GAA MIL-B-10924 in civil life

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

richard
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

GAA MIL-B-10924 in civil life

Unread post by richard » January 22nd, 2021, 7:45 pm

I am looking for GAA MIL-B-10924 in civil life, something I can use without destroying my needles, bearings, yokes and joints. I can find grease at every automotive shop, but what is the correct one. When I ask the guys behind the counter about MIL-B-10924 I am getting nothing.

So, what is compatible and what is "stay away"?

The latest offer I got was grease based on lithium. It is water-resistant and withstands salt water, is partly synthetic and the soap base is Li-12-hydroxystereate.

It is based on the certification of the German industrial norm DIN 51502 (KP2N-30).

Here are some information:

High performance grease used in a wide range of applications in motor vehicles. Specifically recommended for fast spinning bearings with high load such as wheel bearings. Provides excellent wear protection and high-pressure absorbance capacity.

What are your recommendations? Or what do you use?

Thanks and best regards,
Richard
European Distributor for CMD Body Panels: http://www.M151BodyPanels.eu

1978 M151-A2
1978 M416-A1
1972 M561
1964 M35-A2 w/winch & shelter

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Re: GAA MIL-B-10924 in civil life

Unread post by muttguru » January 23rd, 2021, 9:48 am

Richard.....
there is a report on the use of GAA MIl-B-10924 when the Mil began to look for an improved grease.
The conclusion of the report is shown below:-

One of our members here works for an lubricant/fuel corporation and he is the go-to man for answers..... he can probably advise whether the Mil decided to go with the conclusion recommendations.... ie the synthetic hydrocarbons (PAO) lubricant.

Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » January 24th, 2021, 12:28 am

I was at one of Shell Oil Company's lubricant schools back in the late 80's and one of the engineers reported that he had never seen an equipment failure due to using the wrong grease. All his failures he had seen were due to not using any or enough grease.

The only exception to this, and these exceptions he could count on one hand, had to do with aviation/aeropspace applications whereby the base oil in the grease reacted adversely with specialized rubber seals that were designed to work over a temperature range of hundreds of degrees. In this case, conventional greases deteriorated the specialized rubber in the seals causing premature failure. The grease did not cause a lubrication failure. It cause a failure of the seals that contain the grease.

Keep your machine greased at least as often as the lube orders recommend with a brand name #2 multi purpose grease (there is nothing on the M151 that requires a high pressure grease although that will not hurt) and you will have exactly zero problems due to using the wrong grease.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

richard
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Unread post by richard » January 28th, 2021, 6:45 pm

Hello Raymond,

These are the manufacturer's specs I additionally got:

Adhesive long-term fluid grease with EP additives

The product is a high-quality, long-term grease with EP additives, based on a lithium soap with partly synthetic base oil, light brown, of smooth consistency, NLGI Class 2.
The product is a long-term grease with cost-reducing lubrication intervals for sliding and rolling bearings as well as sliding guides in vehicles, construction machines, crushing and sifting plants, calenders, rollers, presses and heavy machinery. It is particularly suitable for rarely relubricated bearings and hardly accessible lubrication points, even under rough operating conditions.

The product optimizes cost-efficiency by increasing operational reliability while reducing maintenance costs. Its excellent stability allows the operator to extend the lubrication intervals after checking the conditions. Thanks to its wide range of special features, it can be used in several applications for which commonly available multi-purpose greases are not suitable.

A special selection of additives makes the product absolutely water resistant, even in case of boiling salt water.

The full long-term effect of the product sets in as soon as no other lubricating greases are available in the bearing; when for operational reasons the lubrication points can no longer be washed out, after several lubrications the product becomes fully effective.

Instructions for use:
For closed bearings, only fill up to one third
Before filling, bearings must be cleaned
Used greases should be completely removed from bearings

1978 M151-A2
1978 M416-A1
1972 M561

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » January 28th, 2021, 7:26 pm

It might make sense to the military, so they can use it in a wide variety of applications, including some very specialized equipment. For the average vehicle owner, #2 multipurpose grease is perfectly fine.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » January 28th, 2021, 8:02 pm

Talking from a lifetime mechanics view I can say that a NLGI #2 grease will do just about anything you need short of dunking it in the ocean on a regular basis. And if you are doing that then the body will fall off before the bearings go anyway. :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
NLGI #2 is used in all automotive applications plus all heavy equipment grease fittings and track rollers. It is also speced on most wheel bearings where grease is used, some wheel bearings have gone to liquid lubrication. The only places you would not use it is arctic applications and salt water immersion. Boat wheel bearings tend to use a lithium grease mainly because it does not mix with the water, But I have lost my share of trailer bearings to water even then.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

richard
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Unread post by richard » January 29th, 2021, 2:48 pm

Hello Folks,

Thank you very much for your comments, I will buy now the NLGI Class 2 grease. Rick, I hope the body will not fall off :mrgreen:

BR, Richard

1978 M151-A2
1978 M416-A1
1972 M561