Front turn signal lights M151A2

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Eddie Holland
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Front turn signal lights M151A2

Unread post by Eddie Holland » June 16th, 2018, 10:46 am

I am trying to get all the lights working on my M151A2. I took the lens covers off the front lights. The very top bulb is not working on the passenger side. It is working on drivers side. I swapped the bulbs and both bulbs work on the drivers side? What should i do next? The wiring all looks good. I do have a multimeter but electrical stuff is my weakness. Also having trouble finding in which manual tells which wire number goes to the top bulb. I do know the bottom bulb the blackout light bulb is working on both sides. Have yet to check the center bulb.
Thanks for your help. and its hot out there!!!

Eddie Holland
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Re: Front turn signal lights M151A2

Unread post by Eddie Holland » June 16th, 2018, 11:52 am

the wires are crossed on one side. The center bulb on drivers side flashes with emergency flashers on but the top bulb flashes on the Passenger side. I cant determine which side is correct . Some of the wire tags are missing.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » June 16th, 2018, 4:24 pm

Or, you have a bad ground. Composite lights are mounted with two bolts. Both of those bolts act as ground for the lights but each bolt/ground serves only 1/2 of the lights in the assembly.

You'll find the interior assembly is attached to the ground points with connectors that are deep in behind the assembly and unfortunately, they are down low where water, if allowed to collect in the light, will work on them. Occasionally these connections are the source of a bad ground.

The whole composite light set can be disassembled and cleaned as may be required.

Cheers,
TJ

Eddie Holland
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by Eddie Holland » June 16th, 2018, 4:39 pm

yeah finally figured out it was a bad ground on the bolts on the passenger side. I could switch the wire to the parking light and the turn signal and the top bulb would flash every time and the turn signal bulb, the center bulb would never come on. After got it grounded they both worked correctly. Thanks Eddie

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » June 17th, 2018, 1:44 pm

You're welcome. Glad to hear you're back in business!

Happy Father's Day.

Cheers,
TJ