Switching rear suspension in Encore?

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Banshee35
civilian

Switching rear suspension in Encore?

Unread post by Banshee35 » March 7th, 2018, 9:36 am

So I’m looking at buying an Encore 151 but had a question.

It is currently set up with an A1 rear suspension. Is it possible to switch to an A2 setup and how important is the safety change between an A1 and an A2 setup?

I’m wondering if it’s possible, economically feasible and worth the effort?

Forgive my ignorance as this is my first foray into these vehicles and while my friend has a bunch of spare parts to include A2 rear suspensions I didn’t know if it could be done reasonably even if the parts were available?

I figure it shouldn’t be impossible since the Encore could be set up as an A1 or an A2 if I’m not mistaken?

Vehicle will be used mostly for puttering around but probably some minor off-roading and playing around with my 9 and 5 y/o boys.

Thanks

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Switching rear suspension in Encore?

Unread post by Hambone » March 7th, 2018, 10:13 am

Welcome to the site Banshee, post some pics if you get a chance,I would leave it A1 unless you just want the extra work, suspension parts are cheap and how many are you going to wear out?, I like the A1 suspension for off road, A1's are not unsafe, got to be a little more cautious at highway speeds.

Banshee35
civilian

Unread post by Banshee35 » March 7th, 2018, 1:00 pm

Thanks, I have not actually picked it up yet and was supposed to get it Thursday but this weird snow storm may prevent that.

I guess reading about them and the issues with the A1 have scared me.

I will post some pics if I can figure out how to post them.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » March 7th, 2018, 2:14 pm

Encores were supposed to all be built with the A2 suspension. That said I do know of one with A1 suspension. You aren't buying this in NJ are you? Considering the fact that the Encore has a good heavy square tube frame then changing should not be too much problem since the brackets bot work off of the same cross member. That said you have to keep in mind that your measurements will have top be exact to withing a 32nd of an inch or you will have some pretty serious rear end alignment issues. I would personally leave it alone, the A1 rides much softer than an A2. And just try to find rear shocks for an A2, although I am not sure the Encore used the same shocks as the military A2 since the frame is different.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Fil Bonica
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Fil Bonica » March 7th, 2018, 3:52 pm

Vin Zike has an Encore.
He may be able to help with dimensions and shock info.

Hope ths helps

Fil Bonica
K1ABW

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » March 7th, 2018, 7:36 pm

Frankly, I don't think the change (for the purpose of safety) is going to make a real difference chiefly because there is no true comparison. Your aftermarket body is different from that of the original, mostly in terms of its weight. Could the suspension be changed? Of course, and much more easily than could be done with an original tub because of the more robust quality of it's design, not to mention a full frame.

All that said, it sounds as if you have been listening to all the rather juicy horror stories of early M151 series trucks. What often goes unspoken is that the early design (admittedly poor and with much more severe limitations to on-road use than anything that came before it) was suddenly being driven by a bunch of fellows who were used to bombing around post in straight axle jeeps and frankly, those guys simply didn't have any appreciation for the issues presented by four wheel fully independent suspension. Blame the design if you want to but HOW a truck is operated is always a factor.

My suggestion is that you go forward with the suspension as-is and see what you think and only then seriously consider making the change.

My two cents...

Cheers,
TJ

Banshee35
civilian

Unread post by Banshee35 » March 7th, 2018, 7:54 pm

rickf wrote:Encores were supposed to all be built with the A2 suspension. That said I do know of one with A1 suspension. You aren't buying this in NJ are you?
Yes, it a friend of a friends from NJ.

Do you have any more insight into that particular vehicle? You can IM me if you prefer.

Banshee35
civilian

Unread post by Banshee35 » March 7th, 2018, 7:57 pm

Thanks for the responses guys.

I will probably leave it as is and see how she is. It’s probably just the horror stories I have read combined with no first hand experience. :D

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Hambone » March 7th, 2018, 8:03 pm

I'm about to finish a Titan rebuild, it is similar to the Encore.

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » March 11th, 2018, 9:40 am

m3a1 wrote:Frankly, I don't think the change (for the purpose of safety) is going to make a real difference chiefly because there is no true comparison. Your aftermarket body is different from that of the original, mostly in terms of its weight. Could the suspension be changed? Of course, and much more easily than could be done with an original tub because of the more robust quality of it's design, not to mention a full frame.

All that said, it sounds as if you have been listening to all the rather juicy horror stories of early M151 series trucks. What often goes unspoken is that the early design (admittedly poor and with much more severe limitations to on-road use than anything that came before it) was suddenly being driven by a bunch of fellows who were used to bombing around post in straight axle jeeps and frankly, those guys simply didn't have any appreciation for the issues presented by four wheel fully independent suspension. Blame the design if you want to but HOW a truck is operated is always a factor.

My suggestion is that you go forward with the suspension as-is and see what you think and only then seriously consider making the change.

My two cents...

Cheers,
TJ
I agree !!