oil leak from transfer box

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Snapper
Private First Class
Private First Class

oil leak from transfer box

Unread post by Snapper » October 3rd, 2008, 12:18 pm

I've had my MUTT a month and managed to drive it twice thanks to a cr4p work schedule and trying to rebuild my house.
I've got a small but regular leak from what I think is the drain bolt from the transfer box bell housing which a friend of mine who is a MUTT owner says is common. I'm a technical dunce, but have manuals and friends with brains. I'm assuming I am going to have to do something to try and make a permanent improvement, or do regular care of this niggling problem. Do I need to drain the box and start again? I am not sure how much oil has leaked. But any is no good. My mate suggested hand cutting a thick rubber washer as a kind of bung for the drain, which should sort this out.

Any thoughts please gentlemen?

Mark

rickf
General
General

Re: oil leak from transfer box

Unread post by rickf » October 3rd, 2008, 1:02 pm

Mark, you have three "drains" under the transmission. You have one for the main transmission, one for the transfer case and you have one in the bell housing itself. The one for the bell housing is usually not plugged, the plug for it is in a storage boss next to the drain hole. If the oil is coming out of that hole you do NOT want to stop it up because it will fill the bell housing and soak the clutch. Any oil in there is most likely the rear main seal on the engine. The other two drains use a copper washer available from any of the normal suppliers. You could make one out of teflon or something similar, I think rubber would degrade. If and when you pull the fill bolt MAKE SURE YOU PULL THE RIGHT BOLT !!!!!!!!
Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

baios
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread post by baios » October 4th, 2008, 2:26 am

:? Mark I also have the same leak from that place!!And as Rickf said yes that hole is unplugged and a little oil is coming from there!!!! :? I do not think it is too trouble....but if u see oil from there then it is sure that the engine has oil :) :) :) :)
DO NOT GIVE UP!!!
m51A2 Ford 1971
E-Mail vzisimos@yahoo.gr

Snapper
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by Snapper » October 6th, 2008, 6:57 am

I'm beginning to realise it is not a major issue,but one to monitor. My previous rust heap, the Iltis, was the reverse, if there was a leak - it was a problem. All my early problems were with dodgy diff seals and I had nightmares I'd revisited this problem. Mike told me not to worry - but I did regardless.Thanks for this lads.

MB