Texas M151A1 Resurrection

A place to post pics and descriptions of ongoing restoration projects

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

rickf
General
General

Re: Texas M151A1 Resurrection

Unread post by rickf » October 16th, 2016, 7:56 pm

As Ken said, It is a Keihn carb off of a foreign car or motorcycle. And as I can now see it has been mocked up and is just hanging there by a piece of wire. No attachment to the manifold at all. It could be made to run if you modify the manifold to accept the carb mount and then adapt the stock linkage over to a cable linkage. But no it is not the original and will not run without quite a bit of fabrication. I can tell you that the motor never ran in that configuration. You might want to pull the plugs and squirt some oil in each cylinder and then try to turn it over by hand. Check first to make sure the crankcase is not full of water from condensation because as soon as you turn it over, even by hand, the oil pump will push whatever is in there through the engine.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

attackpilot
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by attackpilot » October 16th, 2016, 8:44 pm

Thanks, RIck!

That being the case, I'll simply replace it. Would rather not mess with going down the road of mocking one up, when the NOS (or other replacement) units seem to be relatively easy to come by.

As far as turning the engine over, that's exactly my plan. I really appreciate the input and advice from everyone, please keep it coming! I'm hoping I find oil and no water in the engine, transmission, and transfer cases. Won't be able to tear into it for several weeks at best, several months at worst... But I will keep all posted right here. Stay tuned!
1966 Ford M151A1
1997 Jeep Cherokee XJ
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Polar

RIP: 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ (Sold), 1993 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Rolled), 1987 Suzuki Samurai x3 (Sold, Rolled, Junked).

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » October 16th, 2016, 8:46 pm

At this time, you're still in the assessment phase with this machine.

You might just as well begin with an oil and filter change. Oil and filters are cheap. You'll soon be powering it up and checking electrical and turning the engine over. You don't need a functional carb for that.

An oil change will protect your engine from a lot of undue hardship and give you an opportunity to see what's in that old oil or on the oil drain plug magnet, which will give you a lot of heads-up on other potential problems. You'll want to have a look at your coolant too.

By the way, once you're sure the engine isn't seized or making some horrendous noise, which we all hope is soon, that would be the time to ask the wife for a carb for Christmas. Wink-wink, nudge-nudge. Timing is everything.

attackpilot
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by attackpilot » October 16th, 2016, 8:53 pm

m3a1 wrote:At this time, you're still in the assessment phase with this machine.
No doubt!

Y'all are the best. Thanks everyone for the attention! I also hope I get to start tearing into this thing soon, but space is something I won't have until my new house is built. Between now and final paint, I know there will be many questions, and I hope you'll have many answers.

Thanks again! More to follow...
1966 Ford M151A1
1997 Jeep Cherokee XJ

RIP: 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ (Sold), 1993 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Rolled), 1987 Suzuki Samurai x3 (Sold, Rolled, Junked).

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » October 16th, 2016, 9:34 pm

If it has been sitting for more than a year I would suggest taking the valve cover off and pouring some Marvel mystery oil over the valves to get the valve guides lubricated. Could save you some grief later down the road when you do turn it over. A stuck valve can either bend a push rod or if you are lucky just pop it out or it could break the rocker arm. Better safe than sorry. Do this after the oil change since the Marvel will help with other stuck things in the engine once it starts circulating through. The sooner you change the oils the sooner you will NOT forget to do it in the excitement to get it running. Plus, like was said, this way you know if there was any water in the engine or trans and can plan ahead if there is.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » October 16th, 2016, 11:43 pm

Yep. Best of all, this is stuff that doesn't require any special space or a great deal of money. Basic prevention (which is worth a pound of cure, at least).

Meanwhile, you could shoot us some more photos. You'll get plenty of commentary and insight into what you're facing which will help you make your battle plan.

There's a lot that can be accomplished at this point without tearing too far into this truck or spending a lot of money. Among them, I'd suggest inspecting the brakes (it's important that it stops as well as runs, eh?), checking fluids, looking for other deficiencies and making a prioritized list to to-do's which will ultimately help you prioritize your acquisition of parts.

attackpilot
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by attackpilot » November 3rd, 2016, 10:58 pm

It's been a while since I posted last, so I thought I would give an update so y'all know this thing is still for real. I've been working a lot of overtime lately, so between that and honey-do's, I haven't had any time to work on the rig. However, since my last post, I now have a clean TX Title in hand, which shows the vehicle as a 1966 Ford (Body Style LL). I've also received a bunch of radios from the previous owner, all of which are labelled "US Army Signal Corps," and obviously not original to the vehicle. I have all the associated cables and anti-vibration isolation mounts as well. If anyone is interested in or have any information on the radios, please feel free to drop a line. I don't know whether any of them are in working order at this point, but I'm inclined to sell them for cash... or maybe a carburetor!

