Swamp Buggy

A place to post pics and descriptions of ongoing restoration projects

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Surveyor
Terminal

Swamp Buggy

Unread post by Surveyor » December 30th, 2015, 7:08 pm

Just got it home early this morning. Purchased it from Kerogane on the 503. Thanks if you are reading this. Sorry, but I don't think you will make wife's Christmas card list next year. :-) This will be my first attempt at a restoration. Just looking to make an occasional driver to be used in small town only. New location - South Louisiana. What I know -

Screwed in Data plate states -
Ford
DA-20-018-ORD-23240
Delivery: 4-62
2D1630

Front bumper appears to have had 2Δ 4 CAV under a couple layers of paint.

Edit - Alum tag info
Serial# 514
Assembly 8754459

Last reg. tag on license plate is 2002 and I'm guessing it's been sitting since then. Configuration of signal lights look A1 (but in 62?). Army front bumper, no fording valve, no rear corner lifting brackets, no #plate centered under windshield under the hood. Markings on the hood are in yellow - USMC only. Remains of 2D1630 in yellow on left front bumper. Steel rims with peeling paint showing neon orange. Hitch also shows same orange underneath. Solid OD green for the most part but underside appears black. "Safety chains" welded to rear axles.

Good - Appears uncut and with title. Body appears in decent shape considering but some paneling will need to be replaced. Side panels, battery compartment bottom, and at least the driver side floor. Luckily the bed appears solid. Someone used wood strips to strengthen the side panels in the inside bottom channels. Thinking of adding square tubing to strengthen replacement patches. I also see a 60 amp belt configuration.

Bad - Not currently running. Fuel tank has been cleaned and carb rebuilt but not connected. Vent tube? is broken about 6 inches back from tank. Line appears clogged with rust. Electric fuel pump is now located in engine bay. ???? Not normal from what I have read prior in manuals/here. Clutch frees up wheels/rolls freely and shift appears to be in neutral and rocks left to right but will not go into any gear. Releasing clutch locks up the wheels. Have yet to try turning engine. And probably won't till I check out a few more things and replace fluids. Still have side curtains but top was so dried up and cracking it went into the trash. Barely brushed up against the rear view mirror and it broke off. The plastic arm was brittle from age. 3 tires show little to no wear. Driver side rear is well used. Spare is no good at all.

Advice always appreciated. Any guru's in my area?

Last edited by Surveyor on January 9th, 2016, 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1960 M151 Run #1
"There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove....." - K8icu
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin

rickf
General
General

Re: Swamp Buggy

Unread post by rickf » December 30th, 2015, 8:06 pm

Well, looks like the body side behind the wheel has been cut away but other than that it does not look too bad. Get us some more pictures and we can give you a better idea of age. Check the frame rails under the grill for a body tag. If it has a third brake light over top of the tail light on the right side then it is an A1. Oval floor drains will usually mean a straight 151 along with the ratchet E-brake and screw adjust seats.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Fil Bonica
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Fil Bonica » December 30th, 2015, 11:09 pm

If you need a battery box floor let me know.
Have them available for immediate shipment

Fil Bonica
K1ABW

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » December 31st, 2015, 7:12 pm

Thanks Rick. More pics as requested. Apologies on quality of camera/phone. I think you are correct. Wished I had researched it more before I got it. Was told it was an A1 and had a A1 in the license plate as you can see in pic. Don't see a body tag but I just might not be looking in the right area. On a positive note I more than likely would have thrown my money over anyway.

Thanks Fil. Will definitely get a floor in the near future.

Looking closer - weird paint combinations on it. I see a dark od which looks to be the original paint in the hard to reach areas. Then it looks like it had combinations of neon orange and black painted on it at some point and finally the last coat of faded od green that appears to have been brushed on. The top and side curtain windows were weird too. A thick solid black plastic. Not painted either. Thought it just turned with age??? You can see some pieces of them on the passenger floor. Short chain mounted between seats???
Last edited by Surveyor on November 3rd, 2017, 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1960 M151 Run #1
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » December 31st, 2015, 9:21 pm

You have an early straight 151 there my friend. And it even still has the original data plate! THAT is rare!!! Seems to be in pretty good shape too. Has the early two cowl vents, also a fairly rare piece. Does it have the Holley carb still? It would have come with one. It would also have had semi-closed front steering knuckles. The body tag will be hidden under the edge of the grill probably on the drivers side. They ahve shown up on the other side though. It is only a foil tag so look carefully. You may want to think twice about making this rare find a woods beater. :(
Oh, Don't worry about the mirror, it is not the right one.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

elsasser7122
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by elsasser7122 » January 1st, 2016, 9:11 am

