Transmission shift cap stuck... advise?

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

thehandsyplatypus
civilian

Transmission shift cap stuck... advise?

Unread post by thehandsyplatypus » January 15th, 2018, 8:32 pm

First time poster (on any site...ever, so please be patient with me).

About a month ago I pulled a 1961 uncut M151 out of my neighbor's pasture to start rebuilding. Engine is seized; while I followed the steps to remove the powerpack I ran into a stuck shift lever cap. There's no rust visible on the outside, I've soaked it in penetrating oil, but I'm afraid to put heat to it. I'd like some input on if I should heat it or not. Does anyone have other suggestions on how I may be able to free the cap? Am I going about this the wrong way?

Thanks for any tips or advise. I will post pics of the rebuild once I begin to figure out how!

-Matt

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Transmission shift cap stuck... advise?

Unread post by muttguru » January 15th, 2018, 8:46 pm

thehandsyplatypus wrote: Does anyone have other suggestions on how I may be able to free the cap? Am I going about this the wrong way? -Matt
The cap should unscrew anti-clockwise. There is a flange on the bottom edge of the cap. Mine has "flats" at either side of the flange, to facilitate unscrewing. Use a pipe wrench with the jaws covered by thin rubber (from an old innertube or similar). This will help the jaws to grip without damaging the flange. It should come off. If not, use a piece of hardwood as a chisel and tap the wood with a rubber hammer.
Oh...and make sure the gearshift is in neutral too.
Ken
Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

thehandsyplatypus
civilian

Unread post by thehandsyplatypus » January 15th, 2018, 8:52 pm

Thanks Ken. Will cover the pipe wrench with rubber. Thats smart, and I should have thought of it. I have dented the cap with teeth marks from my pipe wrench already. Trans is in neutral. Will try the wrench with rubber tomorrow then move on to trying the hardwood chisel ideal. Thanks for the help!

Matt

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » January 15th, 2018, 9:04 pm

I have seen them on other transmissions so tight that I had to lean on the pipe wrench and yes, there were teeth marks in the flange. It was that or it wasn't coming off. There is a good chance you will find the transmission full of water if it has been sitting for years. big chunk of metal close to the ground, soaks up all kinds of condensation.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

thehandsyplatypus
civilian

Unread post by thehandsyplatypus » January 15th, 2018, 9:12 pm

Ugh... don't tell me that Rick! But I don't doubt that you're right. The clutch also doesn't seem to want to move, but that's another topic for another day. I'm going to give it another night of soaking in penetrating oil then get back to it tomorrow. Will post an update then.

Matt

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Hambone » January 15th, 2018, 9:40 pm

Lightly tap around the bottom edge, this will shock it and help loosen up the threads.

thehandsyplatypus
civilian

Unread post by thehandsyplatypus » January 15th, 2018, 10:28 pm

Tapped around the bottom edge with a mallet and wood then "tapped" on my pipe wrench with a mallet. The cap came off. The bottom edge is gnarled from the pipe wrench teeth, but it's off! Thank you so much for the help!

Matt

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Hambone » January 15th, 2018, 10:39 pm

Don't worry the boot will cover it, make sure to anti-seize it upon replacement, how did it look down in there?

thehandsyplatypus
civilian

Unread post by thehandsyplatypus » January 15th, 2018, 10:45 pm

It's 2 degrees outside where I am right now so I didn't stay in the barn any longer than to just pull the cap off. I'll shine a flashlight down there tomorrow and figure out how to post some pictures! Thank you again for all the help.

Matt

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Hambone » January 15th, 2018, 10:51 pm

thehandsyplatypus wrote:It's 2 degrees outside where I am right now so I didn't stay in the barn any longer than to just pull the cap off. I'll shine a flashlight down there tomorrow and figure out how to post some pictures! Thank you again for all the help.

Matt
I would have stayed in the house :lol: , no need to ice the beer down.