Transfr Case Oil

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

kmam
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Transfr Case Oil

Unread post by kmam » November 26th, 2017, 3:08 am

Today I drained the gearbox and transfer case. Filled the gearbox and it took about 3 litres, not the 2.51 the manual states. Can’t find a filler plug for the transfer case so am I correct in assuming that the surplus in the gear box actually flows over and fills the transfer case?

If not, where do I fill it?
Howard

Daimler Ferret Mk 1/2
AM General M151A2
Austin Champ

Horst
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Transfr Case Oil

Unread post by Horst » November 26th, 2017, 4:46 am

correct, transfer and transmission are one unit with one oil supply. The oil level should be up to the upper plug on the side of the transmission. It is a plug similar to the drain plugs and is not to be confused with the bolt holding the reverse gear lever. But that one looks different and has a locking tab.

Sometime it is easier to fill from the top of the transmission but that only applies if you have the cover removed anyway for another reason.
Horst

1972 USMC M151A2 w/ROPS (ex Barstow) and M416
1962 M201 and trailer
1966 GTO,1982 E350 Skoolie, 1987 SJ413, 1987 911
Gone: 2xM35A2c, Unimog 404S, Hanomag AL28, DKW Munga

kmam
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread post by kmam » November 26th, 2017, 5:05 am

Thanks Horst
Howard

Daimler Ferret Mk 1/2
AM General M151A2
Austin Champ

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by muttguru » November 26th, 2017, 7:44 am

Howard..... (sorry for the name mixup)....

I hope you used a straight 90 gear oil and kept well clear of hypoy or EP versions. f not, we will no doubt see you in the "replacement transmission wanted" section of this board in a few months..... :D
Ken
Last edited by muttguru on November 26th, 2017, 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

kmam
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread post by kmam » November 26th, 2017, 3:28 pm

I bought the oil a year back thinking I would be at this stage of the renovation then :( I don’t recall all the details and will check but I did make sure it had all the standards recommended on this forum to avoid synchro cone problems.

I intend changing it again after about 50km as there was some minor rust in the gear box. I will check again to ensure what I use is correct.

Thanks for the warning.

Howard
Howard

Daimler Ferret Mk 1/2
AM General M151A2
Austin Champ

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » November 26th, 2017, 9:12 pm

There are two plugs on the side of the transmission, you do NOT want to take out the TOP one!!! On the later transmissions it is a different type of plug and the standard wrench will not fit it but it is the same thread as the drain and fill plugs so anybody could have put an old style reverse shift fork pivot pin bolt in there. The fill plug is the lower of the two plugs and actual looks like it is lower than it should be, it is recessed back a bit into the transmission and is the same style bolt head as the drain plug. The specified amount of oil is for the total fill of the transmission as a unit, that includes the transfer case. If you pull the top plug and there is a pin on it then you are going to be saying a lot of nasty things because you will no longer have reverse and you will be fishing in the transmission with a magnet trying to retrieve the fork from the bottom.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

halftracknut
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by halftracknut » November 26th, 2017, 10:03 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: that is a bad day....
slowest mutt east of the missippi..

kmam
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread post by kmam » November 27th, 2017, 12:22 am

Yeah I was aware of the need to identify the corrct plug thanks Rick. The nxt job will be the diff oil. Any advice on the best oil to use?

Howard
Howard

Daimler Ferret Mk 1/2
AM General M151A2
Austin Champ

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » November 27th, 2017, 12:58 pm

GL-1 through GL-4 or GL-5 ONLY if it has the MT1 additive. I stay away from GL-5 altogether just to be safe. The original called for 90 weight. That is probably going to be tough to find now since most oils are multi-weight oils. You are in an area that never gets cold if I remember correctly so 85W-90 or even 85W-140 will work. Modern oils are much better than the originals but some people swear that since it calls for straight 90 then it HAS to have it. If you can find it and you feel that way, by all means use it, it will not hurt a thing. You can use any of the above in the differentials so whatever you get you can use it everywhere.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » November 27th, 2017, 1:28 pm

GL 4 is a good way to go. You can definitely run it in a manual transmission with no damage to non ferrous metals and it is still supported by the API. GL1 is no longer supported by the API and they no longer do any testing of any GL1 oils for quality control and compliance. But finding GL4 locally can be a problem. Try Amazon. Coastal Oil is a good companay and makes a good GL4 that is usually, but always available at Carquest. It is now a wholely owned subsidiary of Warren oil.

Amazon has a good price on gallons of GL4 made by CRC. CRC is primarily a specialty company that makes CV joint lube, marine lubricants as well as synthetic glide lubes for slide ways and brake calipers, etc.

Living out here in nowhereville, I'm a big fan of Amazon Prime. No extra shipping for Prime eligible items.

If you aren't a member of Prime, ask your local auto parts store to order some for you.

https://www.amazon.com/Sta-Lube-SL24239 ... PWD62PDPA6

https://www.amazon.com/Sta-Lube-SL24239 ... PWD62PDPA6

Raymond
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

kmam
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread post by kmam » November 27th, 2017, 4:54 pm

Thanks guys. Being in Australia I will have to source my pil locally.

Howard
Howard

Daimler Ferret Mk 1/2
AM General M151A2
Austin Champ

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » November 27th, 2017, 5:57 pm

Found this at local Tractor Supply here in the States based on previous posts here.

Traveller Ford Tractor All Mineral 90 Transmission Fluid, 2 gal. under $20.

TS or similar store down under?
1960 M151 Run #1
"There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove....." - K8icu
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin

njjeeper
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by njjeeper » November 28th, 2017, 11:02 am

I used GL 4 oil in the trans when I first rebuilt the 718. 4 years later on a fluid change it was shimmering with bronze. This happened on an old tractor I had as well. After that, I simply don't trust any of the modern oils. Despite what the labels say about being yellow metal safe, I can prove they are not. At least not in every case. Gl-1 is still easy to get in 5 gallon buckets from Napa and for the kinds of use most collector vehicles see, there is no real gain in using a more modern fluid and hoping you dont make gold fairy dust in your trans. YMMV

TJ

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » November 28th, 2017, 9:53 pm

njjeeper wrote:I used GL 4 oil in the trans when I first rebuilt the 718. 4 years later on a fluid change it was shimmering with bronze. This happened on an old tractor I had as well. After that, I simply don't trust any of the modern oils. Despite what the labels say about being yellow metal safe, I can prove they are not. At least not in every case. Gl-1 is still easy to get in 5 gallon buckets from Napa and for the kinds of use most collector vehicles see, there is no real gain in using a more modern fluid and hoping you dont make gold fairy dust in your trans. YMMV

TJ
If it was shimmering, that is a mechanical problem. The sulfur extreme pressure compounds in gear oil don't shear off particles. This is a chemical reaction and it works microscopically. The additives wear it away by oxidizing it one atom layer at a time. This would darken the oil, and any particles floating should have a dark sheen also.

Raymond
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

kmam
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread post by kmam » December 10th, 2017, 5:54 am

Went to buy the oil today and found Nulon has a 90 grade oil so got that.

Howard
Howard

Daimler Ferret Mk 1/2
AM General M151A2
Austin Champ