1964 M151 Kaiser

A place to post pics and descriptions of ongoing restoration projects

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Vzike
Sergeant Major of the "G"

Re: 1964 M151 another addition to the Motor Pool

Unread post by Vzike » July 13th, 2016, 5:41 pm

Brake lines are done. One of the metal ones was badly rusted, so I replaced it. The rubber lines were hard and showing a lot of age, so they were also replaced.

I reassembled the brakes, using the cleaned up parts I took out, replacing broken and stretched springs.

Took a few minutes and straightened the bent up and rusted back so the lights were aiming back, instead of at a 45 degree angle sort of to the sides and down. Also used the portapower to bend out the bumperettes... it worked great.

I'll put tires on it and start screwing around with the engine tomorrow. I have a Brooks rebuilt carb to get it going with...... Hopefully I'll have less problems with that that then the last two I got.

Here are pics of the the brake lines and the replacement grill I found in my "stuff".....

Vin Zike

Vzike

Re: 1964 M151 another addition to the Motor Pool

Unread post by Vzike » August 13th, 2016, 10:55 am

Getting closer to running this one. Got the brakes finished and working well. Pedals are in and all seems to work.

I have a late emissions fuel tank in it, so I'm putting a mechanical fuel pump on it. I made up the fuel and return lines.

I also got a battery floor from Fil Bonica, and fit it in. I had to remove and replace the front battery box bulkhead with one I removed from another vehicle. I'll get a new one from Guy Loomis, when I do the KSA A2.

I put four good tires on it, sorted out the steering, replaced the front and rear transmission seals and the front seal to the forward differential, and greased it up. I put on new drive shaft U-Joints on both drive shafts.

I also put on a Brooks rebuilt carb and test ran the engine. Runs great.

Next I have to sort out the rebuilt wiring harness I made up and get it connected into all the systems.

I have a clean title on it and I'm listing it for sale.

If it doesn't sell as is, I'll take some time and do some of the body work. It needs a bunch on the passenger side, and the back panel needs to be replaced.
Vin Zike

Vzike

Re: 1964 M151 Kaiser

Unread post by Vzike » August 21st, 2016, 10:22 am

After a little more thought, I've decided to do the body work, rather than just try to sell this as is.

The front fenders are bad. I have replacements from a front clip I got with a different purchase of vehicles.]

both sides are bad. The passenger side needs to be fully replaced. I have two side panels from
Guy Loomis for those.

Whoever had this cut the front of the rear wheel wells out for clearance for oversize snow tires. I have replacement parts From Guy Loomis for both sides.

The rear panel is toast. I cut it off this week (pics to come) and will get in a new back from Guy next week.

Here we go again!!!

Last edited by Vzike on August 22nd, 2016, 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vin Zike

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » August 21st, 2016, 6:10 pm

Sure will be nice when Guy comes out with FULL SIDE PANELS. No innuendo there Guy. :twisted:
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Vzike

Unread post by Vzike » August 22nd, 2016, 6:03 pm

This first picture is the rear after removing the rusty remains of the rear panel.

Lots of spot welds to remove. I drilled out most, but a good air hammer and a sharp chisel blade is invaluable in removing the ones where you miss or the weld is a bit off center from where you drilled.

The dashboard in this mutt had been modified by Bubba to accommodate speakers, a radio, ciggy butt lighter, and a half dozen 12 VDC switches. I could not figure a way to repair it, so I cut the dash off a 151 I had in back, and that is going on. The first pic is the original, then removed, then the new one just dropped in place. After I get the whole tub sandblasted, I'll fit it up and weld it in place.... along with the rear panel, both sides, the drivers floor, and the battery tray (last pic, fitted in place.

Tomorrow I'm pulling the engine (the clutch has to be replaced), and removing the front fenders. I'll then bring it over to the sandblaster. More exciting pictures to come!!!!!

Vin Zike

Vzike

Unread post by Vzike » August 22nd, 2016, 6:11 pm

Sure will be nice when Guy comes out with FULL SIDE PANELS. No innuendo there Guy. :twisted:
Actually, Rick, I think the partial panels are very useful. A full side panel would be a bear to make, without very heavy stamping equipment. It would be a very complicated part (read as expensive), and in most cases, probably not something I would use. I have one set of the older versions, and a second set of the "universal" ones. both are great. I should get the rear panel this week. That should be an interesting fit up!!!

Where do you think I should put the weld seem at the top of the dash panel? just at after the curve at the top, or in front of where the gasket bead is?
Vin Zike

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » August 22nd, 2016, 8:10 pm

Well, If your weld seam is going to be a nice fairly flush seam I would put it just past the curve since that will put it in between the two main contact areas of the gasket. That way nobody sees it from outside. What we really need is someone to duplicate the windshield gaskets! Nice soft pliable ones!!!
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Vzike

Unread post by Vzike » August 27th, 2016, 10:27 am

Passenger side is now cut out, as is the drivers side, rear panel, dash board, left front fender, and the front part of the passenger side fender.

Thursday I towed it over to the sandblaster and put it on the rotisserie there. I also dropped of a number of other parts that I'll need done to have it ready for reassembly.

This coming week I'll be welding in new metal. By the following week I hope to be doing the finishing touches and start the paint process.

Vin Zike

Vzike

Unread post by Vzike » August 31st, 2016, 8:17 am

After sandblasting, I'm fitting up the replacement panels.

Vin Zike

SturmTyger380
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by SturmTyger380 » August 31st, 2016, 12:12 pm

Get that thing primed as soon as possible!! :shock:
45' MB, ??' MBT, 47' CJ2A, 48' CJ2A,
51' M38 #1, 51' M38 #2, 51' M100,
52' M37, ??' M101A1 (1st Gulf War Vet),
53' M38A1, 53' M211, 65' M151A1, 67' M416,
MVPA #31724

Vzike

Unread post by Vzike » August 31st, 2016, 8:23 pm

Yeah, I hear you on the primer. My painter backed out. Do you think being 200 yards from the ocean is an issue???? LOL I'm working on it!!!!

Today I worked on the rear end. This was a serious project, but I got a lot done.

I think the tolerances for these machines were fairly loose, so expecting an exact fit up would be a stretch.

The rear of my 64 Kaiser was pretty beat up, and repaired with braising. Rust was bad, and it had bolted on supports and a lot of stress fractures in the sheet metal. Once that was all ground off and cleaned up, I straightened as much of the fender metal as possible.

First off, it appears that the back (from Guy Loomis) was too wide, and not high enough. That turned out to be not exactly correct.

To fit it, I had to bend the bottom to open it up some. I started attaching at the drivers side and worked my way across to the passenger side. Everything line up really nicely. The spare tire mount was tricky, but it ended up going on tightly.

I attached using self drilling/tapping screws.

Once I got over to the passenger side fender, it looked like I had a quarter inch gap. The port-a-power pushed the fender open to where it belonged, and the fit ended up very tight.

My spot welded came in handy. The self tapping screws pulled the metal tight and allowed me to button weld it all up. I would pull out every other screw and weld the hole with the mig….. worked like a spot weld. Occasionally, would get a little impatient and blow a hole through the sheets, and had to slow down to fix them.

The curved parts were a challenge. I cut two from the toasted rear, and ended up fabricated the third on. I still have to make up something for the spare tire inside curve.

I still have to clean up the welds and will catch the bottom welds tomorrow after I get it back on the rotisserie.

On a scale of 1-10, the panel gets and 11 from me. Nice job, Guy.

Here are the pictures, starting with the salvaged light mounts that were a mess and all out of shape. By the way, the back panel does not have the curved parts (4 places). You will need to salvage those from your old panel and weld them in.

Vin Zike

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » August 31st, 2016, 8:31 pm

Wow, that looks terrific....kind of like you've been down this road before?

Vzike

Unread post by Vzike » August 31st, 2016, 8:33 pm

I did floors before and some patching, but tackling a back panel was totally new territory.

Tomorrow I'll do the floors.
Vin Zike

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » August 31st, 2016, 8:49 pm

My truck has that usual rust spot in the back as well. I was watching some of you heavy hitters and thinking about dealing with that in much the same way you are. Then I sat down and drank beer until that feeling passed :lol: :lol: :lol: because it actually adds to the je ne sais quoi of the truck, don't ya think?

All joking aside, you're making terrific progress. If you can do all that....surely you can do the paint, don't you think?

Cheers,
TJ

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » August 31st, 2016, 8:51 pm

Don't want to hijack your thread but, did your rust look anything like this?