Brakes can't do without them

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

buttanic
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Brakes can't do without them

Unread post by buttanic » November 17th, 2017, 9:43 pm

When I bought this Mutt 4 years ago it had brake issues, leaking wheel cylinders, old flex hoses, worn out drums. I replaced the drums, shoes, wheel cylinders, hoses and blew out all the lines, new silicone fluid and all was good. Lately It started pulling to the left and locking the left rear under hard breaking. Took the drum off looking for problems, nothing visible, no leaks, nice drums and shoes. Cleaned everything with brake cleaner and put it back together and it was still pulling left but would now it would lock the left front. Pulled it apart, same story, nothing visible, no leaks, nice drums and shoes, cleaned it up. Then it started pulling right and locking the right front. Again same story, nothing visible, no leaks, nice drums and shoes, cleaned it up, still pulling right and locks the right front under hard braking. I guess next I will pull the right rear apart next. I can't figure out what's happening.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Re: Brakes can't do without them

Unread post by m3a1 » November 17th, 2017, 10:36 pm

For starters, you haven't said what size wheel cylinders you have on the front and rear or which model of M151 you have.

Mark
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Mark » November 17th, 2017, 10:39 pm

If it is pulling to the left,that means the right side isn't working?
mark

1968 m274A5
1960 m151
1981 m151A2
1964 m416
1971 m416

buttanic
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by buttanic » November 17th, 2017, 11:42 pm

It's an A1 but when I put new wheel cylinders on I put 1" in the front and 3/4" in the rear. I understand why a vehicle pulls, it's either too much or too little braking on a side. What I don't understand is why it went from pulling left to pulling right, I didn't disassemble anything, just pulled the wheels and drums off and looked and couldn't see any thing obvious, thought I might find a fluid leak that contaminated the shoes. Before I looked it pulled left after it pulls right. Used the same adjustment on each wheel.

svramselaar
Major
Major

Unread post by svramselaar » November 18th, 2017, 5:18 am

hi

at my two years check for the government (apk ) my rear right brake was not good
at the brake test bench it was to low and at several brakes it was every time different
we take the drums off nothing to see it was as new inside
we dit put new brake hoses at the rear
and at the brake test bench is was OK :D

george

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » November 18th, 2017, 10:54 am

Did someone at some point switch from DOT 5 to DOT3 fluid without draining the old fluid completely out first? The two fluids are not compatible and will eventually gel when mixed and cause all kinds of weird problems.
Another thing that will cause that, especially on the mutt, is brake adjustment. You have to follow the procedure to the letter and keep up with it since they are not self adjusting.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

buttanic
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by buttanic » November 18th, 2017, 4:54 pm

No mixed fluids, I pulled both fronts apart, took the wheel cylinders apart, scuffed the shoes with sandpaper and cleaned everything with brake cleaner. It is stopping straight, I will see for how long. Through all of this I didn't see anything obvious that caused the problem.