This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

incoming
Sergeant
Sergeant

rear differential

Unread post by incoming » August 27th, 2018, 9:31 pm

Good evening gentlemen,
Wanted to update you on the MUTT I pulled the engine on to fix the clutch. Turns out one of the springs in the clutch plate broke and lodged between the flywheel and the clutch plate. Pulled the power pack and replaced all the parts, and put in a new transfer case output seal. Also put in a new fork and plunger for the four wheel drive. The good news is that the four wheel drive works great and the clutch shifts like new. It was my first powerpack removal and went well. That was several months ago.

BUT, today I happened to look under the rear of the jeep today and saw that the cardboard I keep there was soaked. Appears that the seal on the driveshaft going into the rear differential gave way. So, I purchased a new differential seal kit. I'm going to remove the differential to replace the seals. Will also check the vent on the axle to make sure it is not clogged. Here comes the question.....the new parts kit comes with three big flange-like seals, another smaller seal and four shiny metal sleeves. I think they call these wear sleeves. Can anyone with any experience tell me what is required to take out and install the new kit? Thank you for your time and effort! You guys are always such a big help.

Horst
Colonel
Colonel

Re: rear differential

Unread post by Horst » August 28th, 2018, 1:43 am

Horst

1972 USMC M151A2 w/ROPS (ex Barstow) and M416
1962 M201 and trailer
1966 GTO,1982 E350 Skoolie, 1987 SJ413, 1987 911
Gone: 2xM35A2c, Unimog 404S, Hanomag AL28, DKW Munga

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » August 28th, 2018, 9:25 am

Wow, I did not even know that article was put in the Wiki. I really need to look around in there. Everything you need to know is in that article but all you are doing is the seals. Same as any other seals but these seals are on steroids! They are exceptionally deep seals as you can see from the new ones so getting them out takes some patience. I usually take a punch and start close to an edge and punch in towards the center and fold the seal in away from the housing. This will loosen it up and you can pull it out. Regular seal pullers will just rip out the outer edge and not move the seal. The wear sleeves go on the yokes and I put them on in a vice so it is nice and slow and controlled and I can see and feel what is happening. I have destroyed more then one by hammering them on. They have to start, and stay perfectly straight the whole time they are going on.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

incoming
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by incoming » August 28th, 2018, 10:35 pm

Thank you VERY much!! Just the information I need. Once again, you guys rule!