Gas pedal adjustment ?

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Surveyor
Terminal

Gas pedal adjustment ?

Unread post by Surveyor » October 1st, 2017, 3:34 pm

I read in one of the manuals that when the throttle is open fully the pedal should be 1/4in from floor but it does not mention height above when closed. Right now i have from 1/4in to about 1-3/4in but that does not give me full range of motion of the throttle on the carb.. id say only about half to three quarters of the way. It looks to me that the throttle adjustment wire is what is keeping pedal from coming up further. Just doesnt seem right to me. I figure the throttle adjustment lever should have a longer wire but it is attached at the very end. Would need to get a new one to go longer. I'm thinking maybe someone did this to keep speed down. Nor sure. Might not be a bad idea to leave as is. What do ya'll think?
1960 M151 Run #1
"There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove....." - K8icu
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin

Vzike
Sergeant Major of the "G"

Re: Gas pedal adjustment ?

Unread post by Vzike » October 2nd, 2017, 8:15 am

If you suspect the throttle cable is an issue, disconnect it. See if that resolves your pedal issue. Once it is disconnected, you can pull it all the way out (as long as the wire is not badly bent), and measure it. I believe I have a new one at the garage, and can tell you what it should be. If the pedal is correct, you can leave the throttle lock disconnected. It really is not very useful on these.

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » October 2nd, 2017, 9:24 am

Vz, Good idea but it's going to be a son of a gun to get it out. Retaining screw looks rusted in tight and the head faces up towards windshield. Why I was asking first. My back is not going to like that one. Do you actually see full range of motion on the throttle from stop point to stop point (or close to it) when pressing the pedal on the ones you work on?
1960 M151 Run #1
"There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove....." - K8icu
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin

Vzike

Unread post by Vzike » October 2nd, 2017, 9:39 am

OK.... push the throttle control all the way in. Do your contortionist best to reach up inside, and see if there is any play between the wire clamp and where it passes through the upper eye in the gas pedal upper extension. If no, then I think you have to take it off. You can try adjusting the screw on the fuel linkage. Remove the clip, and try in or out to get more play. Not sure if that would help or not.