Exhaust leak

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

MUTT Vet
Sergeant Major of the "G"

Exhaust leak

Unread post by MUTT Vet » November 10th, 2008, 9:50 am

I have just put on my top and sides and I noticed a slight exhaust leak.

By the time i get to work I'm feeling a little funny. :shock:

I've checked the pipe connections underneath the body and looked around the manifold but i can't find the source.

Should I take the manifold off and disconnect all the pipes and replace the gaskets?

Anything else i should check for, it's kind of a pain in the butt to drive with exhaust funneling into the cab.

I'm thinking on putting some exhaust sealant on all the connections as well.

I've read the TM's and all i can find is how to install the exhaust system and minor troubleshooting. I'm just curious what pointers i can get as this is the first exhaust leak i've noticed that has made it into the cab.

Thanks.
Eric
***My Jeep won a war, your CJ delivers my mail***
------------------------------------
AIR FORCE (1998-Present)
The American Legion
NRA, 1999 (#: 39234404)
MVPA (#: 34922)
M151A2 super MUTT (stolen)
M151A2 regular MUTT (in works)
Harley Davidson WLA w/ sidecar
M-37 x 2

raymond
Major General
Major General

Re: Exhaust leak

Unread post by raymond » November 10th, 2008, 10:04 am

As drafty as those tops are, I would think an exhaust leak bad enough to make you woozy would be pretty apparent :shock:
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

MUTT Vet

Unread post by MUTT Vet » November 10th, 2008, 11:23 am

You would think so, but i can't find it.

I have half a day today and I'm going to have to check for holes in the the pipes or muffler that i may have put there while off roading this weekend, i had a few underbody impacts.
Eric
AIR FORCE (1998-Present)
The American Legion
M-37 x 2

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » November 10th, 2008, 1:27 pm

Be very careful here, carbon monoxide poisening is cumulative. It continues to build up in your system and takes a long time to eliminate. If you are feeling dizzy then you have WAY to much exposure! Do not drive it anymore until you fix the leaks. I have always doubled up on the little round gaskets since the seat is never straight. Also you could have a leaky exhaust manifold and not really hear it. I had leaks at every port of the manifold and never heard a tick! Also make sure your tailpipe is out to the side or exhaust will build up behind the mutt and come in through the edges of the top.
Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by muttguru » November 10th, 2008, 5:27 pm

Eric,

Here's a warning about exhaust leaks from good old PS Magazine. Take heed....if there are fumes coming into the truck then you need to get it sorted before you end up in The Big Sleep.

Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

ida34
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by ida34 » November 11th, 2008, 12:34 am

The best way to find an exhaust leak is to start the engine while it is cold. Have soldier B press on the opening on the tail pipe with a rag. Have him try to seal it all off then you should listen for the leak. It will run for a few seconds with the exhaust blocked but you may have to have B let off for a second then plug it again. Do this until you find the leak. When I worked as a mechanic we would do this after installing a new exhaust to check for leaks. The leaks are easy to spot with the exhaust blocked. In really bad cases the leaks are so bad that the engine will not stop even with the exhaust plugged. Good luck. I see the PS article advises against this method but you must do it a little at a time. Don't just plug it and leave it plugs. Plug it for a second then let off. Repeat until you find the leak.

MUTT Vet

Unread post by MUTT Vet » November 17th, 2008, 3:00 pm

Hey ida34, i tried your method and it worked like a charm.

I found the leak at a weld right where the pipe from the manifold goes into the muffler on top. It wasn't visible without taking the muffler off.

I took the whole exhaust system off and re-welded the bad spot and put on new gaskets, including the manifold gasket and applied exhaust sealant to all the joints just for good measure.

I haven't had a problem since.
Eric
AIR FORCE (1998-Present)
The American Legion
M-37 x 2

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » November 17th, 2008, 3:48 pm

I bet you are back to seeing one target again too.Hey someone asked on another post about HK, have you heard from mim or talked to him? Last thing I heard was you said he may go back to Boston. If he has those ranchlands he ought to go there, A LOT better than Boston!
Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

MUTT Vet

Unread post by MUTT Vet » November 17th, 2008, 5:29 pm

rickf wrote:I bet you are back to seeing one target again too.Hey someone asked on another post about HK, have you heard from mim or talked to him? Last thing I heard was you said he may go back to Boston. If he has those ranchlands he ought to go there, A LOT better than Boston!
I talked to him not too long ago and he's definitly moving. He said his three options were moving somewhere in Wichita Falls, to his ranch, or to Boston.

He said that more than likely he will be going to Boston because of his sick mother. If she gets better before he has to move out, he said he'll head up to the ranch.

I'll be helping him move if he hasn't forgotten. He said he can't move all his jeep parts so he might give them to me. We'll see, either way i'll be sad to see him go.
Eric
AIR FORCE (1998-Present)
The American Legion
M-37 x 2

ida34
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by ida34 » November 18th, 2008, 1:00 am

Glad you got it fixed. I looked at mine this weekend and found the connection at the front of the muffler was rusted out and there was not clamp. I did find an old repair made out of an old license plate. I have a new muffler so I just need the rest of the pipes. Right now I am more concerned with getting the rust fixed on the body then I will work on the rust in the exhaust. Again, glad you got you problem fixed. CO2 poisoning is no joke.

Chuck