Driveshaft Dropped

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Rainman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Driveshaft Dropped

Unread post by Rainman » November 2nd, 2008, 3:27 pm

Yesterday afternoon while running an errand, I dropped my driveshaft. 2 bolts broke at the rear differential and it made a little noise shortly afterward. :( Not sure how it happened, but the end of the driveshat went above the right rear A arm and wedged between the tranny, the sub frame, and the A arm. Minor damage to the sub frame, and leaking at the tranny due to the torque I suppose the seal tore. Plenty of spare U joints and even a spare drive shaft if I damaged the old one, but damn, that seal is a PIA for me this time of year.

Any words of wisdom from my peers?

Rainman
M151 World Land Speed Record Holder

k8icu
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Re: Driveshaft Dropped

Unread post by k8icu » November 2nd, 2008, 11:28 pm

Wow Ray....that sucks.. I've never seen that happen. Did the bolts come loose or just like sheer off? Maybe that lead foot of yours needs to be lighten... :)
There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove.....

m151tx
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by m151tx » November 3rd, 2008, 9:01 am

Hi.

Same thing happened to me on the flight line at Barksdale this year, left a trail a of shame (oil) all the way back to the hanger, I was lucky it did not bounce back up though. I was just glad it was not the front of the shaft that gave way !!

In my case I think I had a kink in the drive shaft from one of the movie jobs we did and it was stressing the yolk and it finally gave way.

Sorry about the seals they can be a real pain.

Mark

Fil Bonica
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Fil Bonica » November 3rd, 2008, 10:56 am

Had it happen to me on a Mutt I was working on. Dropped the shaft in a sleet storm in the neighborhood. Called AAA to tow it home because of the weather.

The autopsy indicated that it was due to loose bolts.

It is so critical to check ALL the drive U joints and wheel U joints for proper tension.

If Not this is what can happen.

Fil Bonica
K1ABW

Ralph Fuller
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Ralph Fuller » November 4th, 2008, 11:23 am

Thanks for the reminder, Fil 8)
Ralph
1967 M151A1
1967 M151A1
1967 M416
1947 Bantam TC-3 trailer
If The Phone Don't Ring ... You'll Know It's Me
Airborne Ranger CIB Vietnam

Rainman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Rainman » November 4th, 2008, 1:46 pm

Well, it's back on the road with the help of a couple of friends.
Re-assembled the rear tranny with the seal out of a differential seal kit, and did a new seal on that end of the differential too. Thanks Rick for the call and the helpful advise! Only things remaining is to locate a dozen 5/16 X24 bolts to replace a couple I snagged off of the 64 Kaiser and have a few spares, and to return the tap I borrowed to chase out the threads on the differential yokes taken from one of my spares. Also replaced the drive shaft with a NOS one I had waiting in reserve for a mission. It was suggested by more than one person that the bolts may have come loose, resulting in their eventual failure. With a suggestion from Rick, I'll replace the snagged yokes with NOS ones, as drilling and removing the broken grade 8 bolts my not be worth the time and trouble.

Rainman :D
M151 World Land Speed Record Holder

k8icu
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by k8icu » November 4th, 2008, 10:48 pm

Since the drive shafts bolt into their yokes I wonder if locktight might not be a bad thing to use on them to help hold them in place?
There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove.....

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » November 4th, 2008, 10:58 pm

Too loose and the bolts come loose, too tight and they shear. Sounds like one of those parts where you definitely need a god torque wrench. Guesstimating won't do, unless you don't mind the occasional catastrophic drive shaft failure. :!:
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

Muttland
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by Muttland » November 5th, 2008, 10:04 am

When I restored the Mutt years a go, quickly went to trip to the beach in a desolation place.
All the time was nesesary to put on the front traction, and in that situation a great sound appeared, the velocity was low because the sand was very soft. Two mising bolt in proppeler shaft in the front train were the result, but the proppeler shaft did not fall. Two hours looking in the vehicle to obtain 2 similar blots. One from the electrical regulator an the other i dont remember. The trip was end without any more relevant alteration.

Muttland
M151-A1 1966 M416 1966