M151A2 clutch problem

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

m151dave
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

M151A2 clutch problem

Unread post by m151dave » January 16th, 2008, 3:35 pm

About 800 miles back I put a new clutch into my Mutt. I used the puck type clutch disk.
I also replaced the bearing and bolts, all the stuff that comes with the clutch kit.

Adjusted to the specs in the manual.

The problem is that the vehicle runs fine in all gears for about the first 10-20 miles. After that, it shifts just fine in 1st and 2nd, but you feel slipping in 3rd and 4th.

I have checked the adjustment to be sure it has not slipped, and played with adjusting it up and down to see if that made a difference. It doesn't. Now I did not resurface the flywheel, which some old timer here at work told me I should have done.

Does anybody have any thoughts as to what the problem might be? I do not see how I could have cooked the clutch so quickly, especially with nothing but surface street and parade use accounting for the miles I have clocked since the repair. Oh, Iand I also replaced the rear seal about 500 miles ago. Oil is not dripping out of that area any longer, which rules out oil slinging onto the flywheel.

Thoughts have ranged from a throwout bearing sticking when it gets warmed up, to I just flat out do not know how to change a clutch.

Positive feedback would be most welcome!
Owner - M151A2
Member - MVPA

Founder - The Last Patrol, Vietnam Living History Group
www.lastpatrol.org

baios
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread post by baios » January 17th, 2008, 10:36 am

if it is sliping then the best way to fix it and not take the engine out is to go under of the mutt and take out the cover that is located under the clutch!! there u will see some bolts and u must tight them the same way!!!
No more sliping then!!!But u must know how to adjust them!!!
DO NOT GIVE UP!!!
m51A2 Ford 1971
E-Mail vzisimos@yahoo.gr