13660B Well Tube, Any Experts on Carb.. UPDATE 19 JUL FIXED!

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

rstel01
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: 13660B Well Tube, Any Experts on Carb

Unread post by rstel01 » July 20th, 2018, 9:16 am

Horst wrote:
rstel01 wrote:
Horst wrote:time to change the supplier, I agree with Rick, this is the wrong part
Hi, Are you actually in Munchen? Is there a big amount of 151's and parts still there?

I've worked for Knorr-Bremse in the US for almost 20 years now and am frequently over
Yep, that's where I live. I know a few 151s in the area but not a lot. Parts supply has not been an issue so far, but I also sourced from the US.

Part of the old Knorr-Bremse building has been sold to BMW, they now host their classical BMW department there. As a matter of fact, I will be going there tomorrow with my 151, they have a classical car meet every 2nd week or so.
Awesome, what a small world!!!

BTW, the ironic thing is those buildings along Moosacher Strasse were actually the orignal BMW buildings anyway! Knorr bought BMW in the 1920's but, due to the treaty of Versailles they were not able to produce what was BMW's core product in any signficant numbers (radial aircraft engines, which is what BMW's logo actually is). So it was sold back to family shortly thereafter and the facility became Suddeutsche Bremsen which was Knorr's Bavarian arm. Bavaria in the 1920's had very strict "Buy-Bavaria" laws for Rail Vehicles and we needed a "Bavarian" local facility, as we were historically based in Berlin. So in 1945 as Berlin fell, most of KB's facilities fell in the Soviet zone. A handful of Engineers and staff grabbed what they could, escaping the Soviets and relocated to the Bavarian facilities on Moosacher Strasse and reformed. The Soviets stripped what they could and the plants in Berlin actually re-opened under the GDR producing the same equipment as they did at the end of the war until 1989! After reunification, KB recieved all the buildings back, they and our Hasse-Werde plants in Berlin which have been restored/modernized as KB-Berlin and are the worlds center for Disc and other components.

rickf
General
General

Re: 13660B Well Tube, Any Experts on Carb.. UPDATE 19 JUL FI

Unread post by rickf » July 20th, 2018, 11:20 am

It sounds like you work for BMW? Interesting to learn something new about automotive history that I had never heard. So what did BMW do first? Cars or aircraft engines?
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

rstel01
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: 13660B Well Tube, Any Experts on Carb.. UPDATE 19 JUL FI

Unread post by rstel01 » July 20th, 2018, 11:47 am

rickf wrote:It sounds like you work for BMW? Interesting to learn something new about automotive history that I had never heard. So what did BMW do first? Cars or aircraft engines?
No, I work for Knorr-Bremse who is the largest (and best) Railway Supplier in the world. The tie between us and BMW, besides our respective Galatic HQ's being essentially "across the street from each other" in Munich, is Knorr purchased BMW right after WW1. The KB Compound in Munich still has a portion of the original BMW plant in them. KB sold back some of those orignal buildings back to BMW, where BMW now uses them for restorations and things like that. Similar to what Mercedes has been doing.

BMW's start was with Aircraft Engines which is why their logo is actually an aircraft radial engine. The lines in the roundel of there logo is supposed to be represntative of a propeller.

Due to the treaty of Versaiilles after WW1, BMW was essentially insolvent since they couldn't manufacture aircraft engines any longer. They diversified into some farm machinery, and railway which is why Knorr-Bremse purchased them and we set up our facilities in Munich. Somewhere in the mid 1920's Knorr sold the company back to the family that orignally founded BMW but, kept the orignal manufacturing plant.

Those 3 orignal buildings are pretty cool, the largest one (still kept by Knorr) houses our AG executive offices and the Knorr Museum. We shifted most of our Manufacturing out of Munich to other plants but, the engineering Centers stayed in Munich so those orignal buildings were now empty. It's great to see they went back to BMW though since they are historical buildings