markings on instrument panel

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

UpstateSC
Corporal
Corporal

markings on instrument panel

Unread post by UpstateSC » May 3rd, 2017, 9:52 am

Sanding down thru paint on the instrument panel in front of the passenger seat.

in the area UNDER the vehicle tag, i found painted several painted letters, the ones I could make out were "..OM 3..."

any idea what this might have said?

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Re: markings on instrument panel

Unread post by muttguru » May 3rd, 2017, 5:52 pm

UpstateSC wrote:Sanding down thru paint on the instrument panel in front of the passenger seat.

in the area UNDER the vehicle tag, i found painted several painted letters, the ones I could make out were "..OM 3..."

any idea what this might have said?
That is your US Army Registration Number for the vehicle (ie...the Hood Number).

It should read NBO then it will be 3 letters or a combination of letters and numbers, such as NBO XY2

Take it VERY CAREFULLY now....get that last three revealed....don't obliterate anything until you have determined the numbers/letters and take pictures or sketches.

Ken
Last edited by muttguru on May 4th, 2017, 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » May 4th, 2017, 1:14 am

If original markings are important to you, I cannot emphasize how important it is to follow Ken's advice and take pictures of this process. Pictures help in any number of ways (not the least of which is including entertaining the rest of us) but they also allow you to print out a pic of what might be a nearly unreadable marking and, with a little work with a pencil and some fuzzy logic, allow you to determine exactly what those markings are. That's how I finally sorted out my bumper markings.

Cheers,
TJ

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » May 4th, 2017, 7:45 am

And with a digital camera you do not have to worry about running out of film. Ok, young guys don't remember those days. :roll: :roll: :roll: Take pictures from several angles while doing your sanding. Mist it with water once in a while and take a pic while wet. It will show the edges of a different paint line sometimes. wet it and squeegee it and take pics. You get the idea.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

UpstateSC
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by UpstateSC » May 10th, 2017, 11:36 pm

Image[/img]