My M 151 A1 Restoration Project

A place to post pics and descriptions of ongoing restoration projects

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

lpcoating
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

My M 151 A1 Restoration Project

Unread post by lpcoating » February 24th, 2013, 1:09 pm

In the early 90's I raced dirt track cars for several years and then turned to off-road motorcycle racing. Then I got married. I know, game over! Just kidding. By 2000, I got out of racing, had two kids and then started a powder coating business that I did on the side of a full time job. After about 8 years of powder coating / full time job I changed full time jobs and sold the powder coating business. That was 2008. Without the racing and side business I found myself getting bored with the normal routine of life. I always thought that it would be cool to restore an old Army jeep. I had a MIG and TIG welder (I started my working life as a welder) left over from the race car days and also had the garage with the required tools to do such a project. Back in March of 2012 I was at a gun show with a friend and on the way back we started talking about projects, etc. I told him about having a desire to get an old jeep and he told me about a guy that had 2 jeeps. He knew nothing about them but thought that they were in decent shape. The guy that had them was Taylor's Surplus located in Nichols, Ny. We called and the next week made a road trip up. At this point I knew nothing about surplus jeeps, de-milled, etc. When I saw the jeep (later to learn to term "x-cut") I was very shocked (and disappointed) by the condition. Far from the "decent shape" description from my friend. He too was shocked. Mr. Taylor thought that the jeep was a 1968. After getting a price of $500 I told him I needed to think about it. I was not concerned with being able to restore it but rather if I wanted that big of a project. I went home and got on the internet, no problem finding parts. The more I thought about it I became excited with the thought of bringing a piece of History back from near death. I also thought that for $500, if I lost interest I could part it out and get my money back. At least that's what I told my wife! As you will see from the following pictures I'm not looking to do a period correct restoration the exact way it was built. My thought was if I could get it close and look like a well thought out plan (not half-assed) I would be good with it. This is what I have so far: Image
Last edited by lpcoating on March 20th, 2013, 10:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
M151 Body Panels - http://www.m151bodypanels.com/

'68 A1 - Under full resto

lpcoating
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: My M 151 A1 Restoration Project

Unread post by lpcoating » February 24th, 2013, 1:27 pm

Floyd
Captain
Captain

Unread post by Floyd » February 24th, 2013, 2:05 pm

Guy: Good work, looks like you're on your way to a super resto. 8)

Floyd
1961 M151
1967 M416
1988 M35A2C
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member

fowlercal
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by fowlercal » February 24th, 2013, 2:35 pm

IP,

Are these the panels you fabricated yourself? They look good.

Mark
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Mark » February 24th, 2013, 4:43 pm

You guys amaze me how you all can do this body work restoration!!! I sure like to be able to do it,I'd have to go to school or something, but haven't the time nor the money
mark
mark

1968 m274A5
1960 m151
1981 m151A2
1964 m416
1971 m416

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » February 24th, 2013, 5:53 pm

That was an interesting demill. That was sort of a half X cut. An X cut was just that, four separate pieces. That appears to have not had the main rails cut. this was done a lot of the time with the full intention of welding it back together. A lot of work still but you have the main frame to keep things aligned. Very nice work. Your past is quite similar to mine, I also grew up racing bikes and cars plus V drive boats.
Real nice work.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

lpcoating
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by lpcoating » February 24th, 2013, 5:56 pm

I work for a large custom fab shop. I drew the parts up in AutoCad and then had our CNC dept. burn the parts out on a laser. Then form if necessary. When I made the dash we thought about making 5 extra and then see if we could sell them but at the time we were not sure if there would be any demand so I only made one.
fowlercal wrote:IP,

Are these the panels you fabricated yourself? They look good.

lpcoating
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by lpcoating » February 24th, 2013, 5:58 pm

The frame was also cut into. If you look close at the bottom view when it's on the rottisserie you can see the pieces that I made to re-enforce the rails - just in front of the spring pockets and behind the main cross member where the lower suspension mounts. The guy that I bought it from was old school and started to braze it back together.
rickf wrote:That was an interesting demill. That was sort of a half X cut. An X cut was just that, four separate pieces. That appears to have not had the main rails cut. this was done a lot of the time with the full intention of welding it back together. A lot of work still but you have the main frame to keep things aligned. Very nice work. Your past is quite similar to mine, I also grew up racing bikes and cars plus V drive boats.
Real nice work.

RCA827
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by RCA827 » February 24th, 2013, 6:29 pm

Nice work Ipc and thanks for the pics that was fast :D I have been stripping my a2 down for the past few days now almost time to remove motor and trans then the fun starts.
Last edited by RCA827 on March 20th, 2013, 11:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lpcoating
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by lpcoating » February 25th, 2013, 10:38 pm

I made the front fender with the weld seam at the bend. This will be TIG welded and then sanded with a DA. When done, the seam with not be visible. If you look close where the front of the fender meets the original sheet metal you will notice about an 1/8" gap. When I was fitting this it was perfect until I realized that I did not have the fender clamped properly in the back. Good thing for heat sinks and MIG wire.
I took the easy way out on the fender corner. I had it machined! The radius matches the curve and the sheet metal bend radius. I'll get some pictures when I tack it in. I also found a tool that we had at work that was real close to the sheet metal mount for the turn signals. The turn signal is ready to mount. No spot welded seam for rust in the future.
Front view of the dash. I had to cut the weld seam where the windshield mount goes as we had to "tweek" the bend so the dash would line up better. I'll re-weld at a future date.
Last edited by lpcoating on March 3rd, 2013, 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lpcoating
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by lpcoating » February 25th, 2013, 10:55 pm

This is out of order but here are some pictures of the rotisserie. I know this is way overkill but all of this material was left over from past projects.
This part is welded to an I beam that helps support to roof (two story garage). On the front of the jeep I welded the other pipe to the front bumper as it is bent up and will be replaced with a new (fabricated) bumper.
Rear mount is bolted to the hook mount. I have two 3/8" nuts welded on the rear stand and use bolts to pinch the inner pipe when I lock the rotisserie into position.

RCA827
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by RCA827 » February 25th, 2013, 11:11 pm

Some mighty fine work you are doing there and fast . I was only able to remove the rusted out rear panel today :oops: . Wish I had the equipment you have at your disposal :cry: .Nice work :)

RCA827
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by RCA827 » February 26th, 2013, 1:09 am

IP a question for you. What is the gauge of the metal you are using to build your panels and fenders with ?
Sam

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » February 26th, 2013, 9:22 am

I can tell you that the original body is 18 gauge. I can't speak for LPC on what he is using but it looks the same.

LPC, A couple of things to think about, with the quality of the work you are doing you might want to think about adding the extra metal in front of the cowl slope to make it look original, Same with the rear outside of the fenders. Where the turn signals go the spot welded piece was an added section to reinforce the fender for the turn signal. If you can make more panels there is a market for them, big time. Have you followed the new panels thread? I can tell you that the first guy to come out with quality panels at a reasonable cost will corner the market. The guy in Denmark has no real desire to sell over here and Fla. tactical stuff just plain does not fit. MD Juan may or may not start slowly but it could take a while but he does not know what panels and so on and on and on. I don't see anything happening from him anytime soon.

Rick

I just realized that the thread I asked if you followed is the very thread you first posted on.
I also noticed that a minute after I posted this that Rommel posted that he has "plans" for a floor panel. Well, You already have one made, along with a dash, fender and probably others. Like I said, first one to market with QUALITY and REASONABLY PRICED product will get the business.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

lpcoating
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by lpcoating » February 26th, 2013, 10:58 pm

So far I have used 16 ga sheet metal on the body parts. As Rick said, the original measures at 18 ga. I went with 16 ga because I wanted it to be a little heavier for the long haul. Also, it's easier to work with when welding (or so I think). Rick - I'm not sure what you are talking about as far as the metal in front of the cowl slope? Are you talking about how the side panel ties into the front fender? And also the side piece that ties into the dash? If so, I will be making them, just have not got that far.