M151A2 Brakes locking

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Fil Bonica
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: M151A2 Brakes locking

Unread post by Fil Bonica » August 2nd, 2018, 4:30 pm

There was a fellow at the Weare show kast week selling govt package Dot 5.
Had heart failure when isaw the prices.
Found a gallon recently for very short money.
That gallon and what’s in my bleeder will keep me going for the duration!

Fil Bonica
K1ABW

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » August 2nd, 2018, 5:59 pm

That's why I don't get exited about the shows anymore. They used to be the place to go to get a good price.Now it is just a place to go for curiosity sake, for the most part the prices are much higher than online.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Fil Bonica
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Fil Bonica » August 2nd, 2018, 6:14 pm

The shows are still a blast for me
You get a chance to see people face to face there that you might never meet
If that happened between the two of us I might have enjoyed !!!!!
Forget about the bargains!

Fil Bonica
K1ABW

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » August 2nd, 2018, 7:21 pm

Remember this crowd?

1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

Mark
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Mark » August 2nd, 2018, 8:55 pm

Good picture of you all
mark

1968 m274A5
1960 m151
1981 m151A2
1964 m416
1971 m416

Eddie Holland
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by Eddie Holland » August 2nd, 2018, 10:18 pm

well Im gonna get to replace at least one metal brake line now. I have even had the cutting torch out heating the fittings. The main line running from left front to right front is the only one destroyed so far. I think I will rent a flaring tool and make the lines myself. I dont think the rears are gonna be to hard to get off. Got rear left off pretty easy. But I think that front left is gonna be a pain also. :(

Eddie Holland
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by Eddie Holland » August 2nd, 2018, 11:01 pm

this brake line looks interesting to me. Says you can bend it by hand. Check out the video on it. Any comments?

https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-tra ... 602041_0_0

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » August 3rd, 2018, 11:32 am

You will find that buying the correct parts for your truck will pay big dividends in the future....not only from the standpoint of it's value to you but also, to potential buyers for your truck in the future. It will also pay big dividends from the standpoint of having to troubleshoot any problems that might crop up along the way because with correct parts and correct installations, you KNOW where to look when it's time to fix things.

By way of example, I had to choose between buying a set of pre-bent brake lines for my M38 or just buying the straight lines off the shelf and bending my own (something that I am fully capable of doing.) In the final analysis, buying the pre-made kit cost just a little bit more but the extra time involved and the long term value of having the right stuff on the truck made spending the extra money worth it.

This is just something you might want to give some thought to.

You may have noticed by now that the M151 series of trucks has a very specific design. There is nothing on these trucks that doesn't fill a very specific need so, when you are considering going "off the reservation" and making changes to things, make sure it's a change made for a measurable improvement, rather than only for the purpose of saving a dollar or two.

As a potential buyer, when I see a truck with an indication that the seller has been doing things strictly on the cheap in one place, I know he's likely been cutting corners elsewhere as well.

Expense is always an issue, whether you are well to do, or doing things on a budget. Making a budget for your vehicle has to be based upon realistic goals and expectations and those things should be weighed honestly against the value and more importantly, the safety of your vehicle, rather than how quickly and cheaply you can get it running and driving.

All that said, your truck is your truck. Do with it what you will, but, owners of former military vehicles have an obligation to one another to put safety first. We are in a hobby where the public looks at us suspiciously. So, if you put a former military vehicle on the road that is sketchy and then, if you ball it up maybe someone gets hurt. At that point, someone with an agenda against ownership of former military vehicles will be saying, "See? I told you so!" That sort of thing hurts us all.

Just something to think about.

