1966 USMC M151A1 restoration finishing up

A place to post pics and descriptions of ongoing restoration projects

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Austringer
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

1966 USMC M151A1 restoration finishing up

Unread post by Austringer » August 14th, 2014, 1:18 pm

The engine that originally came with this M151A1 was pretty much shot as it had a serious exhaust leak at #2 and #3 cylinders, bad head gasket, rear main seal was bad and the previous owner timed the engine at over 30 btdc and that was the only way it ran, moved to proper location, would not run. Plus the valves were completely out of spec and I think one might have had a cracked valve stem guide. Let's not forget the valve cover stud was bent about 10% to one side. 3 exhaust manifold bolts broke off (lucky they were on the bottom so a lot easier to remove). Needless to say, this engine is not going back in this Mutt. I had a spare crate engine sitting in the back of my shop so decided to pull it out and drop it in and decided to go ahead and use the NOS transmission I've had sitting in my shop for years too. The rest of the jeep has had everything replaced with NOS parts and the body is perfect, best one I've ever had and, not a bit of rust on it. Opened up the engine crate and to my horror, the engine was completely covered with CARC... so now I'm going to have to needle gun the crap off the engine.. Not looking forward to that. The engine does have electronic ignition which is nice. Going to take some time to remove the Carc and convert to A1 specs with the help of some NOS parts I have (vacuum pump, oil pressure safety switch etc and some parts off the original engine). Will post more pictures as I finish this Mutt.

Atlanta, GA

1969 M706
1969 M106A2

rickf
General
General

Re: 1966 USMC M151A1 restoration finishing up

Unread post by rickf » August 14th, 2014, 7:44 pm

Damn! That thing is clean!!! Alright you guys, I talked him out of E-baying this thing so all you guys that are always complaining that there are never any good 151's for sale had better step forward.

Jason, It is amazing all of the configurations that they have used to package new engines. I have one that was in a foam block, I have seen three or four different types of crates and this is a first for this crate. I know CARC is chemical resistant but it is not chemical proof and I don't think they designed it to be effective against all chemicals. You ought to try a spot with self etching primer and see if that sticks. A lot easier than needling the whole engine and I don't even know how you would get some areas. I have heard people say that some removers will remove CARC if you compromise the surface so it can get under it. Needle it a little and try that also.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

HILLBILLY-06
Sergeant Major of the "G"
Sergeant Major of the "G"

Re: 1966 USMC M151A1 restoration finishing up

Unread post by HILLBILLY-06 » August 14th, 2014, 9:29 pm

WOW, was that M151A1 procured from a Museum? it is very good looking and the cleanest I ever saw posted yet. I don't even see dirt in the places that you see dirt just from sitting outside.... "just amazing that one is"
OR.... Your a heck of a detail-er... LOL
"FAMOUS LAST WORDS".... "HEY YA'LL, WATCH THIS"