This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

rupert's
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

exhaust manifold gaskets

Unread post by rupert's » February 22nd, 2021, 7:31 pm

Hello to all colleagues!
today I bring a question about the gaskets of the exhaust manifold.
My engine is an A1, when I disassembled it there were no gaskets in the exhaust manifold, and the smoke came out when the engine stopped.

I disassembled the exhaust manifold and later when I mounted it, I did not have the exhaust manifold gaskets and instead I applied this product: Loctite 37466 RTV 5920 Copper Silicone. It is supposed to be suitable for exhaust manifolds, but I don't trust it, I have the feeling that when I start using the car it will start to smoke ...
I have been searching the forum and it seems that some engines did not have gaskets, they had a paste or oil I have read. Have I understood correctly?

That said ... I have doubts

1 ... Should I put together?
2 ... I've seen copper gaskets ... What do you think of these gaskets? better than the originals?
Greetings to all

rickf
General
General

Re: exhaust manifold gaskets

Unread post by rickf » February 22nd, 2021, 8:38 pm

The A1 and early straight 151 used a very close fitting exhaust manifold and they did not use a gasket, they only used a moly grease as a gasket. Hi temp silicone will work just fine. If you have a later A2 head and the manifold fits in the groove loosely then you will need a gasket kit. The problem lies in when people use the gaskets on the early head. What happens then is that the exhaust gasket holds the intake manifold away from the sealing surface for the intake ports and you end up with massive vacuum leaks. A lot of people will double up on the intake gaskets and use a thin layer of gasket sealer like Permatex #3 aviation sealer. I swear by that sealer for all paper gaskets and rubber hoses where they meet metal fittings. And I would not use the copper gaskets, I have a set of them and they are simply too hard and will never seal. I guess if you anneal them fully so they are dead soft they might seal but remember what I have said in the past about the torque specs on the manifold bolts, It is a lot less than you think it would be and too tight will ruin the exhaust manifold.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

rupert's
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Re: exhaust manifold gaskets

Unread post by rupert's » February 23rd, 2021, 10:10 am

Understood Rikf, then no copper gaskets, I'm going to leave it as it is because the sealant that I have given it withstands more temperature than molybdenum grease. As always .... Thanks Rikf