Tail lights

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

mutt and jeff
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Tail lights

Unread post by mutt and jeff » September 9th, 2020, 4:45 pm

My A1 was acquired with the 24v combat tail lights, two slits on one side and one slit and cat's eye on the other. I found these two lights on the parts shelf and have read about Gamma Goat tail lights being more visable and both are brakes and turn signal lights and still 24v. So I put these in the holes and may go with them. I'll have to run a third wire to one bucket as the originals only had two wires to one side.
While researching the yellow parts stencil on the parts shelf tail light, it looks like the buckets are M151 and Bubba before me installed the Gamma Goat solid red lens.

As this MUTT might be driven on civilian roads more than my other vehicles due to horsepower and comfort, I'm leaning towards putting in the Gamma Goat lens. It's two bolts and three wires, so I can always go back to the correct face plates for a display show if necessary.

Anyone running non standard lights on their MUTT?
gamma goat 1.JPG
gamma goat 2.JPG
gamma goat 3.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rickf
General
General

Re: Tail lights

Unread post by rickf » September 9th, 2020, 5:41 pm

The Gamma-Goat used the same tail lights as all the other M series vehicles. They just used the solid red lenses. I am assuming yours is a straight 151 and therefor only had the one brake light and one blackout light? If that is the case you will need to modify the whole rear harness since you will not have any brake light or turn signal for the right side. If that is yours in the picture then you have an A1 and you should have already had the correct lights and all you should have needed to do was change the lenses. Your blackout brake light goes in the empty hole above the right tail light. Ans yes, I run the gamma goat lenses in mine. Along with the truck LED headlights. Not correct but I can see and almost be seen.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

mutt and jeff
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by mutt and jeff » September 9th, 2020, 6:36 pm

Yes, that's mine in the third photo where I test fitted the Gamma Goat tail lights. And, yes, I can put these lenses on the original military tail lights without having to do any wiring changes. The military blackout brake light has already been removed for restoration. My first military vehicle with turn signals, so I didn't know what blinked in the rear with the original set up. So if I just change the lenses, I'll still only have one brake light? Or is the third bulb in the three bulb light bucket the convoy light? I haven't delved into the electrical yet. Some lights worked and some didn't but it could be just bulbs or grounds.

I'll look at my wiring diagram.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » September 9th, 2020, 8:50 pm

You have always had two brake lights, only the early straight 151 had only one service brake light. The turn signal and brake light use the same bulb and you have a second bulb for the tail lights then you have the separate bulbs for the blackout lights. That third tail light you removed is a blackout brake light only.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » September 9th, 2020, 9:50 pm

Oh SURE....all you guys are completely okay with using up all the Gama Goat parts for your M151s. Then you complain that parts for your M151s are in short supply.

I see how you are!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Redlight
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by Redlight » September 10th, 2020, 7:20 am

I am a firm believer on being seen in my Mutt, both in the display area and on the highway. When I travel on the highway I have at least one yellow strobe light on a rear antenna mount flashing away. I also have replaced my tail light lens with the Gama Goat lens on both my Mutt and my 416 trailer. The service even replaced the whole light assembly with "NATO" lights for travel in Europe. They made and I have a set to be installed of adapters to retrofit the lights to the early Mutt's.
I do not think we are using up the Goat's supply of lens as the price for pairs have gone down in recent years. But then again the number of Goats has also be reduced. At least in New England, the biggest Goat has move south and is starting with a new team. ( Tom Brady former N.E. Patriot if you do not get the joke).

Mutt Hunter
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by Mutt Hunter » September 10th, 2020, 11:35 am

I'm with RedLight on the "being seen" thing. I did exactly the same thing. I picked up a 24V strobe a few months back. I know its not "stock", but it looks like the ones I've seen the MPs use on their HMMWVs on the MSRs in Iraq and Afghanistan and its safe with all the crazy drivers here in Tampa. Anybody putting a MUTT on one of Tampa's interstates is an idiot in the first place, so i'll never do that, but even the "secondary roads" are like the Indy 500 in a few places. Who wants to get run over on the way home from the VFW while sitting atop their gas tank? Not me...

As a long-suffering Bucs fan, i liked the GOAT reference--i hope we can do something meaningful with him in charge in the few years he has left.

United States Army - 1986-2012
35th Sig Bde (Airborne)
82nd Airborne Division Artillery
B Co, Joint Communications Support Element (Airborne)
1st Infantry Division
US Special Ops Command
Commander, 3rd Joint Communications Squadron (Airborne)
US Central Command

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » September 10th, 2020, 11:50 am

Yeah, I've toyed with the idea of the strobe but frankly, I just never could bring myself to do all the wiring. But the idea of having a battery operated light...well, that wouldn't be too hard at all, would it? Swapping out batteries from time to time is far easier than fiddling with all the wiring.

Cheers,
TJ

Mutt Hunter
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by Mutt Hunter » September 10th, 2020, 12:31 pm

I wired mine up directly to the battery and have a switch on my dash. My jeep had a couple things installed on the dash that were no longer there--I'm assuming lights of some sort--and i just used those old holes in the dash for the installation. I changed out the SPST switch and wired the strobe directly to the battery...that way if i break down someplace I've still got a marker light in the back keeping me visible. Very simple install, really...hardest part was snaking the wiring behind the dash and heater. I used the best tool I've bought in years for that task--the $10 wire snake i got from home depot. The wire from battery box to strobe is in a small plastic conduit that i'm using for my radio power as well, and because its routed with the radio power and later the antenna cable, its invisible to all but the most trained observers.

United States Army - 1986-2012
35th Sig Bde (Airborne)
82nd Airborne Division Artillery
B Co, Joint Communications Support Element (Airborne)
1st Infantry Division
US Special Ops Command
Commander, 3rd Joint Communications Squadron (Airborne)
US Central Command

Horst
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Horst » September 11th, 2020, 4:42 pm

I did the same thing, strobe light when driving on bigger roads or the Autobahn. Illegal over here but better than run over.
IMG_6004.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Horst

1972 USMC M151A2 w/ROPS (ex Barstow) and M416
1962 M201 and trailer
1966 GTO,1982 E350 Skoolie, 1987 SJ413, 1987 911
Gone: 2xM35A2c, Unimog 404S, Hanomag AL28, DKW Munga