Tires on the Mutt go round and round....

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

HitchMar Films
Corporal
Corporal

Tires on the Mutt go round and round....

Unread post by HitchMar Films » March 15th, 2017, 5:36 am

I did a forum search and didn't find anything, which was probably me just not seeing anything...

Does anyone have any suggestions about running something other than the 700X16 military tires??? My Mutt is my daily driver and it goes everywhere with me. I also do a lot of off road driving, mostly work related. Rough terrain stuff... I really like the performance of the military tires, but I was really surprised at the inability to get any kind of life out of them. They don't much like the asphalt...

Anybody have any suggestions on a good on/off road tire that will fit the Mutt's rims? I don't really want to change out the rims, just improve tire life...

Thanks!!!

Chris...

rickf
General
General

Re: Tires on the Mutt go round and round....

Unread post by rickf » March 15th, 2017, 8:04 am

Chris, this has been asked several times and the answer is tough. It is sort of like asking "what is the best motor oil". You are going to get hundreds of answers since everybody has their own favorite. I always liked the BF Goodrich AT tires. They had good traction off road, lasted a long time on road and had both good traction and good road manners on road. The size you are looking for is 215/85R-16. That is the same size used by all of the 3/4 ton pick-ups in the 80's-90's. The biggest problem is you will not find that size in anything under an 8 ply rating so they might be a little rough riding but you will be able to run lower pressure than what they were designed for so that will help.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

HitchMar Films
Corporal
Corporal

Re: Tires on the Mutt go round and round....

Unread post by HitchMar Films » March 18th, 2017, 5:00 pm

Thank you Rickf!!!!!