'77 A2 - My first project

A place to post pics and descriptions of ongoing restoration projects

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Mr. Recovery
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: '77 A2 - My first project

Unread post by Mr. Recovery » March 19th, 2015, 11:37 am

Whiterabbit, sorry I missed you at the show, I was there on Sat; keep us posted on the Ga. show, perhaps I'll be able to make it up. :)

1960 M151 Run 1
1963 M151 Willys DoD 10-63 in Baltimore
1989 Alley Cat. "work in Progress"
NRA Life Member
American Legion Post 275 Fl
US Army 6 years 2nd Armored Cavalry Bindlach Germany
Colorado Army Nat. Guard 5 years
Md Air Guard 15 years active duty on C-130's

Vzike
Sergeant Major of the "G"

Unread post by Vzike » March 28th, 2015, 9:53 am

I was pretty unhappy with the transmission noises on this MUTT, so I was hoping to score one at the show. Mr Murray (TNJ Murray) had a good looking one he said was rebuilt, but missing a couple experior parking brake parts. We got that one for a great price.
Weds, I pulled the engine out, swapped out the tranny, any put it all back. Having a lift and a cherry picker made it easy. I was able to do it on my own in one day.
Took B1 out for a few shake down runs, and NO GRINDING!!!! It's a very tight transmission. I'm a happy camper! Here are a couple pics:

Vin Zike

whiterabbit
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Unread post by whiterabbit » March 28th, 2015, 10:12 am

I saw those trannys and was tempted to grab one but my trailer was full and my wallet was empty. :lol:
I need to see if he's going to come to the Georgia rally in Oct!
"It’s the unconquerable soul of man, not the nature of the weapon he uses, that insures victory." Gen. George Patton

1986-2014 Ordnance Corps RETIRED!
XVIII Airborne Corps Combat Affiliation
Go Ordnance!
1972 M151A2
1978 exMOD 109 Land Rover S3 (sold)
1942 WLA
M274 (sold) Big mistake. Sigh....

Vzike

Unread post by Vzike » March 28th, 2015, 11:18 am

When I opened the tranny top the large gear on the top towards the back (1st gear I think) looked perfect, until I rotated it. The bottom looked pretty chewed up on the back side (the side with the synchro tapers. I was worried about it, but all the synchros looked new and he said it had all new seals. I decided to put in a more expensive 85/140 gear oil, checked all the bolts (a couple were only finger tight) and replaced a couple broken lock washers. I swapped out the parking brake parts from the tranny I was taking out, and slammed it in.
When I took it out for a shake down, it shifted very thight, but absolutely no grinding. the mutt still howls, but I think that's the rear end. I have two extra differentials. I rebuilt one of the newer differential that will go on the rear, and I'm in the process of rebuilding one of the older (875###) ones to put on the front. Once those are on, I'm going tear down the ones that come out, and rebuild those. I'm also going to rebuild the tranny that I take out. I know that one had some synchro issues, and leaky seals. I'll fix all that and I'm confident it will be a great back up.
If someone at TNJ Murray is rebuilding these transmissions, they did a good job on this one!
Vin Zike

Vzike

Unread post by Vzike » March 28th, 2015, 11:20 am

Once I get my stencils on I'll take a final picture and close out this thread. In the mean time, anyone who wants to see the project slide show (50 pictures), go to this link:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... haring_eid
Vin Zike

SNOOPY
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by SNOOPY » March 29th, 2015, 7:28 am

Vzike wrote:As promised, more photos. Engine is running, but has a carb issue that needs to be resolved. Still has a few wiring issues, and I'll need to put 50 miles on it and change out the fluids, but this project is getting close. Almost ready to put on the road. We're close to getting it titled.

I plan to drive it up to the Mt Dora MVPA show in March. We may drive both this one and the Encore. Going out for a celebratory rum! Now I'm eyeballing an M37.
I just LOVE tan vehicles!
When you go to war, you go to war all the way. You don't go to war piecemeal.
You go, and you go to win.

(General H. Norman Schwarzkopf)

Vzike

Unread post by Vzike » March 29th, 2015, 10:34 am

The desert sand color is perfect for me here in South Florida. I served a lot of time training in hot climates, and I can tell you the Greens and cammos are dark and absorb a lot of heat. The desert sand is much cooler. Another advantage for me is that is shows issues and dirt more. This is important, since I live on an island and it really needs to have the salt mist/spray rinsed off weekly. Seeing a bit of dirt on it reminds me to wash it off.
Vin Zike

RCA827
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by RCA827 » April 25th, 2015, 3:32 pm

Nice A2 well done restoration love the tan paint :wink: , can I ask were you procured all your yellow bolts and hard wear for this project ?

Vzike

Unread post by Vzike » April 26th, 2015, 11:06 am

Thanks... I'm driving it and it is great.

All the yellow zinc fasteners were purchased at Florida Nut and Bolt, in Riviera Beach, FL. I purchased bulk, so if you send me a list of what you need, I'll make you a deal and ship them. Otherwise (and less the shipping, LOL), look up a nut and bolt company near you and visit. You can also look online at Grainger or McMaster Carr. Everything is available, American made, except some of the slotted machine screws. I found those online (do a google search under "Shop" for your item). They were imports.
Vin Zike

Fil Bonica
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Fil Bonica » April 26th, 2015, 11:54 am

Try Fastenal or Tractor Supply.

Fil Bomica
K1ABW

RCA827
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by RCA827 » April 26th, 2015, 6:11 pm

Thank you Vzike and Fil, I wish someone had a overall yellow zink nut, bolt and washer kit that would replace all the bolts needed, or even a cosmetic kit for a full resto on a M151 - M151a2 ,this would be a great help to people restoring the vehicales. Searching for the right hardware and all the work involved is a real PITA when your trying not to spend money on unwanted stuff .I did find a kit on Ebay item #160973317612.. GRADE 8 FINE THREAD BOLT NUT & WASHER ASSORTMENT KIT 490 Pieces for $ US 74.99 + shipping ,But agine the question is am I purchasing what I need ?? :(

Fil Bonica
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Fil Bonica » April 26th, 2015, 10:57 pm

Grade 8 fine thread might not be exactly what you want. Thrre are some fine thread needed but mostly specialty pieces like flange bolts and nuts for the suspension and other undercarriage assemblies :
If you have a buddy in ME ,NH or VT and there is a Tractor Supply nearby ask them tooad a box ofvgarious sizes and lengths of grade 8 coarse nus and bolts:
Its all priced by the pound and you can mix and match:
Have a four drawer cabinet just for hardware that came from there:
Saves a ton of time and money not going to the hardware store to pick up a few pieces a retail.

Hope tha this helps.

Fil Bonica
K1ABW

SNOOPY
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by SNOOPY » September 16th, 2015, 2:51 pm

Absolutely fabulous restoration!
When you go to war, you go to war all the way. You don't go to war piecemeal.
You go, and you go to win.

(General H. Norman Schwarzkopf)

elmer
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by elmer » November 26th, 2015, 6:05 am

Congratulations!!!
I have enjoyed a lot with your restauration.
I saw that you didn´t paint registration number on the hood and letters.
What stencils would you have choosen if you had painted?
elmer

Vzike

Unread post by Vzike » November 26th, 2015, 9:29 am

Elmer, this is a 1977 contract A2. During the 1970s, theArmy moved the registration numbers from the hood to the dashboard, reduced the size, and changed to all letters. The placement varies. I put mine under the hand grip. The registrations were unit specific.
Vin Zike