Click photo below for more in IG post:

Last edited by attackpilot on April 22nd, 2020, 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
1966 Ford M151A1
1997 Jeep Cherokee XJ

Husker
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by Husker » November 5th, 2016, 11:27 am

Only thing I recognize is the prc 77 or 25 in the vrc mount
It would or proper for your vehicle era dependent

If you don't keenit I would be interested in it and it's mounting hardware especially if you have the reinforcement plate for the fender
US Army Fort Belvoir

19XX M35 something. Sold......
1972 M151A2
1967 M416
On the hunt for an M1031

attackpilot
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by attackpilot » November 13th, 2016, 1:31 am

I'll definitely keep you in mind, Husker. Thanks for the reply, and sorry for the delay in mine!
1966 Ford M151A1
1997 Jeep Cherokee XJ

attackpilot
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by attackpilot » January 7th, 2019, 5:37 pm

Wow... has it really been that long since I’ve posted here???

I haven’t forgotten about the rig, or about my thread here. So we moved into the new house, and the 3-car garage wasn’t big enough for all my projects... so we built a 30x40 shop, and I got the MUTT out of the elements. It’s been in there for about the past year. I stole a carb off eBay for $25, and removed the retrofitted Keihein. Now that Christmas and hunting season is behind me, I’ve started to plan my moves starting with rickf’s suggestions.

Here’s a pic of the power pack data plate. Hope there’s good news on that front!

More to follow.

Last edited by attackpilot on April 22nd, 2020, 10:45 am, edited 5 times in total.
1966 Ford M151A1
1997 Jeep Cherokee XJ

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » January 7th, 2019, 6:28 pm

If you haven't put some kind of lubricant in the cylinders (I like Marvel Mystery oil) and up top in the valve assembly (as Rick suggested), you've wasted a lot of time.

The heart of your truck is the engine. Its overall health will be what steers this project for some time to come.

Baby steps, man. Baby steps.

Cheers,
TJ

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » January 9th, 2019, 1:29 am

Looks like a Marine front bumper. I would be happy to trade you mine (Army front bumper).
Tell us more about your flying history. I always want to hear about Helicopter Pilots and their stories. !! Cheers
Also, Where about's do you live ?. You might have a neighbor here to help you. :wink:

attackpilot
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by attackpilot » January 10th, 2019, 12:35 am

m3a1 wrote:If you haven't put some kind of lubricant in the cylinders (I like Marvel Mystery oil) and up top in the valve assembly (as Rick suggested), you've wasted a lot of time.
The heart of your truck is the engine. Its overall health will be what steers this project for some time to come.
No doubt, TJ! I appreciate it. I've kept the engine lubricated while its been in my workshop, and will likely give it another treatment of the Marvel before I start trying to make things turn. (I remember you initially suggested it, and it seemed sound advice!). I've changed my outlook on the project after talking to you and others, and will ensure its more than a rolling chassis before I even begin to dig into the body or cosmetics.
1966 Ford M151A1
1997 Jeep Cherokee XJ

attackpilot
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by attackpilot » January 10th, 2019, 12:39 am

acudanut wrote:Looks like a Marine front bumper. I would be happy to trade you mine (Army front bumper).
Tell us more about your flying history. I always want to hear about Helicopter Pilots and their stories. !! Cheers
Also, Where about's do you live ?. You might have a neighbor here to help you. :wink:
Thanks, acudanut, and I appreciate your input on my thread! Sorry it's so slow moving...

As far as the bumpers go, I'd actually like to keep my rig as original as possible. As it turns out, it is very likely its an uncut specimen, and all the numbers appear to match. Thanks for the offer, though.

Cliff notes on my flying: Former Army Scout/Attack, a little time unarmed and unafraid in OH-58 A/C's, but all my real Army time and combat time was in Apache's. Got out as a Standardization Instructor, Instrument Examiner, and Master Gunner. 3 combat tours, Iraq and Afghanistan. I fly civilian medevac now. I don't have much in the way of stories... But I was blessed to serve with a lot of amazing men and women who have plenty to go around.

I'm in Texas, for life now, God willing.
1966 Ford M151A1
1997 Jeep Cherokee XJ

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » January 10th, 2019, 2:26 pm

PM sent to attackpilot. Check your inbox.