Paint Manufacturers

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Cobra5
Colonel
Colonel

Paint Manufacturers

Unread post by Cobra5 » February 14th, 2008, 10:19 pm

Okay guys I'm getting close to painting and I'd like to get your opinions on what paint manufacturer to use. I'm going to go the camo route and finish with a matt clear coat.

Floyd
Captain
Captain

Unread post by Floyd » February 15th, 2008, 8:39 pm

Tim A number of people swear by Gillespie paints. I like the paint. Try this link.

http://www.armyjeepparts.com/order_page ... ttom_1.htm

This is another link that I just fell into while surfing. Looks interesting.

http://www.milspray.com/index.html

Good luck in your quest.

Floyd
1961 M151
1967 M416
1988 M35A2C
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member

mrdibbles
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by mrdibbles » February 15th, 2008, 9:15 pm

I strongly suggest you go Gillespie. The best dealer for that I know is RAPCO. They sell more of it than anyone and because of that it's always fresh. Gillespie is GREAT paint. I tried the Aervoe brand and had horrific results. Here's the link to RAPCO. The guy's name is Mark Dodd.

http://www.rapcoparts.com/
1992 Mercedes-Benz 250GD Wolf - Former German Army
St. Augustine, Florida

k8icu
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by k8icu » February 15th, 2008, 11:41 pm

Rapco is the official distributor of the paint from the manufacture. He actually sells the paint to the other vendors. I know because I looked into buying from Gillispie and was promptly told to go speak to Rapco.

I have used both Aervoe and Gillispie and I personnally think that Aervoe sucks. It fades very quickly and just is not a good paint. Gillispie is easy to shoot and the color stays for a long time.
There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove.....

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » February 16th, 2008, 12:50 am

Gillespie is also available in rattle cans for touchup or small parts. Aervoe may also be available in rattle cans but It seems that Gillespie is the brand of choice for the M151.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

Cobra5
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Cobra5 » February 16th, 2008, 6:30 pm

Thanks guys,

I'll have to check and see if they will ship. I remember there's one place that will not ship. I thought I could go to an auto paint supplier give them the mil spec and they could mix up a batch. I never heard of Gillespie. I was thinking more along the lines of regular auto paint but I'm guessing this brand is more durable, right? What do you guys think about finishing with a matt clear coat for added protection?

mrdibbles
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by mrdibbles » February 16th, 2008, 6:49 pm

m-11 wrote:Thanks guys,

I'll have to check and see if they will ship. I remember there's one place that will not ship. I thought I could go to an auto paint supplier give them the mil spec and they could mix up a batch. I never heard of Gillespie. I was thinking more along the lines of regular auto paint but I'm guessing this brand is more durable, right? What do you guys think about finishing with a matt clear coat for added protection?
I don't think it is necessary to treat it with any clear coat. A trick that works really well, once the paint has cured, is to "seal" it with Pledge. The pledge has UV protection in it and it will also seal the paint so you can wipe off any oil that you might spill on it. I was provided this tip by a long time restorer of MVs and his 10 year old Jeeps still look new. It will darken the color a little bit but it doesn't bother me one bit. Also... the Gillespie is VERY forgiving paint. It goes on easy, is not prone to running, and RAPCO absolutely does ship. Get yourself plenty of spray cans too. You will use them for touch ups and to hit areas you've missed. They blend perfectly.
St. Augustine, Florida

Cobra5
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Cobra5 » February 16th, 2008, 7:01 pm

I just checked out Rapco and I noticed they do ship. The 4 gal package deal seems to be the cheapest. How much green paint did you use on your project? I'm thinking I'll shoot the green and perhaps rattle can the other 3 colors. What do you think?

mrdibbles
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by mrdibbles » February 16th, 2008, 7:12 pm

m-11 wrote:I just checked out Rapco and I noticed they do ship. The 4 gal package deal seems to be the cheapest. How much green paint did you use on your project? I'm thinking I'll shoot the green and perhaps rattle can the other 3 colors. What do you think?
I think two gallons is the rule for a 1/4 ton. I'd go that route and buy a couple cases of rattle. Trust me you're gonna find a use for them.
St. Augustine, Florida

k8icu
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by k8icu » February 17th, 2008, 1:01 pm

You will not use a full gallon to do the base color and then the other colors are even less. But like all of us we find other uses for the extra paint including repainting the wheelbarrow, the lawn mower etc... :)

You can get automotive paint, but the PITA about it is it is expensive to use and you'll have to mix the paint up. You'll get a gallon of the color, plus then you'll have to mix in a ratio of flatner, plus a ratio of hardner, plus thinner. Each item cost and the price adds up to over $100 for just one gallon of paint. Where as the Gillispie is less than $50 for a gallon (I haven't priced it lately) and it's ready to go. Just thin and shoot. And both the auto paint and the Gillispie are about the same in durability.
There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove.....

Cobra5
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Cobra5 » February 17th, 2008, 1:53 pm

I use both Dupont and PPG products at work. The PPG epoxy primer is the only one I've had to use a reducer. I've heard the automotive paints are thinner than what I've been using. The Gillispie sounds like a good product with no mixing and reasonably priced. However, with the added cost of shipping it may cost me more than buying automotive paint locally. This I will have to check into.

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » February 17th, 2008, 5:27 pm

I think one of the best things about the Gillespie paint is that the rattle cans match the color of the gallons perfectly, and the touch ups using them blend right in. The only thing about using it, is you have to wait a while to put your stuff back on the tub, as it is really an implement paint similar to what is used on tractors, etc. It stays "soft" for a while, so if you put your seats, top bows, etc on too soon, it will always show. I took my jeep home after painting and left it in the garage for a few days with a kerosene heater and a couple of electric space heaters running,(kept the garage at around 115 degrees Fahrenheit) and it "set" the paint real nice. Had it been summer, I could have achieved the same results just pushing it out in the sun during the day. Anyone who has set on any 24087 paint after it set in the sun while wearing shorts knows what I mean.
Last edited by raymond on February 17th, 2008, 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

moose53
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by moose53 » February 17th, 2008, 5:30 pm

raymond wrote:I think one of the best things about the Gillespie paint is that the rattle cans match the color of the gallons perfectly, and the touch ups using them blend right in.
thats true, and they matched the original paint on my jeep and trailer perfectly too. I wont use anything else.

Jim
Zigzag50, Northeast51, KC2QDZ
MVPA # 30032 G838.org

--------------------------------------
1971 G838-M151A2 1966 G857-M416
1968 G748-M101A1 1976 G748-M116A1
1990 MEP-701A

Real jeeps have horizontal grille slots

Cobra5
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Cobra5 » February 19th, 2008, 12:01 am

Okay while I'm on the subject of paint, can someone point me in the right direction for the different camo pattern colors? I remember reading it somewhere. It gave the different colors and the 3 and 4 color camo combos. It called the colors out by mil spec. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

moose53
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by moose53 » February 19th, 2008, 4:30 am

3 color camo is: 34094 (383 green) 30051 (383 brown) and 911 (flat black)

4 color camo is: 34079 (forest green) 30118 (drab brown) 30277 (sand) and 911 (flat black)

viet nam era mutts were 24087 semi-gloss olive drab

Jim
Zigzag50, Northeast51, KC2QDZ
MVPA # 30032 G838.org

1971 G838-M151A2 1966 G857-M416
1968 G748-M101A1 1976 G748-M116A1
1990 MEP-701A

Real jeeps have horizontal grille slots