1967 m151a1 motor pool resto

A place to post pics and descriptions of ongoing restoration projects

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

CBrinker
Corporal
Corporal

1967 m151a1 motor pool resto

Unread post by CBrinker » January 2nd, 2019, 7:48 pm

I picked this a1 up about a week ago and have already been trying to work on it as much as I can. My plan is to do a motor pool restoration and I hope to have it done for the graves mountain trail ride over Labor Day. This will be the biggest m151 project I have taken on. Most of my previous ones have just been mechanical projects, but this one will require a lot of body work too. The only part that I need and haven’t been able to locate so far is an underbody repair kit, I found a few of the crossmembers but really need the whole kit, so if anyone knows where I might be able to find one please let me know. Right now I am just trying to get it running and driving decently, then when the weather warms back up I will pull it back apart and do the body work and paint. The old motor was stuck and so was the transmission. I pulled the head off the motor and it has bad rust on the head and down around the lifters, but the cylinder walls were ok and the transmission had water in it when I drained it and the gears ended up being badly rusted. I will probably try to salvage the old motor eventually, but today I pulled the old power pack out and dropped a good spare I had into it. Now for the pictures, sorry about the lighting, where I am working on it now there is no power so I just have the sunlight coming in through the door.

Some pictures before any work starts (it will probably be a while until it looks any different though)

Old coming out

New power pack on the left and old on the right

New going in

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: 1967 m151a1 motor pool resto

Unread post by Hambone » January 2nd, 2019, 11:41 pm

Nice project, complete underbody repair kits are getting scarce, I think Murray is sold out, might try Frontline, expect to pay $500+.

CBrinker
Corporal
Corporal

Re: 1967 m151a1 motor pool resto

Unread post by CBrinker » January 3rd, 2019, 8:33 am

Thanks, I thought they were getting scarce. I used to see a lot of them, but then it seems like they just disappeared. I will check with frontline when I get a chance