A2 doesn't run right when you let out clutch

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

agwrangler
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

A2 doesn't run right when you let out clutch

Unread post by agwrangler » May 9th, 2019, 1:38 pm

One of my A2's runs great most of the time. But there is something that has been bothering me that I can't figure out. Doesn't matter if its hot, cold, etc. I will start it, put it in gear, then when you let off the clutch, it kind of sounds bogged down, or like it has some sort of fuel issue, but the second that you pump the clutch again (about 3/4 of the way in) and let it out quickly, it just takes off like a raped ape, not a care in the world. When you go to second gear, same thing. Its like you almost have to double clutch it to get it to run great. Then every now and then, it shifts fine. I cant figure out if its a fuel issue or not, but that dang sure sounds fuel-y to me. I have adjusted the rich/lean screw on the carb and all that does is baseball bat and balls with the idle, etc, it doesnt fix the problem with this, no matter how lean or rich i put it. If I barely pull the choke out a hair and run that way, it still give me the issue some. I am out of idears. Running clean avgas, have new fuel filter, etc. Once it gets past the issue (once i clutch it again) it runs flawless, i can run full speed, or cruise the pasture slow and its fine.
And idears?

rickf
General
General

Re: A2 doesn't run right when you let out clutch

Unread post by rickf » May 9th, 2019, 5:59 pm

If you are cruising in gear and stomp on the gas does it go or just bog and try to stall? If it bogs then your accelerator pump is bad, very common problem on these.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

agwrangler
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by agwrangler » May 10th, 2019, 8:05 am

Once you have gotten going (after double clutching, or whatever) then it rolls like hell. You can gun it, and its fine. Its ONLY the first time you come off the clutch after being in a new gear.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » May 10th, 2019, 8:34 am

I would say you are going to have to get it up on stands and run it with the wheels in the air and see if it does the same thing there. I have never heard of a transmission binding only at first shot. You are in 2 wheel drive aren't you? If nothing turns up there and you really suspect it is in the transmission then you will need to drain the trans and see if there is any metal in the oil.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone