Floppy shift leaver stuck in 2nd gear

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Snoopy38744
civilian

Floppy shift leaver stuck in 2nd gear

Unread post by Snoopy38744 » January 3rd, 2018, 7:39 pm

High Guys

John from Queensland Australia here, with a problem that has no doubt been addressed in the past.

However, before I rush in and start pulling things apart, losing bits and pieces and forgetting how to put things back together in the correct sequences etc, could or rather would someone out there be so kind as to give me, a heads up on what my problem might be and where to look in order to overcome the issue at hand.

I would be most gratefull.

Regards
John (snoopy)

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Floppy shift leaver stuck in 2nd gear

Unread post by Hambone » January 3rd, 2018, 8:41 pm

Welcome to the site, Snoopy
You will need to remove the trans cover, unscrew the round shifter retainer, then with a big screwdriver, you will need to realign the shift levers to neutral, they will all be aligned straight across, replace the shifter. Nothing will fly apart in this process. If you have a lot slop in your shifter, you may need to replace the gear shift lever or another hat on the tranny, probably worn out, hope this helps. Hambone

Snoopy38744
civilian

Re: Floppy shift leaver stuck in 2nd gear

Unread post by Snoopy38744 » January 3rd, 2018, 10:50 pm

Sir
Many thanks for the advice. Mutt gut feeling was along the same line, with a focus on a worn gear shift leaver (worn foot). I will let you know how I get on. I have a replacement gear leaver to go in.
Regards
Snoopy