Hello and welcome; I finished my M151 restoration last spring, took it to the MVPA convention in Topeka, Kansas and scored a 99.182% correct. I restored mine, as to the unit markings as to what I drove in Germany. You can find mine in the "restoration projects" under "My M151 restoration" with lots of pictures as it progressed. I have a lot more pictures other then what is posted here. Look on the left hand rail under the front grill and radiator and see if you can find the aluminum tag, it will have the body number stamped on it, then Ken from England will I am sure chime in with tons of info. Got any questions or anything I can help with, feel free to contact me, will be glad to help. Mine is 2D1487 It is your vehicle and can fix it as you please, but you do have an early M151 fairly complete that would restore to it's original glory. One more note on the frame tag, the left hand tag will be aluminum and pop riveted on, and it means ford built body, on right hand rail, it will be aluminum foil and those was glued on and very easy to have disappeared, and those would be Fruehauf built body's. The tags on the cowls are budd tags and for later years. Things that I noted that are correct for very early M151
Hole in rear panel for the gas can strap to pass thru............later M151 had a footman loop
no third hole in rear panel for blackout stop light. Your right hand rear light should be the blackout marker and stop light.
correct oval floor drains.............the covers are available
correct 2 louver windshield, later they where 4
ears on right hand side for shovel handle head to lay in
screw adjust seats
2 cowl vents, later ones only had the r/h side one
correct dash data plate with the stylized ford script, very, very, very rare, I had to have mine reproduced and very, very, very expensive.

some of the things I see that are not correct for early M151
wrong gas cap
early M151's had no turn signals (probably added later maybe even by military)
Hood latch should be the single horn type
wheels should be the magnesium ones with the oblong holes
motor data tag does not fit in with the dash data plate time frame.
Early M151 had the 25 amp generator with the bread box type voltage regulator
active duty 63-66
Sgt A Co. 385th M.P. Bn.
62 M151
64 M274A1
62 Chevy
31 Chevy
MVPA Member
VFW
America Legion

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » January 1st, 2016, 10:21 am

The one thing I do notice is the Ford data plate and no Budd tag. Can you get a good picture of the cowl above the valve cover to see if maybe the tag was removed? I am hoping that someone did not add the Ford data plate to an early Fruehauf or Kaiser built body. It does have the flat brackets like the Kaiser for the shovel handle. I don't remember if the Ford used them.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

elsasser7122
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by elsasser7122 » January 1st, 2016, 12:04 pm

rickf wrote:The one thing I do notice is the Ford data plate and no Budd tag. Can you get a good picture of the cowl above the valve cover to see if maybe the tag was removed? I am hoping that someone did not add the Ford data plate to an early Fruehauf or Kaiser built body. It does have the flat brackets like the Kaiser for the shovel handle. I don't remember if the Ford used them.
Rick; I can verify that a Ford built body has the flat plates for the shovel handle head. I had the aluminum body tag on mine and it was verified by "Ken" as a Ford built body. You can see a picture of my tag under "my M151 restoration" . I am very curious to see if the tag shows up on this one or not, would sure like to see that it does. With my body tag "Ken" thought my delivery date and hood number would have been earlier, but still was possible. I kept it that way as that is what all my information had. I seen a 61 2C hood number vehicle in Topeka, Ks MVPA convention that had the 2 cowl vents. The mystery continues. Hope the aluminum tag on the L/H front rail is discovered. There are other areas to look but didn't notice them on the previous photos. Larry
active duty 63-66
Sgt A Co. 385th M.P. Bn.
62 M151
64 M274A1
62 Chevy
31 Chevy
MVPA Member
VFW
America Legion

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » January 1st, 2016, 1:39 pm

I think the placement of the turn signal controller says a lot about that fact that they were added later. That is a bad spot for big boots to snag wires. He still has the 25 amp generator, just the later regulator. The body seems to be amazingly straight too. Surveyer, Before you cut into this thing you might want to contact a few of us here and see if we would want to trade what we have to save that piece. I would much rather see a beater get set up for woods running than one like this.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » January 1st, 2016, 2:07 pm

Thanks for all the input. Finally found the tag. I was looking at the bottom of the rails and not the top. It's located on the drivers side and I think that's a rivet in the bottom corner covered by layers of paint. Sorry Rick, I do not see anything on the cowl. My intention on purchasing it was for a fun project/challenge and have had the intention of just fixing up running, change out some of the body panels and put a nice paint job on it for occasionally use in town, never off-roading. I think the Swamp Buggy title may have lead you to believe that way. I just was giving it a nickname because of my location. I wasn't looking to spend the kind of money to make this a museum piece to just sit. So far I'm in the hole $3000 plus travel expenses. Good/bad? I thought it was a fair price. That being said, you may be right. I might not be the correct choice for a first time restore project if this could be turned into something "more." I'd have to think on it but that would be dependent on if someone thought I made a good deal in the first place.

