post on this forum regarding rounding up the necessary clues for year of manufacture so tomorrow, time and weather permitting, I'll be looking this over carefully and posting the results. Do we have a go-to guy on the g838 who can do the necessary sleuthing?
Hello M3a1,
what you have is a Ford-built 2nd-series M151A2, delivered Oct/Nov 1970....a fairly rare item ! If you lift the hood, then look at the firewall, you should find a small plate attached, centrally. Let me know those letters & numbers stamped on that plate and I may be able to tell you more.
ps...the dash dataplate looks like a new one...not the original.
ken
Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » August 29th, 2016, 10:33 am

Lightening fast response by Muttguru and thank you for that!

So, the plate you referenced shows ORD 11639700.
BUDD S/N # 11170

The data plate on the dash is not original to the vehicle. It's totally blank.

Is there any chance of building up the VIN from the information we have so far? I'd like the DMV to do a title search to see if there is one out there so having at least the sequential and the year of manufacture will narrow things down significantly. Frankly, I doubt it was ever titled but you never know.
Last edited by m3a1 on May 17th, 2018, 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » August 29th, 2016, 11:06 am

You have the Vin on the hood. That is the only VIN there is unless you make something up. That is the number that would have been on the original data plate.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » August 29th, 2016, 12:02 pm

Outstanding. This is a giant leap forward for me. Still have a few more questions for you guys. Here goes -

I've browsed through the forum and can't find an explanation as to how or what the ORD and BUDD numbers relate to.

Can someone briefly explain these?

Again, thank you very much for the information you've provided!

By the way, I was under the truck yesterday and found a tag on the trans showing "04-20-82 SER. P03411." From what I've found from earlier posts, this is a rebuild or manufacture tag, right? I know that because this is a replaceable item it holds little or no sway as to the history of the vehicle but this 04-20-82 is a date, correct?

I also read in an earlier post, that there is a tag that has the body tub part number (I have yet to find it on my truck) that is a derivative of the VIN. Is that information still good information?

Also, you made mention that this is a fairly rare truck. I've been in the MV hobby for some time and I don't get all starry-eyed when I hear the word "rare" but what makes this rare? Is it the end of the Ford production run, or what?

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by muttguru » August 29th, 2016, 1:48 pm

m3a1 wrote: I've browsed through the forum and can't find an explanation as to how or what the ORD and BUDD numbers relate to.
I also read in an earlier post, that there is a tag that has the body tub part number (I have yet to find it on my truck) that is a derivative of the VIN. Is that information still good information?
The ORD is the Ordnance Part Number for an M151A2 (irrespective of manufacturer).
You have already found the body tub number.The BUDD number is the body number of this specific tub. As Rick has indicated, you can use the Hood Number as the VIN, but your full hood number should read 02HT 0470-33505. Here in England, we tend to use the BUDD number as the VIN but I can't speak for your DMV...you'll need to sort it out with them.
m3a1 wrote: Also, you made mention that this is a fairly rare truck. I've been in the MV hobby for some time and I don't get all starry-eyed when I hear the word "rare" but what makes this rare? Is it the end of the Ford production run, or what?
Ford built an early version of the A2 and then a "product-improved" version. The main difference is in the shape of the front fenders. The early ones have continued to turn up but the second version seems not to have lasted as well as the first. Maybe the paint was thinner, or the primer was poorer....whatever, there are fewer that I know of (but that's no guarantee that I'm right) :D

ken
Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » August 29th, 2016, 5:57 pm

Wow, this keeps betting better and better and I mean that in a good way because the vin build-up is going to be a very important piece of information for a proper title search.

The "33505" you've offered at the end of the hood number is derived from where?

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » August 29th, 2016, 6:42 pm

Data plate - left side of engine.

Last edited by m3a1 on May 17th, 2018, 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » August 29th, 2016, 7:31 pm

Looks like a 68 contract engine, probably the original engine. Again, this would be rare since they seemed to change the powerpack for just about any reason at all.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone