Alley Cat 151

A place to post pics and descriptions of ongoing restoration projects

Moderators: rickf, Mr. Recovery, raymond, moose53

Re: Alley Cat 151

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby m3a1 » June 15th, 2017, 8:16 pm

Today I took the rear differential out of the Alley Cat. There was clear evidence that it had been leaking but I had an idea that it might be in much better internal condition than the differential in my A2 which continues to make some rather discouraging noises. So I got up under there and, after removing the left axle, gave her guts a spin and it felt like it was running much tighter than my A2's differential. So I plucked it out and got it up where I could play with it a bit.

I scraped it down with that dull knife I keep in the toolbox and followed up with a wire brush, then some PB Blaster and a tooth brush and a bit more scraping here and there. Wiped it all down and power-washed it, keeping the focal point of the spray nozzle well clear of the seals. Hit it with some degreaser, scrubbed it and power-washed it all over again. After some primer and paint, this is what she looks like! Sexy, eh?

Once the paint cures I'll be going in and renewing the seals. I cannot seem to get the drain plug to come loose. Its stubborn-ness is being compounded by the fact that the differential isn't mounted in the truck so I can't get much leverage on it. I'll try it again when I get it back in the truck.

Author's Note: After putting this in the A2, I still couldn't get that plug loose! As a result, I wasn't able to see what the lube looked like inside this contraption so, I will share with you and couple of thoughts. I should have flipped it over and drained it through the fill-plug. I got distracted by some other things going on around here and wasn't thinking about what I was doing. As a result, I forged ahead with my original plan to remove the plug once it was back in the truck which is not a wholly unreasonable plan, right? Well, guess what. WRONG! I put the rear end in and I couldn't get the drain plug out...and I wanted to drive my truck. I really wanted to drive my truck! I have been limping along with a horrible rear differential ever since I got the A2. So basically, I threw caution and good sense right out the window. I put this component into service without really knowing what I had in there for lube. It felt good and smooth while turning it by hand but the bottom of that differential could have been filled with peanut butter, for all I knew. Things worked out OK but it was actually a roll of the dice and I really don't enjoy operating like that. So, here I am, two days later and the plug is still grimly hanging in there. I have scraped away the paint around it and am dosing it daily with PB Blaster and running the truck but only barely. All that lube and all those micro vibrations should help it come loose. I think being patient with it is really going to be what is needed to get it loose and I won't have to tear up the plug by forcing it.
Last edited by m3a1 on August 31st, 2017, 6:39 am, edited 6 times in total.
m3a1
Captain
Captain

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership

Postby m3a1 » June 16th, 2017, 1:46 pm

i got into the seals on the output shafts as they appeared to be the primary sources for the leaks which were enormous. I once posted that you should never, ever assume that the guy who had been in there before you was an Ace Mechanic. And here we have something to back that statement up.

The output shafts leaked like sieves because no one installed the seal sleeves on the flanges! In short, the seals were larger than the neck of the flange. Oh, they touched...but only just a little bit as we can see from the highly polished wear marks. If you are new to this, the nicely machined surfaces on the flanges are not the surface that mates with the seal.

In this picture we see the undressed flange, with a new seal sleeve as yet uninstalled. The seal sleeve is going to be pressed over the neck of the flange. It is a very precise fit. The chamfered (or tapered) edge is the leading edge of the seal sleeve; the part that would come into contact with the new seal first when you reinstall the flange. It serves to ease the seal sleeve into the seal without damaging it. You may have noticed that the neck of the flange also has a chamfered edge.

Here's the old seal, still in place. Poor thing. It never really had a chance to do it's duty. :cry:

And here's a Public Service Announcement for the last guy who worked on this!

New seals and sleeves installed and, with that done, the whole thing got a repaint.

I can't wait to get this into my A2!! :D :D :D Maybe I should have gone ahead and replaced the input and tail shaft seals as well but evidence suggests they were still good. If they fail, my penance will be to replace them with the differential still in the truck.
Last edited by m3a1 on August 31st, 2017, 6:43 am, edited 8 times in total.
m3a1
Captain
Captain

Postby rickf » June 16th, 2017, 3:45 pm

You should take that vent out and clean it out real good while it right there in front of you.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone
rickf
General
General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Postby m3a1 » June 16th, 2017, 3:53 pm

Excellent idea! The cap is kind of banged up but it still moves and it is springy. Or, I may just swap it out for a brand new one.
m3a1
Captain
Captain

Previous

Return to Restoration Projects