This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

dr. trinkmann
Sergeant
Sergeant

Questions on oil-filter

Unread post by dr. trinkmann » March 8th, 2017, 4:04 am

Hey Guys,

the next weeks I'm going to re-awaken my Mutt from winter sleep.
Further I want to change the engine-oil and the oil-filter.
There are a lot of filters that should fit, but there are two things that I'm wondering about:

1. Is it important the filter to have an emergency pressure valve and if so, what opening value (psi/bar) should it have?
2. Is it important to have a return-flow lock valve (don't know if that is the right translation for "Ruecklaufsperrventil")?

Thanks a have a nice day!

Dr. Trinkmann

rickf
General
General

Re: Questions on oil-filter

Unread post by rickf » March 8th, 2017, 9:33 am

Yes and kind of yes. All brand name filters will have these features. The pressures are unknown to me. The reason the the bypass valve is so that if the filter clogs the oil will bypass the filter and still get to the bearings. The anti backflow valve keeps oil in the filter when in the inverted position to prevent the oil pump from having to fill the filter before the oil flows to the rest of the engine. This valve is not airtight and will leakdown after a couple days usually.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

dr. trinkmann
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by dr. trinkmann » March 8th, 2017, 10:21 am

Ok Rick I understand.
Concerning the question about the value for opening pressure I took a look at FRAM's Homepage:

Both as compatible listed civilian filters ("PH8A" and "TG8A") seem have a valve-opening-setup of 12psi which is about 0.8bar.
Now I know what to look for...

Thanks

Dr. Trinkmann

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » March 9th, 2017, 8:34 am

If you are going to use a Fram filter, do not use the orange one. Use the gold, or XG filter. It is the one labeled for extended use with synthetic motor oil. It won't hurt to use it with conventional motor oil. If you do some google searches of filters that have been cut open, you will find that the orange filter is poorly made while the gold filter is very well made.

In this case, the proper filter would be the XG8A

http://www.fram.com/search-parts/Part-D ... F=&MF=&OT=
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus