'77 A2 - My first project

A place to post pics and descriptions of ongoing restoration projects

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Jay Mallari
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Re: '77 A2 - My first project

Unread post by Jay Mallari » February 6th, 2015, 7:16 pm

You're welcome Vin. Pics of a heavy duty head courtesy of Fil Bonica.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » February 6th, 2015, 10:14 pm

I see you are right about the fording kit holes, I did not think they came out that far.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Vzike
Sergeant Major of the "G"

Unread post by Vzike » February 8th, 2015, 12:23 pm

Clearly, I have the old style head.

Vin Zike

Vzike

Unread post by Vzike » February 8th, 2015, 12:29 pm

I followed the same process in putting this engine together as I did when I reworked the head on my Encore. It has the new style head, so the exhaust gaskets were installed as per the manual. It works fine on the Encore, but the exhaust gaskets to the head space up the stainless tube and make for a poor fit and too large of a gape on for the intake manifold to the head. I plan to remove the exhaust manifold on this MUTT, and remount it using copper silicone (good for up to 700 degrees). Once that is done, I'll check the gap when I fit the replacement intake manifold, and gasket accordingly, possibly using two gaskets, if it is still gapped too much.
Vin Zike

Doug Black
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by Doug Black » February 9th, 2015, 1:14 pm

This has been a great thread! I have learned a lot from all the pictures you have posted and the input from everyone following it. Keep the photos coming!
1964 Kaiser M151
1966 Stevens M416
1967 Stevens M416

Vzike

Unread post by Vzike » February 9th, 2015, 1:35 pm

Doug, this is a great site. It has been a tremendous resource in knowledge alone, for this first MUTT project. There are some very smart folks on here, and they are all willing to share info. I'm nearly ready to start driving this truck, and will do a (less extensive) over hall of my Encore. I'll post pictures of the differences in those to a real MUTT.
Vin Zike

Vzike

Unread post by Vzike » February 11th, 2015, 8:09 am

Yesterday was a good day. Got the replacement manifold from Fil on Monday. Sandblasted it and painted it right away. Yesterday, I very carefully removed the exhaust manifold, and reseated it without the gaskets, only using the extreme high temperature Copper silicone gasket maker. Once complete, we started it up. After a little carb adjustment, and a small tweak of the timing, it is running perfectly.

Vin Zike

speyers
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by speyers » February 15th, 2015, 3:58 pm

csmith wrote:
Vzike wrote:The tires are Cooper Discovery A/T3. I put them on my Encore over a year ago, and they are great. We drove it from the West Palm Beach, Florida area to Key West over the Thanksgiving weekend. It was about 250 miles one way. The tires performed very nicely in the rain we got on the way down, and on the Interstate. We cruised at 55 or 60. I'm very happy with them. In Special Operations, we had the option to move away from standard military tires. These are similar to the ones we used. Wider, better tread, and more stable.

For the 77 MUTT, I'm using the same tires, but putting the white lettering on the inside. I plan to put a cover on the spare.
Thanks', what size did you use? Any rubbing issues?
So what size tires are these?

Vzike

Unread post by Vzike » February 15th, 2015, 7:56 pm

The Cooper tires are 245/75R16

On separate notes:
The light switch that came with the vehicle proved to be defective. Fortunately I had another I got NOS off the net for a good price.
The Flasher module also does not work. I'm looking for a NOS one.
The brake pedal would not return all the way, so the brake lights stayed on. I loosened the nut and bolt connecting the pedal to the master cylinder, and it worked fine.
I have all the parts to replace the parking brake, but it no longer seems to be dragging, so I'm leaving it alone.
The first bump I hit made me realize I needed new shocks. I picked up a set of fronts from Red River and installed them. Huge difference. The ones on the truck were frozen. DelawareLister says he has rear shocks. I'm going to try them. I also need them on my Encore.
The unusual front seat pads were from a HUMVEE, so I'm picking up a set of originals from a friend on here. Fronts will be canvas, back is new vinyl from Red River.
The rear end screams. Is anyone surprised?
After 2 miles, the new fuel pump fell apart and scored the cam. It's linear grooves, so I'm going to leave it and see how it does. I got a replacement within two hours from AutoZone. Under $18.00. Its for a 1963 Plymouth Valient. I've been running it in my Encore for over a year. You have to change up the plumbing a little. It's easy. No engine vent line, so that gets capped.
I replaces the batteries with Optima 51R. I fabricated tie downs that fit great. If anyone need them, talk to me. The batteries are far superior to the Exides or other lead acid batteries.
Got all the gages working except the temperature gage. The sender is new, and seems to be good. The four old and one new gage all seem defective. I need to find new ones. I can't do the swap in my Encore, since the gage there is not working either.
Bottom line is that I still think I can get it ready to drive up to the Mt. Dora, Florida show next month. We'll take both B1 and the Encore.
Vin Zike

Vzike

Unread post by Vzike » February 20th, 2015, 8:39 pm

I finally got the temperature gauge to work. On a whim, I reversed the wires to the gauge. The manual is incorrect. It shows circuit 27 to the outside and 33 to the inside. It's the opposite.

Got in a NOS wiper motor Tuesday, and installed it on Weds. it ran five cycles and blew up. Red River is sending a replacement.

Put ten more miles on it and everything is running much smoother. The engine is amazing. Rear end howls... Sounds like a mutt.

Got in a set of seat belts from Frontline and got them installed.

Next project is to align the front end. I need to do that for both this one and for my Encore.

We're still hoping to drive it and the encore to Mt Dora next month.
Vin Zike

whiterabbit
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Unread post by whiterabbit » February 24th, 2015, 7:37 pm

Sounds like you darn near got it licked!
I'll be running down to the rally in the A2. Almost 6hr road trip!
"It’s the unconquerable soul of man, not the nature of the weapon he uses, that insures victory." Gen. George Patton

1986-2014 Ordnance Corps RETIRED!
XVIII Airborne Corps Combat Affiliation
Go Ordnance!
1972 M151A2
1978 exMOD 109 Land Rover S3 (sold)
1942 WLA
M274 (sold) Big mistake. Sigh....

Vzike

Unread post by Vzike » March 16th, 2015, 9:53 am

MT Dora!

We left Singer Island (West Palm Beach area), FL Friday morning with B1 (my newly restored M151A2), and my red Encore, and drove the 200 miles up the Florida Turnpike, to Mt Dora for the Charles Craven Military Vehicle Rally and Swap Meet. Both MUTTs ran well with no problem. B1 had only 175 miles on the vehicle (including the engine overhaul) before we left. Everything ran well.

The meet was great. Met a number of g838 members, including Fil. The Show judges surprised me with a top ten plaque. The trip home on Sunday was uneventful. Both Mutts are back on the island.

Thank you everyone who helped me with this project. This site was absolutely the reason I was successful in completing it in less than a year. Now to find something else to keep me busy!!! lol

Vin Zike

Mr. Recovery
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Mr. Recovery » March 16th, 2015, 10:08 am

Vin, it was great to meet up with you and Fil, you did a great job on you A-2 and the top ten plaque was well deserved! :mrgreen:

1960 M151 Run 1
1963 M151 Willys DoD 10-63 in Baltimore
1989 Alley Cat. "work in Progress"
NRA Life Member
American Legion Post 275 Fl
US Army 6 years 2nd Armored Cavalry Bindlach Germany
Colorado Army Nat. Guard 5 years
Md Air Guard 15 years active duty on C-130's

Vzike

Unread post by Vzike » March 19th, 2015, 10:05 am

Thank you, Dan. I had a great time and got a ton of great information (not to mention some parts I needed). It was great to meet Fil after dozens of phone calls with him. Lindsey Orr and his team did a great job on the event. I understand they will pull out all stops to make is a much larger event next year.

Anyone who wants to see a Google Drive slide show of the renovation is welcome to follow this link. I put 50 on the Drive of the hundreds I took. I'm going to take some close up detail pictures and post them as soon as I get the markings on.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... haring_eid

To finish this, I'm going to pull and replace the transmission (and rebuild the one I'm taking out), and I'm in the process of rebuilding two differentials. Hopefully (I'm not overly optimistic), that will cut back on some of the howling out of the aft end of the MUTT. I also have lots of grommets and clips to put in, and plan to work the fuel and vent lines a little more.

Now to start looking for another project!!! I love retirement!
Vin Zike

whiterabbit
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Unread post by whiterabbit » March 19th, 2015, 10:52 am

Loved your tan A2 and all your hard work paid off! It's a well deserved top 10 for all the effort that was obviously put into it! :D Good meeting you at the show too!
Now you have to make a longer drive up to the big rally in Ga. this Oct!! :lol:
"It’s the unconquerable soul of man, not the nature of the weapon he uses, that insures victory." Gen. George Patton

1986-2014 Ordnance Corps RETIRED!
XVIII Airborne Corps Combat Affiliation
Go Ordnance!
1972 M151A2
1978 exMOD 109 Land Rover S3 (sold)
1942 WLA
M274 (sold) Big mistake. Sigh....