Zenith 13660 cleaning idle passage.

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

ian-b
Private First Class
Private First Class

Zenith 13660 cleaning idle passage.

Unread post by ian-b » July 10th, 2018, 5:06 pm

Hi all, I am nearing the end of a two year rebuild on my A2, I have had some really good help here but sadly I need some more, literally a week away from its first road run,(I am awaiting vehicle registration documents so cant drive it on the public highway yet).
Two problems have arisen it has run and started perfectly idled no problem, moved up and down the driveway ok for over 12 months then 3 days ago it will not idle, it will idle with the choke out or if I feather the throttle, but if I push in the choke it stops, due to a previous issue early on with the distributor being 180 degrees out, I have checked,replaced or set the valves, timing, plugs, plug leads, vacuum hoses, and tried a known working ignition coil, also at the time with the initial problems I bought a carb rebuild kit, so this evening I took the carb apart and found the bowl had quite a bit of dark grey very fine sand/powder I cleaned this out with carb cleaner took the accelerator diaphragm out and blew through with an air line but I am unsure which are the idle passage holes and how to blow them out, are they the 3 very small holes up in the top of the carb mouth nearest the manifold?.

One other issue what is the best way to seat the side valve cover cork gasket in place mine has started leaking dripping onto the exhaust which is slightly Smokey to say the least, I have a new one but before I try to fit it I am just looking for some advice from those that have been there before me.

many thanks
ian

ian-b
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Zenith 13660 cleaning idle passage.

Unread post by ian-b » July 10th, 2018, 5:08 pm

I should add that I have removed the in line metal fuel filter this evening and replaced it with a modern plastic one so I can see the fuel coming through.
Ian

Fil Bonica
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Fil Bonica » July 10th, 2018, 5:36 pm

Take off the carb .Remove the idle adjust screw.
Remove the bowl and carefuuky remove the emulsion tube.
Donot misplace the tiny O ring.
Shoot carburator cleaner through the idle passage from the screw side.
Do the same with the emulsion tube and passage,
Make sure the tube is clear.
Some of that gunk from the bowl cab be in there.
Blow out the whole thing with air and reassemble.
Cross your fingers and everything should work.
Have done this several times and it usually works.
Set the valve cover gasket with Permatex 2 and carefully place the cover over themating surface.
Screw down the cover evenly.
Basically the same for the valve cover but make sure the cover fits correctly on the mating surface.
Sometimes the cover will bow out and not seat properly causing lt to drool.
Hope this helps.

Fil Bonica
K1ABW

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » July 10th, 2018, 6:56 pm

Fil, the emulsion tube is the one that is pressed into the main body of the carb. I think you are talking about the small idle jet that will fall out of the bowl when you invert the bowl. Basically do what Fil said and yes, the holes you mentioned are the idle mixture holes. I think a lot of the problem is you mention it has been fine going up and down the driveway for 12 months. I will bet it has had the same gas in for those 12 months. That powder could be corrosion from the alcohol in the gas acting on the tank, lines and other components due to phase separation from sitting. Gas should not sit for more than a couple months at the most anymore. And stabilizer will only prevent the gasoline part of it from breaking down. It will do nothing to prevent phase separation of the alcohol in the gas. My advice would be to get all of that old gas out of there and use small amounts of fresh gas until you are ready to start driving it on the road.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone