Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

rickatnyte
Private First Class
Private First Class

Newbie M151A1

Unread post by rickatnyte » December 5th, 2020, 6:13 pm

Greetings Ya'll,
Retired US Army.
Just acquired at an auction what the title says is an M151A1.
I have no idea if it runs and I'm a first timer that has NEVER attempted anything like this before.
I was told on a Facebook page that this is the place to go for anything M151 related.
So, I thank everyone in advance for your patience and understanding and I look forward to returning this 'Ol Gal back to her former glory.
Any and all help, tips or advice is welcome.
Rick Stanley
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rickf
General
General

Re: Newbie M151A1

Unread post by rickf » December 5th, 2020, 6:26 pm

Welcome to the forum. Looks like you have an interesting project there. I am guessing the rear shocks are missing or the wrong ones for the wheels to be cambered that far in. Once Ken sees this he will give you some insight on the year of the vehicle. The front fenders have been modified so I don't know if it had turn signals or not. Does it have a hole for a third tail light over top of the regular light on the right rear? If so it is an A1, If not then it is a straight 151 and a 63 or earlier.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Hambone » December 5th, 2020, 6:43 pm

Welcome to the site Rick, looks like you have some good bones to work with, I see you already have an A2 windshield, many panels are available now if you want to bring it back original. Either way it will be a fun project, a world of knowledge here, so ask all the questions, post more pics and we can tell you more about it. Hambone

rickatnyte
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by rickatnyte » December 5th, 2020, 6:49 pm

Hey Ya'll,
The fenders have about 1/4 of bondo on them so I really can't answer the turn signal question at this time.
I looked at the metal on the bottom side of the fender and other than a little surface rust, both sides look pretty decent.
I was told on Facebook about the A2 windshield. I will replace it to whatever belongs on it.
Every data plate has been removed. The number they are using for the title is posted in the picture.
The title say 1966 M151A1. I read somewhere that the 1966 models were made by Ford.
That is really all I know at this time.
I plan to make it run before I make it pretty... ha ha ha
I'll be leaning on you folks here and THANKS in advance...
Rick Stanley

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » December 5th, 2020, 7:13 pm

How is the underneath? These things had a major problem with rust and since they are a unibody they don't have a frame. Once the unibody rails rot out things start to fall apart. And that winch mount is another thing to watch, what it is mounted to is really only folded over pieces of sheet metal. Where are you located? A lot of times you can find somebody else in your area who can come and help you go over things.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

lpcoating
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by lpcoating » December 5th, 2020, 11:10 pm

Welcome to the site Rick. Let me know if you need any body panels.

Guy

Www.m151bodypanels.com
M151 Body Panels - http://www.m151bodypanels.com/

'68 A1 - Under full resto

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » December 6th, 2020, 12:18 am

Welcome aboard! Everything you need is HERE!

I would like to point out that the site makes the manuals for your truck available to you for free. See the top bar, below the header. Click on G838 Manuals. No need to buy expensive manuals.... unless you prefer the 3D, Mk1, Mod-0 style manuals, of course.

Share your experiences with us.
Share your pictures with us. Let's see what is under that hood!
Use the search box and a lot of information (based on real experiences) will be at your fingertips.
Ask us questions.
Ask for guidance.
...and have a thick skin because, well, sometimes we can be 'that way' about things.

Cheers,
TJ

D Pizzoferrato
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by D Pizzoferrato » December 6th, 2020, 8:50 am

Interesting. Titan looking front fenders. No grooves in the rear fender tops. Other body panels look kosher. What sorcery is this?
Visit our Website! www.odcloth.com for your Canvas needs

Visit our AM151A2 restoration page http://www.odcloth.com/mymutt/1979am151a2.html

Visit our PBR Restoration Site. http://www.pbr6927.com

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » December 6th, 2020, 11:09 am

Yeah, it kinda looks like one of the previous owners had some metal-working skills though I believe hanging a winch on the front bumper is a very bad idea unless there's a web of reenforcement under there we cannot see.

Perhaps our new member will grab some extra photos to share with us?

Cheers,
TJ

rickatnyte
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by rickatnyte » December 6th, 2020, 11:12 am

WOW!!!
Thanks Ya'll...
It appears that I found my "new" family... Thanks for letting me have a seat at the table.
I'm retired army, I live in north central Kansas and I'm looking forward to this adventure.
I'm not sure what sorcery is involved... ha ha ha
The front fenders have about 1/4 inch of bondo on them. I have no idea why. I'll be making sure that it comes off.
The metal underneath seems to be in good shape.
TJ, That's awesome. I had most of the manuals, but this site has ALL of them. Thank you for the tip.
I have a thick skin... I was in the army for 20+ years... I've been called an idiot by Privates and Generals but mostly by Majors... ha ha ha
I'll go ahead and admit right out of the gate that I'm an idiot and it's been a BUNCH of years since I last saw a 1/4 ton, so go ahead and have me go look for a box of grid squares or muffler bearings... ha ha ha
I'm about 10 days from getting it up on jackstands and getting a good look at what I'm dealing with.
My goal is to make it run before I make it pretty...
I really appreciate all of Ya'll...
Rick Stanley
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » December 6th, 2020, 11:25 am

PM sent to Rickatnyt.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » December 6th, 2020, 1:47 pm

That has quite an amalgamation of parts. Old air intake from a straight 151 a 60 amp alternator from a later A2. Looks like an A2 engine complete actually. The orang valve cover will definitely make it faster. The rust on the crank pulley tells me it has not run in a LONG time or it was run with only one belt. You will probably need to replace they pulley. First thing you need to do is pull the valve cover off and see what it looks like under there and if it is not all rusty then see if you can turn the engine over with a socket on the crank pulley.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Hambone » December 6th, 2020, 2:33 pm

As RickF said, pull the valve cover and drain the oil, that will tell you a lot, I would pull the plugs and drop about 2 tbs's of Marvel Mystery in each cylinder. Rotate the crank a few times, even if the engine is stuck, let it soak a while, you will need an extra deep spark plug socket to get the plugs out, you can pick one up at the hardware store if needed. Hambone

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » December 6th, 2020, 4:38 pm

All good advice above but I'd like to add 2 cents. Don't forget to follow the "Before You Ask" thread that is stuck to the top of the Technical section of the board here ...

https://g838.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2395

Manuals cover just about everything you can imagine. If you run into problems it more than likely has been covered by a post at one time or another and the search box will come in handy or ask away and 9 times out of 10 you'll have a detailed answer in less than 24 hours usually with pics.
1960 M151 Run #1
"There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove....." - K8icu
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » December 6th, 2020, 6:16 pm

Rick, have you any automotive experience? It would be nice to know ahead of time. We can talk anyone through most everything but it would help if we knew your general automotive skill level since we are still in the 'getting to know you' stage of things. We don't want to overload you with a lot of technobabble.

Several members have already given good advice for your opening efforts on that engine but sometimes we assume a lot. Take for example the business of pre-lubing those cylinders. Some folks might remove the plugs, put oil in and put the plugs back in and then try to turn her over. Someone with skills would know that's not exactly how it's done (have those plugs out before barring the engine over). Don't race to try to get things done. Having that oil sit in there for a day or two to do its work will be good for the old girl.

YES ABSOLUTELY is my response to the idea of checking fluids (and the condition of the spark plugs) to see what has been going on with this truck. These things will tell you a lot.

Chiefly, you'll be looking for why they stopped driving it. Could be one thing, could be a combination of things, could be nothing at all. My best suggestion is that you look things over and establish a baseline for the health of your vehicle. Don't overlook examining the inside of the distributor. Folks usually end up looking there last, after making everything else perfect and still not getting good results. It should be one of the things on your initial 'to-do' list.

Much of this vehicle may appear mysterious to you now but, I think if you look at this truck as being not much more than an old Ford farm tractor things will begin to click.

Parts. There's a big question for someone new to these vehicles. The -20P manual is your bible where part names and numbers are concerned. Learning how to use it will mean far greater ease in locating and obtaining parts. Why? Well, if you know the part number and/or the proper name for something it is far easier to communicate your needs to parts suppliers, other members or to search for that elusive part on places like eBay.

Thank you for being so prompt with pictures. it's entertaining for us and (even better) it makes it far easier for us to assist you.

Cheers,
TJ