Steering wheel, boy did I screw up!!

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Motorcityman
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Re: Steering wheel, boy did I screw up!!

Unread post by Motorcityman » November 28th, 2017, 4:17 pm

My neighbor is a tool and die maker and I sent him and text he said why not just thread the inside and put a fine threat bolt into the pipe. He said to drill a hole through the bolt for the horn wire. I'm gonna play with it tonight and see.

Motorcityman
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by Motorcityman » November 28th, 2017, 8:33 pm

My father owned an auto parts store here in Detroit from 1960 to 2005, when he retired he gave me all his old tools, some I use daily some I even never used and never plan on using, this tool is one of them. I forgot all about it then I dug it out of storage, I'm glad I did. The smallest thread size happened to be the proper one, 5/8 x 18. It's a split chaser tool. Basically I used the torch to cherry up the threaded area put this tool on and I used a C-clamp to squeeze the split chase, I let it cool down and with some cutting oil and back and forth motion it spun nicely, I cleaned everything up with the die and viola the nut spun on beautifully.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » November 28th, 2017, 9:29 pm

You and that damn torch!!!!! You do realize you probably just destroyed that antique tool! Never, ever put heat to a hardened die or cutter, it takes the temper right out of them. I am glad to see you got it fixed but you totally ignored the patience part. Not everything has to be done fast and with a torch. A torch should be the absolute last resort unless it is just heating up a nut, not bolt, just the nut for removal. Is there a name on that tool anywhere?
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Motorcityman
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by Motorcityman » November 28th, 2017, 10:18 pm

I didn't heat the threads with the tool on it, I heated it then quickly put the tool on and clamped it down with the C-clamp. I put gunsmithing anti-heat paste on everything other than the threaded section, the tool is fine.

SturmTyger380
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by SturmTyger380 » November 29th, 2017, 9:41 am

A few years back I needed a steering wheel for a late model F150. The truck was used and the steering wheel looked like some rat had chewed on it.

I went to the local junk yard and we rode in the junkyard dog truck out to the same year F150. The yard guy loosened the steering wheel nut, took a BFH and pulling up on the wheel, rared back and whacked the nut with the hammer. Two wacks and the wheel was off. I am glad I didn't need the steering column after that. :shock:
45' MB, ??' MBT, 47' CJ2A, 48' CJ2A,
51' M38 #1, 51' M38 #2, 51' M100,
52' M37, ??' M101A1 (1st Gulf War Vet),
53' M38A1, 53' M211, 65' M151A1, 67' M416,
MVPA #31724

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » November 29th, 2017, 8:59 pm

Fabulous! Christmas came early. I'm SO glad you got that sorted out....and lucked out with the tool, as well.

Nice tool. I'm jealous! :mrgreen: Maybe I should be on the lookout for one when I hit the flea market?! Heck, we should ALL be on the lookout for one!

Cheers,
TJ

buttanic
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by buttanic » December 4th, 2017, 1:39 pm

m3a1 wrote:Ok, once again, I'm looking at your threads in cross section and just had an epiphany.

If you don't want to spend the money on the correct tool, RATHER than cutting that damaged area off entirely (and looking closely, I see there's a LOT of expansion there) why not consider interrupting the threads by making a cruciform cut across the top, say, one or two...maybe three turns of the thread?

This would allow the threaded pipe to close to the correct major diameter as you ran a nut back up and off. Then, once everything is installed, insert a small sleeve to keep the threads pushed outward. That would be far better than simply cutting the damaged area off.

Something to think about.

Cheers,
TJ
Good idea.