Gamma Goat

Military vehicles other than M-151s that might be of interest to our members

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Mark
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Gamma Goat

Unread post by Mark » August 11th, 2020, 10:07 am

I wonder if a digger truck(sets poles) would be an option?
mark

1968 m274A5
1960 m151
1981 m151A2
1964 m416
1971 m416

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » August 11th, 2020, 1:17 pm

Moot point, it is on the ground. Just worked around it and trimmed off all the stuff I knew was not holding it and then when I got to the touchy stuff I made sure there was a tree between me and what I was doing so if it went I was protected. In the end it was a large group of branches all jammed between the two trees at the top where it fell and they were holding one branch that was locking the whole mess together. Once I cut all the ends and was able to pull out the jamming branches, Remember the key I was talking about? Then all I had to do was chain the top of the downed tree to the tractor and pull a bit to one side and away from the base and down she came, THUD! Right on the mark. I really didn't even have to move the container which was REAL pain but better safe than sorry. If you look close at the pic you can see four blocks that the corners of the container were sitting on before I pulled it back.
This is what I started with this morning after clearing a lot of it yesterday. After I pulled the top off the tree trying to pull it down I gave up for the day. It was around 98 degrees and very humid. I figured this morning would be much better. Yea, right.
IMG_2796.JPG
IMG_2792.JPG
IMG_2791.JPG
IMG_2790.JPG
IMG_2789.JPG

This is after I did some more trimming, you can see where all the branches are jammed into the small area between the trees.
IMG_20200811_115505721_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200811_115446112_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200811_115414410_HDR.jpg

And here it is on the ground. I am getting far too old and decrepit for this stuff!!!! I will be paying for this for a month at least.
IMG_20200811_121149490_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200811_121137454_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200811_121121750_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200811_121050195_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200811_121034535.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

12Bravo
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by 12Bravo » August 11th, 2020, 2:56 pm

I like this , we went from a Gama Goat to tree trimming. TJ with all do respect I told you to drill that shaft out from a 3/16" to 1/4 "and put a grade 8 bolt in there. The single line pull you stated is wrong ,all my Goat's I got stuck I used a single line, you only have to use a snatch block if it's loaded down. The last time I winched one out I stepped from the fender to the level ground. Now if you measure the top of that fender to the ground I think you will be surprized of how many inches that is. I winched it out on a single line. The headlights were shining through grass. There is a lot of Gama Goat tales out there ,but I have'd been there done that with one. I guess almost 39 years worth

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » August 11th, 2020, 4:25 pm

A common recommendation for a replacing a shear pin is a 'shear bolt' which, if I had one, might have been a better option than tape...but, I had a shear pin and the book says tape, so I use tape. Why not? It's not like that PTO is spinning like mad...because it isn't. :D

To the matter of grade, grade 8 is far too strong for use in that way. I learned that on a farm....happily, not the hard way but rather under the guidance of an experienced farmer. (He had three fingers on one hand and wanted to see me keep all my original parts still attached).

Remember, the purpose of the shear pin is to de-couple the PTO from the winch before harm is done to the PTO; a costly and time consuming repair. Frankly, I'd rather put my money in simple improvements...like new seat covers. And, a regular bolt is likely to deform when it breaks, making for a great deal of extra work to get the broken bits out. Not something I'd want to have to do in that very limited space. Shear bolts are notched so that they do not deform to any great degree, making them an excellent option.

The easiest way to protect those expensive components is to use the correct grade of shear device (pin, or bolt) and the easiest way to protect your shear-device from shearing is to double your line over whenever the going gets tough.

Yes, there are many tales of straight pulls and with let's face it...with many of those jobs, one can get away with it with no harm done.

-BUT-

I now officially have my Been-There-Done-That-Gama-Goat-Winch-Shear-Pin-Replacement merit badge. I really don't want to earn another one. I'm not getting younger, skinnier, more flexible, or smaller. So, speaking only for myself, I'm rigging a snatch block at the first opportunity if things look like I'll be winching on anything of any consequence.

Dirty Gertie got a serious bath today! I got out the power washer and let her have it. She's not so dirty now and looking just a bit more squared away! Alas, my simple wash job turned into a marathon driveway & sidewalk cleaning session. But, the wife will return to find a far nicer looking homestead and all is well. Happy Wife - Happy Life.