Would like to add that I don't want to share all of Kerogane's business but he has quite a collection of M151's and couple are for sale. One appeared a little rougher shape to me. I think he was asking $2500 and a Willy's that he said the body was just about gone. I think it was $1000 for it. Check the 503 site. I think he may be a member here as well. Edit... Forgot to add that Kerogane gave me a rebuilt carb to go with it. A Zenith from 73.

Serial# 514
Assembly 8754459
Last edited by Surveyor on November 3rd, 2017, 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1960 M151 Run #1

elsasser7122
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by elsasser7122 » January 1st, 2016, 3:22 pm

Surveyor; That body tag is what I was hoping you would find. Tells me it is a very early M151 Ford built body, Mine has that tag and it is 13910. That early number and your L/H cowl vent goes hand in hand with each other. You have the correct dash data plate with the Ford Motor Company in the stylized script, but it is strange that the mfg # space appears to be blank, unless I can't see it. The 2D number you seen on the bumper is what would be on the hood and also on the dash data plate. Bumpers where for unit markings. You also have the correct windshield bumpers on your windshield frame right above the glass on the front. I restored mine as a museum piece, but do drive it around town and in many parades and go to car shows with it, it is always the hit of the parades and the shows. I would say as it sits there now your investment is not out of line. I will let you guess what I got in mine from start to finish, but you can have a very nice running and looking vehicle for probably half of what I invested. When you sand blast some of the body stay on the look out for some info. Some of my panels had RUN #7 or RUN#6 on them, yours would be an earlier run. Hope "Ken" of Muttguru sees this and will respond with more info as to dates with that new tag info. You can also get a lot of the body panels from Guy, much easier to do that way. If I can be of help let me know Larry
active duty 63-66
Sgt A Co. 385th M.P. Bn.
62 M151
64 M274A1
62 Chevy
31 Chevy
MVPA Member
VFW
America Legion

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by muttguru » January 2nd, 2016, 12:24 pm

Hiya Surveyor (and Larry). Thanks for posting the pictures. What you have is a very early M151 (not A1). The body-tag indicates that this would have been delivered in or around December 1960 and would have been delivered under Ford's first production contract, 21125.
If you look at the dash dataplate that you have, it shows Ford's later contract (23240) and a later delivery date of 04-62. The reasons for the discrepancy could be several, but I'd narrow it down to two:-
1. The vehicle was delivered in dec 1960 but was kept as a test-purpose or evaluation vehicle by the Mil and eventually reallocated to a using unit in 1962 (this is unlikely but possible) or
2. The dash dataplate is from a later vehicle, tacked onto your Dec 1960 M151 (highly likely).

Whatever, you have a very early straight M151, the 514th vehicle to be built. It would have had a hood number in the "2B-" series. It may be worth doing a VERY CAREFUL stripdown of the hood paint to see if the original hood numbers can be ressurected, presuming of course that the hood is original to this vehicle. If you want to go this route, let me know and I'll advise on how to strip off the paint successfully.

Depending on what you plan to spend on it, it would make a very nice restoration with the added bonus of its very early status.

Ken
Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » January 2nd, 2016, 2:09 pm

Thanks Guru. I would be interested in your hood strip down technique. I am curious as well.
1960 M151 Run #1

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by muttguru » January 2nd, 2016, 4:10 pm

Surveyor,

Here's some information on how to uncover the hood numbers.
Ken

have a look here............
http://www.1943mb.com/c-99-G503_WWII_Mi ... mbers.aspx

You can also look at this excellent advice that appeared on the M38 notice board a while back from Rich Saylor. It should be just as valid for your mutt:-

Re the hood numbers, use 400 or finer "wet-or-dry" sandpaper (dark gray/black) with some liquid dish soap in water in a bowl, and start in very gently. Keep the sandpaper wet. You will be able to sand down to the numbers, enough to be able to see them, unless they were sanded off for repaint of course. When you have enough to clearly make out the numbers, etc. I suggest you take photos, and using thin tracing paper or clear plastic, make a tracing of the numbers, letters, etc. including their position on the hood, bumpers, bodywork, and so forth.

Also take good digital images for good measure. The original M38 hood numbers should be "USA" over the hood number; both the USA and the hood number are (or should be) 2" high. Later repaints switched from the original "USA" to "U.S.ARMY", so if the latter is what you see, it probably isn't the actual one applied when new, but a later one after repaint. If you keep sanding to find earlier numbers, that's why a tracing & photos are important...once gone, never to return.
Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » January 2nd, 2016, 5:34 pm

I will add something here as being a bodyman helps here. Get one of those huge oversize sponges and soak it full of water and just hold it against the hood above where you are sanding and keep squeezing lightly to keep a steady very light flow of soapy water going. This keeps the area absolutely clean so you can see anything as soon as it shows and also keeps the sandpaper lubed and clean.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed