This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

dr. trinkmann
Sergeant
Sergeant

assembly parts of vent check valve

Unread post by dr. trinkmann » October 12th, 2016, 6:38 pm

Gentlemen,

I'm new here, but have read here and on g503.org for sometime.
I've got my A2 in february this year and, as You might suggest, we've had good times and bad times since then.
But this is an other story that might be told some other day...

For now I've got a question for you:

Did anyone ever disassemle that vent check valve located at the top center of the inlet manifold?
I did so today and I did not find any gasket inside.
If I blow inside with my mouth the air passes through from both sides. I think with that spring inside the air should only pass from one side while from the other side it should be blocked.
Am I right or wrong? Is there normally a gasket inside which is missing in my assembly?

Thanks for your help guys

Dr. T.

fergrn37
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Re: assembly parts of vent check valve

Unread post by fergrn37 » October 13th, 2016, 6:01 pm

That's a PCV valve. Sucks fumes from the engine blow-by back into the engine for emissions compliance. Should have minimal air flow resistance blowing from engine side to intake side. When assembled, shake it and it should 'rattle'.
Some people are too busy knowing it all to ever learn anything

dr. trinkmann
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by dr. trinkmann » October 14th, 2016, 12:36 am

hi fergrn,
thx for your reply although that was not my question at all.
Meanwhile I found a pic of another disassembled Vale where the Piston and the spring are twisted by 180 degrees to mine.
Ok...did assemble it in that way and will do a testdrive today...

Dr. T.

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by muttguru » October 15th, 2016, 3:08 pm

Dr Trink......
this is how your metering valve (also known as the Donaldson Valve) should look. Looks like your spring is incorrectly located. :D

Ken
Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

toadette
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by toadette » October 16th, 2016, 1:10 am

I am interested in the valve function as I suspected that the one on my A2 was not closing off properly. I have a black sooty exhaust discharge after starting whch stains the garage wall it's very fumey too.
Maybe the valve is the source of the problem. I took it off but so far I can't uncrew the main body which has probably not been opened before - any comments would be welcome.
Bill

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » October 16th, 2016, 9:49 am

The PCV valve does not close off completely. It regulates the flow of vapor from the crankcase into the intake manifold but it never closes off. The sooty discharge is normal for a carbureted vehicle and it is a combination of rich exhaust mixed with water vapor in the exhaust. A carbureted vehicle does not run anywhere near as clean as a fuel injected one does. And the longer you leave the choke on the worse it gets. Now if the carburetor is adjusted too rich that could also be causing a problem if it is still doing this once it is warmed up. In any case the PCV valve has nothing to do with the exhaust fumes.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

dr. trinkmann
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by dr. trinkmann » October 18th, 2016, 10:32 am

Ok...did assemble in muttguru's order, although my part #3 Looks completely different...but you saw that already on my pic :wink:
Now I've got a clear resistance from one side (not completely off indeed) and a good flow from the other side.

Thank you, gents, for helping!

Dr.T.

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » November 27th, 2017, 1:29 pm

Found this searching - Okay so just recently got the engine running with no problems. While test running I had left the pcv valve and connecting tube to valve cover off. This weekend I disassembled the pcv valve to make sure it was clear and appears to be made up correctly. Started the engine and after a few minutes I spotted a slow drip coming from the bottom hole of the bell housing cover. Does not drip when just sitting there. I'm suspecting the crankcase is over pressurizing. PCV appeared clean... how much of a "rattle" should I hear when shaking back and forth? I only heard a faint "tic-tic" like heard at beginning of video. Definitely not load or rattling like newer one shown on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xhszeru6QyM

I just don't have a reference/experience to compare to.
1960 M151 Run #1
"There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove....." - K8icu
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin