Early Brake Lines

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Surveyor
Terminal

Early Brake Lines

Unread post by Surveyor » February 24th, 2019, 11:56 pm

Could not locate a vendor who sales replacement early brake lines so I went with AJP's a1 set. So far the front left and right from tee to hose worked. From front tee to middle tee worked. From middle tee to rear tee look's like it will work but waiting on a replacement rear tee. Have yet to try the two rear to WC's or from MC to tee. Will update when I do.

Now what won't fit from an a1 set - Front pieces from hose to WC's... new versus old.

1960 M151 Run #1
"There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove....." - K8icu
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin

acudanut

Re: Early Brake Lines

Unread post by acudanut » February 26th, 2019, 2:24 pm

Surveyor wrote:Could not locate a vendor who sales replacement early brake lines so I went with AJP's a1 set. So far the front left and right from tee to hose worked. From front tee to middle tee worked. From middle tee to rear tee look's like it will work but waiting on a replacement rear tee. Have yet to try the two rear to WC's or from MC to tee. Will update when I do.

Now what won't fit from an a1 set - Front pieces from hose to WC's... new versus old.

You might have to make your own brake lines in some places.. You will need a double flare brake kit. It's easier than you think. Cheers

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » March 1st, 2019, 10:13 pm

Update - all steel lines from the a1 kit work with little fuss except for those front two small ones. Tried making my own from the ones sent but was lead astray. Was shown how to make a single flare. Read after that it should be double flared. :shock: Will try again later this weekend.
1960 M151 Run #1
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin

kmam
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread post by kmam » March 1st, 2019, 11:11 pm

I lost mine (but found them way after the event) so had new ones made by a local brake place. Not dear and definitely worked.
Howard

Daimler Ferret Mk 1/2
AM General M151A2
Austin Champ

Barlow L
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by Barlow L » March 1st, 2019, 11:19 pm

Does the AJP lines have the covering on them?

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » March 2nd, 2019, 8:41 am

They have the covering that most don't particularly care for. It looks like the same cloth covering but has a black tar like feel over the top of it. Old ones i removed did not as far as i can tell. Also, the two rear pieces do not have rock guard springs on them like the ones i pulled off.
1960 M151 Run #1

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » March 2nd, 2019, 10:30 am

I replaced all the brake lines on my truck about 12 years ago. I bought lengths of metal line and nuts and cut, bent, and flared them myself. Not a hard job at all. Not even the tight radiuses on the "S" lines at the front wheels.

As for the cloth loom, the areas on my old lines where it was still intact were in the worst shape. The cloth loom held moisture and dirt against the metal brake lines. So, unless absolute correctness is desired, I would not use the cloth loom on your new brake lines.

Also be very careful with the "T"s. The metal mounting tab breaks off easily.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » March 2nd, 2019, 1:58 pm

Raymond, Did you use Steel line or copper/nickel line? The copper/nickel will bend much easier by hand and that way you can flare it before bending, which you will have to do since the flaring tool will not fit in the short radius. I can't see how you could do that with stainless line? Flaring stainless line takes special care also, and high quality flaring tools. You are not going to get a good double flare on stainless line with harbor freight tools! I know someone here said the made those tight bends on stainless by hand but I am pretty sure I couldn't do it even back before I lost all the strength in my hands. And I had very strong hands.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » March 2nd, 2019, 9:49 pm

Or just bring your old one to a older mechanic who knows how to make "stuff" and do it that way.... Kids working at your local tire and brake store are worthless these days. Cheers

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » March 3rd, 2019, 7:16 pm

I did flare the lines first, then bent them. If creative you can make the bend without kinking the line. A vice and pieces of pipe to bend around work wonders. Also helpful for tight bends is a couple of short piece of pipe with one end flared the brake line will slip inside. And I'm pretty sure I used standard brake line. Don't think it was stainless steel. At least it didn't look like stainless. Got me thinking so I went up to the shed and took some pictures. The first is from the front of the drivers side, the second from the rear of the passenger side.

The cutting tool and flaring tool I used are both old Rigid brand that I'm sure are at least 50+ year old.
And that is a couple of pieces of the brake line I used when fabricating them. Perhaps you can tell what it's metallic content is.

Sorry this picture is upside down, not sure how to rotate it at postimage. Didn't feel like re-downloading it either.

Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

kmam
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread post by kmam » March 3rd, 2019, 7:40 pm

How did you do a double flair with that kit? I thought you needed a special flaring tool to do that?
Howard

Daimler Ferret Mk 1/2
AM General M151A2
Austin Champ

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » March 3rd, 2019, 7:44 pm

That is standard steel brake line and I agree with Howard that you do not have all the parts to do double flares shown in the picture. If you used just that then you have single flares.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » March 3rd, 2019, 7:48 pm

kmam wrote:How did you do a double flair with that kit? I thought you needed a special flaring tool to do that?
Rest of the stuff is loose in my plumbing tool box. There are some little round sort of cup things with a cone shaped center in the cup, that I don't know the technical term for. Kit probably had a carrying case at one time. It was my dad's and I first learned to do brake lines back in 1982 when he and I restored a 1965 Ford Mustang when I was a junior in high school. Had not been used from '82 until '06.
Raymond

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » March 3rd, 2019, 7:50 pm

Yup, That's the rest of the kit. :mrgreen:
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » March 3rd, 2019, 7:55 pm

rickf wrote:Yup, That's the rest of the kit. :mrgreen:
Didn't feel like rounding them all up for the picture.

Just looked it up, the little cup sort of thing is called a "die" :oops:
Raymond