M151 spring startup

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

DHLC
Private First Class
Private First Class

M151 spring startup

Unread post by DHLC » May 8th, 2018, 12:57 pm

Last fall, I vowed I'd get out to the Jeep Garage every couple of weeks all through the winter to start her up and let her run for a few minutes. Well, it's May 8 and the first time I got out there since last fall! How'd that happen? It's these "hahd wintahs" up here in New Hampsha'!

At any rate, I had to tighten a couple fuel line filters that were leaking and top off the radiator coolant but, other than that, she started right up. I let her idle for about 5 minutes and then the engine died. I noticed a little bit of smoke coming out from the head gasket on the top valve cover. Would that be something I should worry about, or could it be just burning off some old oil for sitting there all winter?

I checked the oil and it's spot on the Full line .. so no problems there.

Daron..

acudanut

Re: M151 spring startup

Unread post by acudanut » May 8th, 2018, 1:07 pm

" smoke coming out from the head gasket on the top valve cover". I am a little confused. Head gasket on top of valve cover. ?
I am guessing you just mean valve cover. If so, tighten or replace valve cover gasket.
Did it start back up ?, was the choke still on when it died ? Fuel ?

eflexter
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by eflexter » May 10th, 2018, 11:20 pm

Check spark, check fuel, check obstructions in the tail pipe (mouse nest), check for water in the fuel or just drain and replace. It's rarely a good idea to let an old vehicle sit and idle for lengthy periods. Check for fouled wet plugs. Need some more info to help you.
1967 M151A1

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » May 11th, 2018, 2:20 pm

You need to drain the gas from the carburetor and see if it is gas or alcohol. It is possible that you had phase separation over the winter and now you ran straight alcohol through the system. Not all that bad if you get it out with hours but if left in the fuel pump and carburetor you can kiss them goodbuy. The rubber lines also. And it is not doing the tank any wonders. I would drain the tank and get fresh gas in there and disconnect the line at the carburetor and crank it till I get the fresh gas there and then hook it back up and try starting it. It is either going to work or it is not. If not let us know and we will deal with it at that point.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone