This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Grasshopper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Electronic Ignition timing

Unread post by Grasshopper » March 12th, 2018, 8:45 am

Hi all,

I've had a look at the TM20 and this forum and am a bit confused (easily done as I'm primarily a diesel engineer!) - can anyone confirm how to set the ignition timing with electronic ignition ie is it the same procedure as in the TM-20 I have which only covers points? I know its not going to help that my motor doesn't appear to have a timing marker on the front... Any tips/tricks or links to relevant threads on G838 appreciated.

I got around to checking and re-setting my float heights recently (unsurprisingly way out, was a NOS carb when installed 10 years ago and the then restorer didn't know to check!) and she delivers power more smoothly through the rev range now I've found the optimum setting for the choke. Plug gaps and valve settings done, so I'd like to be able to check the ignition timing. There seems to be a difference between the NOS distributor that was installed during restoration and the one that was removed, in that the rotor arms pointed in differnt directions! I guess one batch was built 180 degrees out to the other. Anyone else come across this?

Thanks in advance,

Vince

rickf
General
General

Re: Electronic Ignition timing

Unread post by rickf » March 12th, 2018, 11:53 am

The timing is set the same for all engines, a timing light set up on number one plug shining on the timing mark that you do not have. As far as the distributors you have one of two scenarios, either the oil pump was put in wrong, which is the most likely cause if the engine was apart. Or if the engine was not taken apart then the dog on the bottom of the distributor shaft was installed 180 degrees out. I have a bunch of those distributors with the gear installed wrong. You would have to know out the pin, build a jig to hold it in the right position as per the manual, and redrill the gear and shaft together at 90 degrees from the original. You want to check the position of the pump drive before changing the drive on the distributor to make sure it is in the right or wrong position.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Grasshopper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by Grasshopper » March 13th, 2018, 4:52 am

Thanks for confirmation that the method of checking the timing is the same. Fortunately I have access to a cover which has the timing mark, so I'll swap this one on to the motor. The oil pump was definitely not touched as the old distributor was in the right place compared to the NOS one that replaced it.

Fil Bonica
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Fil Bonica » March 13th, 2018, 9:51 am

Just remember that the ntermediate shaf can be installed both ways.

Make sure the distributor is pointing to number one plug.

Fil Bonica
K1ABW