Cheers,
TJ
"This is my Gama Goat. There are many like it, but this one is mine!"

Mark
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Mark » August 11th, 2020, 6:04 pm

I always considered tree trimming hard work/dangerous work
mark

1968 m274A5
1960 m151
1981 m151A2
1964 m416
1971 m416

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » August 12th, 2020, 11:13 am

Compare the two photos that follow. Which Gama Goat is being used for 'training' and which Gama Goat is actually being delivered to the next user, intact. Sheesh!

Properly rigging your vehicle for towing, trailering or airlifting IS important. No doubt about it.
a-marine-corps-ch-53d-sea-stallion-helicopter-airlifts-an-m-561-gamma-goat-325f27-1600.jpg
mmu_get_jpeg.jpg
Cheers,
TJ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mark
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Mark » August 12th, 2020, 2:13 pm

M3a1; Is that your chopper?
mark

1968 m274A5
1960 m151
1981 m151A2
1964 m416
1971 m416

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » August 12th, 2020, 6:56 pm

No. Mine's in the paint shop right now. (big fat lie) :D

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » August 19th, 2020, 1:07 pm

The Gama Goat got another horn yesterday. The first horn suffered from some mysterious need that I was not prepared to deal with and so, it was off with the old and on with a good used horn I've had on the shelf. Naturally, the old horn will get bagged and tagged so as to become some later, small restorative project. It works...but it doesn't work well and I suspect it just needs to be opened up and receive a good cleaning. Dirty Gertie has a nice, loud voice again! MEEP-MEEP!

To be able to add anything meaningful to the value of the Gama Goat has been difficult. 12Bravo kept her in pretty good shape and there just isn't much to do except poke around, get fully acquainted with her and try to address whatever minor needs she has.

My buddy and I tested out the Push-To-Stop system; a button in the carrier lights up a very small red light on the dash of the tractor to direct the driver to stop. I can see how that STOP light was one of the complaints from users as being inadequate. It IS quite small and it is located near the middle of the dash (probably to provide the best chance that it be seen by either the driver or the truck commander). They would have done better to put two STOP lights on the dash, one directly in front of each crewmen, or at the very least, a larger, domed lens on the one in the middle.

This particular light is original equipment and has a flat lens that is only about 10mm in diameter and angled upward slightly, following the angle of the dashboard so whatever sunlight falls upon it would have a tendency to wash out any light coming from the fixture. In the full light of day, it would almost certainly be wholly inadequate. But, there it is! Original equipment that is lighting up and performing as it should....and that's another system on the Gama Goat that has been proof-tested. VERY cool.
IMG_2985.jpeg
There it is, just to the right of and slightly higher than the start switch.
IMG_2932.jpeg
By the way, the bilge pump can also be heard to be working when the switch is thrown. I do that only very briefly because bilge pumps do far better with water in them. I won't be using it... EVER ...but it's nice to know its there.

Today I'm going to have a look at those dash lights. They are not working and I suspect it is just bulbs. Luckily, I have replacements in the GBBOE.

Thanks to Rick who probably was only joking around when he said it but, spray painting my pioneer tools way to close did produce some very satisfying and very authentic looking drips and runs! Add a few 'honest-use' scrapes here and there and they'll be perfect. Niiiiiiice.

Cheers,
TJ
"This is my Gama Goat. There are many like it, but this one is mine."

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » August 20th, 2020, 12:31 pm

So, some of you may be anxious to prove the waterproof qualities of your M-series vehicle. Some of you may already have. Are you SURE you want to do that? If so, be prepared to roll up your sleeves...or come to the G838 and seek an intervention.

Here are some pics I discovered illustrating some of the problems associated with failing to perform the long, arduous PM that is required after swimming a Gama Goat but, since this is a M151 site I will say they could just as reasonably apply to your M151.

The back story is a new owner of a Gama Goat discovered this damage after he began experiencing problems with the brakes and took steps to investigate the cause. This is not meant to be a poke at anyone but rather, a cautionary tale.

You may argue that Gama Goat brakes are far different than those on the M151. My reply would be, rather than thinking of this sort of damage as being to brakes, imagine this sort of thing happening deep within the darkest corners of your M151's unibody. Still want to go swimming?

Enjoy.
M2.jpg
M2-1.jpg
M3.jpg
brake.jpg

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » August 20th, 2020, 1:23 pm

I got into the matter of the lighting for the gauge cluster yesterday. The M561 Gama Goat uses the same gauge cluster as the M151 series of truck (and many other M-series vehicles as well) so, what you see here applies to your truck as well. Remember that if your gauge lights aren't working, maybe you didn't remember flip the little lever on the lower left of the light control box? It's the little things that getcha!

The first issue I came upon was a rather obstinate lens/cap for a light fixture. It would unscrew nicely, then stall after about two turns and after I finally got it out I discovered this. These lenses were just not meant to last forever so my best advice is to consider taking steps to make sure the threads are clean on your light fixtures as a preventative measure.

Once the lens/cap was out, a small dental pick and a little compressed air took care of the rest of it. Easy peasy. The other two came out fine, but dusty, so they got a little bath and were set aside to dry. One of the outer rubber dust seals was cracked and having no immediately suitable substitute, I superglued it back together. I did not superglue it to the lens/cap!
IMG_3103.jpeg
I thought I might use an O-ring until a replacement dust seal could be found (the one I replaced was getting rather brittle) so I went to my Harbor Freight O-ring kit and pulled out one that fit - 7/8 ID x 1 1/8 OD x 1/8 section (thickness). Unfortunately, the height of the lens/cap also performs the primary sealing function to protect the socket against water intrusion because it seats against a rubber seal at its very base. Thus, I could not just screw down the lens/cap until it sealed against the O-ring because it would go up against the bottom water seal first. Not all my great ideas work. Drat! Foiled again!

So, I was now down by one lens/cap and one dust seal (though it was made temporarily serviceable after gluing). The GBBOE provided a replacement take-off cap of similar vintage, but alas...no dust seal to be found. Grrrr!
IMG_3104.jpeg
The large outer seal is really only there as a dust seal. It serves to stabilize the lens/cap and helps to prevent crud from getting into the threads that attach it to the socket. The O ring would have been a terrific substitute but, the 1/8 thickness wasn't quite thick enough to get the job done. Still, I have found this particular kit is often a very handy thing to have.
IMG_3106.jpeg
All that nonsense aside, I got back in there with a circuit tester. All was well in with the left socket (new bulb installed). All became well in the right socket after a little clean-up (new bulb installed). The bottom center socket just wasn't wanting to play nice. That worked out very nicely because what that meant was, now I was down one socket, one dust seal (and one cap to replace the one I took from the GBBOE).

So I ordered a complete NOS socket assembly with lens/cap and dust boot. Tah DAH! I love it when a plan comes together. Now, if we lived in a world where hot dogs and hot dog buns came in packs that were equal in number, we'd really be all set to go!

To be perfectly honest, the two working sockets provide very adequate light to the gauges but I just want to check things off my little repair list and have them over and done with so it's off with the old and in with the new. If I can make that old socket serviceable again, I'll put it back in the GBBOE. Waste not, want not.

Cheers,
TJ
"This is my Gama Goat. There are many like it, but this one is mine."

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » August 20th, 2020, 1:35 pm

Dirty Gertie gets her pioneer tools! Check that off the list!
IMG_3108.jpeg
This presents some minor problems. Because the stops are not in place (they keep the tailgate from banging against the hitch) lowering the tailgate now, will result in the hitch hitting the pioneer tools.

Well, I guess I'm going to have to get busy installing the stops and to do that, I need the little rubber bumpers that go on the stop support bracket.

ADD that to the list! (Balance in the universe has been restored.)

1SGCAV77
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by 1SGCAV77 » August 20th, 2020, 1:46 pm

Doggone those look really nice. But....did I read somewhere that “Goats” don’t get stuck.
MSG, USAR (Ret) 31Jan99
MOS- 63T5H
M151A1- Ford
M416-1967 CEMSCO

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » August 20th, 2020, 1:53 pm

Oh, we Goat drivers just carry around extra tools just to help out those other guys! :lol: :lol: :lol:

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » August 20th, 2020, 2:01 pm

Coming soon -

How Dirty Gertie Got Her Name