Windshield assy mount/folding bracket

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Xloflyr
Private First Class
Private First Class

Windshield assy mount/folding bracket

Unread post by Xloflyr » November 6th, 2016, 12:28 pm

In the process of removing all external hardware etc from my 70 A2 for bodywork and resto. This MUTT has the heater installed on the passenger side - having read all the horror stories reference this heater I am hesitant to remove the right windshield mount/folding bracket for fear of losing nuts etc down behind the heater. Is this a concern or are there rivnuts there? Research in the -20 and -34 doesn't address this. Thanks

Fil Bonica
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Windshield assy mount/folding bracket

Unread post by Fil Bonica » November 6th, 2016, 1:26 pm

If is an A2 there are nuts and bolts holding things.
A1s had weld nuts.
If it were my vehicle I would leave the bracket in place.
If you decide differently plan on dropping the heater box to unsecure things and then reinstall .
Had a. Horror show when I built my last A2 and mounted that hinge incorrectly.
Didn find the mistake till the heater was installed.
So much fun doing things twice!!!

Have fun

Fil Bonica
K1ABW

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » September 17th, 2017, 10:17 am

Well, he's certainly come a long way from fretting over windshield assemblies! Here's a sneak peak at Xloflyer's most excellent shop with his most excellent lift and most his excellent MUTT, seen here with his most excellent engine about ready to go in. Somewhere around there is his most excellent wife and his most excellent dog. I posted these photos because apparently my hints that he sit down and post some pics here on the G haven't sunk in. I came into this project very late and even I haven't seen what came before. So, if you want to see more, PM Xloflyr and tell him to get with the program and share with the rest of us.

Twin carabiners ensure these hooks don't ding the most excellent valve cover and that most excellent leveler makes the install sooo easy. Perfect control. No muss, no fuss, no chalky after-taste! :lol:

There's the reason for pulling the engine. His most excellent new transmission replaces the his less-than-excellent old transmission, which the previous owner had apparently been using as a fish tank.

I suggested he and I swap MUTTs which would save him the heartache of getting this most excellent truck dirty. I am a most excellent friend for offering to take that hit.

Nearly there.

Yours truly with my hands deep in the heart of a most excellent Texas MUTT. I got my hair cut and wore my new Gas Monkey Garage tee shirt just for this photo op. :D

Don't forget to PM Xloflyr and tell him to stop being a lurker here on the G and to share with the rest of us!
Last edited by m3a1 on September 17th, 2017, 11:40 am, edited 6 times in total.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » September 17th, 2017, 10:26 am

STOP LURKING!!!! Excellent shop and mutt. I don't believe I just said that word again. :roll: That rubber diamond stuff on the floor is nice till you have to maneuver an engine hoist on it. Everyone take a look at the rig used to hold the engine!! This is how you prevent breaking that rear eye bolt! And fender covers on a mutt?! TJ must think he is working on a fancy concours car.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » September 17th, 2017, 11:32 am

Yeah the diamond stuff doesn't like having a heavy engine hoist on it but otherwise, it IS nice if something drips, spills, etc.. We ended up rolling the truck to the engine and that worked just fine.

on-to-berlin
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by on-to-berlin » September 18th, 2017, 3:53 pm

Its not that bad to remove and replace the heater.I just did it on my project. I called it to Mutt Yoga. If you have to make very flexible movements and if it starts to hurt then simply breath in deeply and exhale slowly. The pain will go away- eventually. If not stop right there open up a beer and work on it another day.
And I did leave my hinges on. Its was a 1973 AM General.
1939 Harley Davidson U
1944 Harley Davidson WLA
1944 Willys MB
1969 Ford Mutt A1
1973 AM General Mutt A2

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » September 18th, 2017, 6:08 pm

Well, maybe someday Xloflyr will share this tale with us.