Replacing Floor Boards?

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Cobra5
Colonel
Colonel

Replacing Floor Boards?

Unread post by Cobra5 » January 5th, 2008, 10:16 pm

I found a M151 and the owner says the floorboards are rusted through but the subframe is good. How hard is it to replace the floor pans? I should be getting pictures in the near future and will post. I'm thinking about buying it depending on price and condition.

k8icu
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by k8icu » January 5th, 2008, 10:57 pm

Do you have a mig welder and a torch or cutt off wheel? If you have both then replacing the floors is not that difficult. I believe there are replacement floors available so you don't have to fabricate your own.
There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove.....

Cobra5
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Cobra5 » January 5th, 2008, 11:48 pm

Thanks! I have access to all tools mentioned. I've seen floor pans advertised at TNJ Murray. Just wondering how much of a pain in the :wink: it is?

njjeeper
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by njjeeper » January 7th, 2008, 10:55 am

Well, it can be a real pain depending on how bad it is. If its just the toe area, its pretty simple. If its eaten back to the front seat support or sideways into either verticle its more difficult. Also, odds are good if the floor is rusted out, the "subframe" isnt ok. Get some pics before you buy! Post them here if you arent sure. Most of the guy here can spot a tough problem real fast.

Bill, Idaho
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by Bill, Idaho » January 13th, 2008, 5:34 pm

I replaced the front passenger side floorboard on my friends A2 with some aftermarket replacement panel. I have a ga-zillion tools, so that wasn't an issue. You can take your time and do a really good job and probably make it darn-near impossible to tell anything was replaced, or you can hurry through it and have an ok job. With any sheet metal fitting job, the smaller the gap, the better the welding, and the less warpage.
The panel I had to work with fit good, and made my installation easy, relatively speaking. I cannot speak for other brands of panels. And no, I don't know what brand it was.

imfmotorpool
civilian

Unread post by imfmotorpool » February 6th, 2008, 4:02 pm

here are some pics of my most recent floorboard job http://www.imfmotorpool.com/currentrest ... gress.html
just to give you an idea. Have fun!
Frank
(2) 1978 M151A2's (1) 1973 M151A2 (1) 1963 M37B1 (1) 1968 M715