Brake light switch at the brake pedal

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

HitchMar Films
Corporal
Corporal

Brake light switch at the brake pedal

Unread post by HitchMar Films » March 15th, 2017, 5:24 am

The brake light issue I was having was due to a bad switch. Its the one mounted at the pedal... (M151A2?)

Is there any easy way of pulling and replacing that switch??? I had a hard time pulling the wires apart just to check the switch. The roll cage gets in the way. I can't see pulling the switch being any easier...

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!!

Chris...

ErEyal
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Brake light switch at the brake pedal

Unread post by ErEyal » March 15th, 2017, 11:10 am

the pedal brake light switch is quit easy to pull out as i recall ,

i need to replace mine as-well due to the fact one of the cable connectors got snapped , did you got a replacement yet?

Eyal

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » March 16th, 2017, 7:07 pm

The job is made far easier by first removing the driver's seat. Other than that, it's doable entirely by feel.

Here is a pic of the whole pedal assembly once taken out of the truck. This should help you visualize what you need to do. You might consider picking up a cheap mirror and laying it on the floorboards if you absolutely must see the work you're doing. You won't be disconnecting the linking rod. Undo the bolts that hold the switch to the mount (1/2" as I recall) and once those are removed, rotate it so that it slides off the rod. Pay close attention when you take it off. I think this picture should answer most of your questions.

Cheers,
TJ
Last edited by m3a1 on March 19th, 2017, 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » March 16th, 2017, 7:28 pm

Excellent info, do you have a pic from the pedal side so you can see the whole rod? Where the rod attaches to the pedal?
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

HitchMar Films
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by HitchMar Films » March 18th, 2017, 4:58 pm

Thanks again everyone!!!!

I did get a replacement part already. I went the fast way, eBay. $39 including shipping. Did no shopping so I have no idea if they're cheaper anywhere else...

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » March 19th, 2017, 4:46 pm

Here ya go. Good thing you asked because I had to really hunt for these pics

By the way, I don't want to hijack this thread, but this is an excellent time to discuss one of the tricks involved in the removal of the entire pedal group, should one choose to do so.

Regarding the transverse bolt and bracket on the tails of the pedal assembly framework - When everything is assembled and in the truck, that is the bolt that is furthest aft and is closest to the dash panel and that is the well-hidden "mystery bolt" that hangs most people up if they don't know enough to remove the light switch from the dash before attempting to remove the pedal group. By removing the light switch, you can get to that bolt (and see what you're doing while you're at it).

You can see the same bolt and bracket has been removed from the assembly in this pic.

Cheers,
TJ

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » March 19th, 2017, 7:23 pm

And you can also see the brake light adjustment which is why I asked for this picture. Yes, the last bolt is fun. Just wait til you have to replace the master cylinder Chris. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Auzziemutt
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by Auzziemutt » March 22nd, 2017, 9:34 pm

Great post , especially with the photos. Exactly what I needed to know also.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » March 24th, 2017, 11:45 am

Glad to be of help.

There is also something else to consider here that goes beyond the R&R of the brake light switch. Brakes. It is my opinion that replacing the master cylinder is far easier when one removes the whole pedal assembly. I think it is far easier to get at the bolts that hold the pedal assembly in place than to have to struggle in the confined space of the footwell. I have done two of these (one on my A2 with ROPS and one on my Alley Cat without ROPS) and it's not a horrible task....just a bit time consuming. The bonus is you'll then have an opportunity to clean up and service the pedal assembly as necessary. Both my trucks had been ranch/hunting trucks and both really needed attention in that area.

Cheers,
TJ