Cheers,
TJ
Last edited by m3a1 on August 3rd, 2018, 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » August 3rd, 2018, 12:01 pm

I keep a couple coils of that line in different sizes in the shop for emergency repairs and for when nothing else is available. The problem you will run into with the mutt is the very tight radius bends at the ends of a couple of the lines. The lines are available prebent and in this case it is going to be easier to use premade lines. You can bent the softer line into these tight radius's but the chances of kinking are good. If you are going to try it be sure to put the fitting on first and flare it before bending, you will never get the flaring tool on after bending.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

Eddie Holland
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by Eddie Holland » August 3rd, 2018, 12:52 pm

wasn't trying to cut any corners, after looking at this product I thought it looked better than the original lines.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » August 3rd, 2018, 4:06 pm

Eddie, The product may very well be "better" but these trucks get along very nicely with their current design and granted, there are limitations to the design (such as a single reservoir master cylinder and all the other things that don't make these trucks the equivalent of anything remotely modern) but they have been tested extensively and they work very well, just as designed.

A tested design really is the only thing that we have to hang our hats on when someone calls into question the wisdom of allowing our former military vehicles to continue to share the road with the public. Brakes, being one of those things highly critical to safety, are not something to be taken lightly and no matter how much better some aftermarket kit is, even if it's truly better, you'll never be able to prove it to any degree.

I'm not a purist. I admit, there is much that can be improved upon in military designs but from the standpoint of modifications of this type, you're really going to have your tail hanging out there unless you have the credentials for it.

Please don't think I'm hammering on you personally. I am speaking in very general terms that apply to all of us. I'm sure you are aware of recent the DUKW story in the news. Much is being called into question not only in terms of the operation of those amphibious trucks, but modifications to their design as well. This really is precisely what I'm talking about. One of the stories mentioned the addition of the roof (and it's design) was made by persons who had no credentials to do it (much like that goof who was designing water slides for Schlitterbahn and then using patrons as crash test dummies to see if he got it right....which he didn't) Honestly, I'm not sure DUKW Roof Credentials even exist, but when the masses are coming at us with torches and pitchforks, and are demanding that we get off and stay off their roads, it hardly matters, does it?

Anyway, I'll get off my little soapbox now. Again, this was in no way meant to say that you are not capable, or that you are not making intelligent decisions. Nowadays, the capable and intelligent among us are still finding themselves at the wrong end of things. Such is the world we live in today.

Cheers,
TJ

Eddie Holland
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by Eddie Holland » September 18th, 2018, 9:35 pm

ok Finally back...
ended up have to change all 4 wheel cylinders, they were froze and 4 rubber brake lines all stopped up, All the metal brake lines attached to hoses got destroyed trying to remove so they were replaced also.
Got the brakes tighten till i could turn the wheel then backed eah off 11 turns.
Started bleeding from the rear right. then rear left then the 2 front wheels. Each time my son would have to pull the pedal back to the very top. It would lake few inches coming back up. But the brakes were working great. I didn't noticed any pulling.
Do I need to bleed some more?
Bad master cylinder?
weak springs on the brakes?
One thing I think I was doing wrong. I was opening the bleed valve then telling my son to push the pedal. then I would tighten and then have him release. I bet I should have had him push the pedal then open the valve?? Maybe I still have some air.

Thanks for the advice. I cut, bent and flarred the brake lines myself . Was a piece of cake.

Jerome
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by Jerome » September 20th, 2018, 8:23 am

Yes, you should open the bleeding valve AFTER starting to press the pedal. But if your issue is that the brake pedal does not get back up, this is not the full reason.

Are you sure your brake pedal spring is not missing nor broken?
---------------------------------------
1963 Willys M151
1955 M38A1
1956 Hotchkiss M201

Mark
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Mark » September 20th, 2018, 10:15 am

Seems to me if the pedal isn't returning to the proper position, the master cylinder isn't working right.I think using a vacuum pump is the better way of bleeding the brakes, the old way of pumping the brake pedal to bleed the air out isn't recommended anymore I think, but I guess it depends on your resources.
mark

1968 m274A5
1960 m151
1981 m151A2
1964 m416
1971 m416

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » September 20th, 2018, 11:22 am

The master cylinder will return the pedal to the top of the cylinder stroke but there is a spring that returns the pedal to the stop under the dash. You are probably missing the spring. If the brakes feel solid then your bleeding was successful, leave that part alone and replace the spring.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed