M151a2 In Vietnam.

A place to post pics and descriptions of ongoing restoration projects

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

EODJIM
Corporal
Corporal

Re: M151a2 In Vietnam.

Unread post by EODJIM » December 27th, 2016, 10:37 am

I was having some problems with fouling and suspected the head gasket and ignition timing. So I took the Mutt to Saigon Jeep a local restoration shop that specializes in Jeeps and M151 family. There we saw a Russian UAZ not something I get to see every day. I think the complete ready to roll restored price came out to about $6500 for this if I recall the exchange correctly.

While there I ended up getting a re-ring and ignition timed as well as new fuel lines run and head gasket installed They just did allot of little detail work that wasn't quoted and kept his price which is unusual for Vietnam many places will try to drive the price up. He even gave me a new distributor top cover. It shows they take great pride in their work. Since I am on vacation and don't feel like buying a duplicate garage full of tools like I have at home this was my best option and I do not regret it one bit. I went to Long Khanh were I have a Garage and began the wiring harness replacement I had brought one from the states knowing that there were problems with the one on the mutt. My Brother in law got a circut breaker and a new oil filter form Saigon Jeep and brought it the next day. The reason for that is, Saigon jeep added some oil after the re- ring and I cannot be 100% sure what they used. I am using Shell 15w-40 and wanted to make sure it was all fresh and new without contamination. Since My borthers are going to be taking care of her and driving her when I am not there I figured it was a good time to teach them how to do an oil change.

New old stock WIX filter 10/70 older than I am.
After getting the wiring done My Brother and I decided to give the Mutt a good scrubbing. G.I. stye.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » December 27th, 2016, 5:53 pm

Ok, Hold on a minute here. You got new rings while you waited? They took the powerpak out and dropped the pan, popped out the pistons and rods, put new rings on and reassembled the whole thing and shoved the motor back in while you waited? I find that one hard to believe even as industrious as the Vietnamese are they are not miracle workers!
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

kmam
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread post by kmam » December 27th, 2016, 7:22 pm

Don't forget new fuel lines, lots of little jobs, timing...

But he didn't say how ling he waited :) Remember he is on holidays.

Howard
Howard

Daimler Ferret Mk 1/2
AM General M151A2
Austin Champ

Horst
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Horst » December 27th, 2016, 7:34 pm

very clean engine and engine bay. Looks good. Why somebody decided a 151 needs a brake booster is probably a little hard to understand.
Horst

1972 USMC M151A2 w/ROPS (ex Barstow) and M416
1962 M201 and trailer
1966 GTO,1982 E350 Skoolie, 1987 SJ413, 1987 911
Gone: 2xM35A2c, Unimog 404S, Hanomag AL28, DKW Munga

EODJIM
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by EODJIM » December 27th, 2016, 8:08 pm

Rick I had my doubts as well at first but it was at Saigon Jeep for five days. They do specialize in this kind of work so No it is not out of the question. I did have the owner send me pictures of the progress. No need to pull the engine for a re ring. Dropping the pan and pushing pistons out the top is easy enough.

kmam
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread post by kmam » December 27th, 2016, 8:11 pm

Now I am really intersted! I have to do some work on the oil pump which means pulling the power plant, or so I thought.

But that may not be necessay if I can drop the pan. How do you do that while in situ?

Howard
Howard

Daimler Ferret Mk 1/2
AM General M151A2
Austin Champ

EODJIM
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by EODJIM » December 27th, 2016, 9:04 pm

I think it is common in this part of the world for folks to replace failed parts with some adaption of a toyota part that will work. Some M151 parts are hard to source or expensive. When I got it, the distributor adaptor had the top housing cut off and clocked to the right and brazed back on so that a Toyota distributor would work. it also had an electric fuel pump mounted between the seats and a rubber hose for fuel line. The headlights were standard headlights with push connectors not the origional style like I have now. Image
before
now it is correct
notice the clock position of the timing adjustment slot, It has been cut off and clocked to the right then brazed back on. in order to accept a toyota distributor and coil.

Image stock fuel pump was missing entirely. all rubber fuel line and electric fuel pump were in place.

Image Notice the fuel pump between the seats and the battery cables one of the batteries was dead. we got a charger and one new battery for about $80usd.
Imageeven after rebuilding the old carb. there was too much air leaking past the throttle shaft which was completly worn. I discarded it in favor of a new old stock carb.

Horst
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Horst » December 28th, 2016, 5:05 am

I don't get it how you would drop the oil pan with the engine in place. But even if it is possible, pulling the power pack is still faster in my opinion. But I am ready to learn!
Horst

1962 M201 and trailer

EODJIM
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by EODJIM » December 28th, 2016, 8:04 am

Drive shaft remove, pitman arm remove, idler arm remove, brake line remove, front suspension unbolt and roll out the unit.
uni-body supported by a couple of jack stands and for extra safety a bridge bar supporting the engine. you are free to work.

If you are just replacing an oil pump you don't have to remove your wiring harness, exhaust, accelerator linkage, shifter housing,shifter,both drive shafts,air cleaner boot, front grill, headlight harness. fuel line, body to engine ground or battery cable. Just a simpler way to do it. This is a common procedure with front wheel drive cars in modern service facilities. often referred to as a K-Member drop. in which case the entire drive train comes out with the lower K-member.

Another advantage of this method for an Oil pump is that it enables you to fire it up and check your pressure as soon as you have the pan on and new oil in. If you remove everything you have to do all of the work before you know if you are good again or not. If it is not corrected you have to do it all again. With the Suspension drop method if you have a problem you can address it in short order.

Horst
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Horst » December 28th, 2016, 8:58 am

ok, makes sense.

Still I would not do it that way but it is certainly something to think about.
Horst

1962 M201 and trailer

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » December 28th, 2016, 10:47 am

True, it can be done that way but a lot less to disconnect and reassemble but pulling the engine out! No brakes to bleed or lines to worry about. But I agree, in that time I am sure it was done, I though this was a one day thing.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

kmam
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread post by kmam » December 28th, 2016, 5:29 pm

I am in the final stages of my resto. As I need to replace the brake lines and a thorough inspection of the front suspension woukd not be amiss, this might be a better solution for ,y oil pumpmremoval.

Howard
Howard

Daimler Ferret Mk 1/2
AM General M151A2
Austin Champ

EODJIM
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by EODJIM » December 29th, 2016, 11:52 am

My brother in-law and I visited a machine shop in Long Khanh to have a couple of the holes in the clutch z-bar that were egged out pretty badly from 45 years of use, welded shut and re-drilled. I was a little less than satisfied with the quality of workmanship. I had my misgivings on seeing the shop condition. But if figured my borther-in law knows the good places in town to go to. Well instead of doing it the way I imagined it being done such as welding the hole shut and measuring the clutch rod , grinding or milling the weld smooth and drilling the propper diameter hole, It got half welded shut and then the guy forces a (close enough ) drill in and starts using the flutes of the drill to ream out the hole. The whole time I'm screaming inside NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Not like that. He couldn't get the rod to fit in the hole and started to turn on his grinding wheel to make it fit. I yelled NO! in English and he stopped in his tracks and took it back over to the drill bit of death. All said and done it is slightly better than it was. I only had to pay a Dollar to have it done. And know I will never take things back there again. Sometimes you just have to ride out the adventure when you are away from home.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » December 29th, 2016, 2:19 pm

I have seen much worse looking shops than that produce some amazing work but it seems you found one that does not. Is that the shop owner in the helmet? I think you may be sorry you got away from the Toyota distributor if this is going to be a daily driver for your folks over there. Most of those modifications are done for ease of repair down the road and with the track record of coils in stock distributors and especially the replacement coils I would rather have the Toyota stuff. I am guessing from the plugs on the lights that this was converted to 12 volts also? Again, in the light of a daily driver, what are they going to do when it breaks down? From what I have seen it looks like the guys running the mutts over there full time are fairly well off and can afford to keep buying parts. Don't get me wrong, I am all for originality but I am also about practical when using it and depending on it for a livelihood.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

lpcoating
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by lpcoating » December 29th, 2016, 4:24 pm

I have to stop looking at that picture! I'm guessing they do not fill out accident reports. :roll:

Guy
M151 Body Panels - http://www.m151bodypanels.com/

'68 A1 - Under full resto