Driveshaft fell out

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Matthew10_28
civilian

Driveshaft fell out

Unread post by Matthew10_28 » August 23rd, 2017, 5:04 pm

I was taking the family for a drive in our neighborhood. I just pulled out of the driveway and was making my way through the gears like normal. In the middle of 3rd gear (where I normally keep it for neighborhood speeds). BAM! It sounded like someone smacked the bottom of the tub with a large hammer. I snapped my head back to see what I ran over to find what I later confirmed to be my drive shaft. I tried a 3 point turn and confirmed the rear drive was gone. Slapped it in 4wd to get home and now its hosed. I'm not sure what happened to cause this, but this is the result. See picture album below. My dad suspected the rear diff noise we all know and love to be part of the problem sighting misalignment or mismeasurement when they welded the 2 halfs of the chassis back together after it was de-milled. Now what?

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/tVh ... rzkzleLKm0

Fil Bonica
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Driveshaft fell out

Unread post by Fil Bonica » August 23rd, 2017, 6:55 pm

Classic failure of early contract A2s daee71-0103.
There was a reinforcing kit to cur the problem.
Had a similar sound but fortunately caught it before failure.
Hope this helps.

Fil Bonica
K1ABW

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Hambone » August 23rd, 2017, 7:08 pm

Isn't that a A1? Did they have the same problem? Did the driveshaft gouge into the pavement and tear the diff. loose?

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » August 23rd, 2017, 7:12 pm

And I am guessing that along with the driveshaft in the road was a very large oil spill of gear oil as the drive shaft pulled the yoke out of the transmission. That area of the neighborhood is gonna stink for a long while! :roll: It looks bad but with some work you can repair the mounts in several different ways. Personally I would cut out the bottom section that was damaged by the bolt ripping out of the one and pulling the others and weld in a heavier piece to replace it. If you use a heavy piece to replace what was torn out then then you should not have the problem again. It looks like the differential had come loose or was never tightened. If it was a misalignment during the reweld the the front shaft would not fit since the shafts are solid. The front to rear distance has to be perfect for both shafts to fit. Unless the shafts were cut and welded too.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » August 24th, 2017, 12:14 am

That's a tragedy right there...but repairable. Git 'er DONE!